• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How come everyone here can draw

Anyone can draw. Heck, my chemist engineer s/o can draw even if it's not Michelangelo level.

If you're wondering on the level of skill, it'll depend on the amount of practice and discipline each person has done.

years of practice, nobody just picks up a pencil and is amazing

i disagree that everyone here "can" draw (in the way that youu're using the word), there are a ton of beginners and the people that are ok just practice a lot lul

literally ive spent 15 minutes trying to draw one tiny hand in a doodle. if you want nice art, you have to work at it and practice for years

sweat, blood, and tears fam ;^))))
(but seriously?? just grab a piece of paper and start drawing your favourite characters or smth. don't compare yourself to others, just praaaaactice)

Dedication and a desire to learn. I've only been legitimately practicing for six months, and I think that I'm alright!

I want to be good at art but I gave up because I can't improve :( I don't wanna spend 10 years just to draw decent, and I don't have an art teacher or anything...

I want to be good at art but I gave up because I can't improve :( I don't wanna spend 10 years just to draw decent, and I don't have an art teacher or anything...

??? well ur not gonna be able to be good at art unless you spend time and effort practicing ??? i dont have an art teacher either and yet i still practice ??? u cant just pick up a pen and be amazing instantly

Most of us didn't have art teachers either. There are a lot of helpful tutorials online and guides as well. If you want to draw but don't want to put in the effort then don't complain. You don't even have to spend 10 years to draw decently (perhaps 3 to 5 depending on what you consider decent)

I'm not the best at drawing, but i have been drawing for about 3 years and i can agree the practice helped a lot.
Looking back at my old drawings compared to my new ones, i'm much happier with my skill level now. I know i'm the artist i aspired to be when i was younger, but now i have new goals and idols.

i mean anyone with a hand can draw
or feet :)

unless u mean everyone has skills here, not LITERALLY everyone does imo like theres plenty people that never post in the museum

but those that do have decent skill spend a lot of time drawing and practicing to be good at it. you cant just ignore the fact that anyone who makes something you think is good, actually took time out of their life & an effort to draw that. and there's no magical way to be any different from them

trust me if there were some magical way, all artists would already be on that lmao

art is something you have to work for and improve on, if you do want to be "good" at drawing. its similar to how if you want to have a career in something, you go to college for it, get a degree, or work hard at improving yourself in the area from the bottom-up.

just because it's a creative practice, drawing/art is not any different from literally any other field of expertise

also you shouldnt compare yourself to this ambiguous "everyone" like who are they? why should they matter to you, why compare to anyone? :/

Last edited:
It''s soo hard. I stink at it. I guess I need practice, lol.

Animal Crossing is a creative game, so it's only natural it attracts the creative types! I can't draw, but I can make video games, and thus that's what I'm doing :)

I find it best not to compare your art to others, thats just gonna make you hate your artwork. I stopped drawing around year ago and recently got back into it, its taking me time to get a style that i'm happy with but its worth it~
I believe that everyone can draw, it just takes time and practice to get some thing decent, I always remember what my teacher told me, that art is a bunch of shapes on a page. {Or some thing like that lol}

If you really wanna start drawing then just do it, it might take you some time but its always a good feeling {some times cringy} when you look back at your old art and see how much you have improved~

Starting out is the hardest part. It takes years to refine your art style. Some things to consider:

1. Find a piece of artwork you like and study it. Some artists find it useful to try and copy the piece for practice. This will teach you the basic motions and things to consider. If it doesn't look as good, why? What is missing? This will help you learn.

2. You can learn art by looking as much as can doing. I spent a couple of years just browsing artwork on the internet. This was important for me because it helped me understand what sort of style I wanted to go for in terms of colour, composition, and shading.

3. During my first year of learning I found it useful to trace freehand. This helped me learn how to use shapes, and lines, for the right result. Sometimes edit: I know this is a controversial point for some because of the stigma around copying art without permission, so it is up to you if you want to try this. Some people can't draw circles on their own without tracing other circles to get a feel for the motions.

4. Read up on complimentary colours. Usually you can just see if a colour combination is not working out, but it helps to not guess.

5. People will tell you to stay motivated and not give up, but in reality "art block" is a real symptom. If you aren't feeling up to it, give it a few days or a week and try again. We all feel this, don't worry if it hits you.

The quickest way to learn is to get right in to what you want to do. That is being inspired by others, finding your style, and the basics.

Last edited:
Starting out is the hardest part. It takes years to refine your art style. Some things to consider:

1. Find a piece of artwork you like, and try and copy it. This will teach you the basic motions and things to consider. If it doesn't look as good, why? What is missing? This will help you learn.

2. You can learn art by looking as much as can doing. I spent a couple of years just browsing artwork on the internet. This was important for me because it helped me understand what sort of style I wanted to go for in terms of colour, composition, and shading.

3. Don't be afraid to trace. Try and trace freehand though. This way it'll take you many attempts to get it right. Like in the first point, if it doesn't look right, why not? It will teach you importance of details and how tiny differences can greatly affect artwork.

4. Read up on complimentary colours. Usually you can just see if a colour combination is not working out, but it helps to not guess.

5. People will tell you to stay motivated and not give up, but in reality "art block" is a real symptom. If you aren't feeling up to it, give it a few days or a week and try again.

Some of these points are controversial for some, but really the quickest way to learn is to get right in to what you want to do. That is copying artwork. Obviously you don't then promote that artwork as yours, but the importance is the learning, not the result, until you feel confident producing original art.

if you're copying / tracing another artists work, you should really check their policy on that though!!! and definitely don't post it online / share it without their permission :eek:

I know right?! 'Everyone here's like "Here's my crappy art, lol" *the art= Gorgeous* Me 'srsly?'

- - - Post Merge - - -

I drew a lot when I was younger and I was pretty good at it, but I have had the time the lat few years.

And just remember: For every awesome art someone posts, there's a notebook full of bad tries and rage scribbles.

Last edited:
Back