• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you like/dislike/are ambivalent toward anime?

I just dislike it in general. My friend showed me a video of this dragon maid or something's theme tune (which was upbeat k-pop ew) and I wanted to play dead like a dog so it would be over sooner. :)

k-pop is korean pop
anime
is japanese
j-pop?

There are a lot of anime that I love, but I also find a lot of anime to be garbage so overall my feeling towards it is pretty negative.

ffshhhh the zero escape series/999 is really good and a lot less ~animu~ than I expected it to be, you should definitely consider playing it
I grew up watching anime with my older sisters so I've kind of become desensitized to the cutesy art style/tropes/excessive melodramatics that so many people find off-putting. I mean sure they can come off as silly and a bit annoying sometimes, but it doesn't bother me as much if the show has a good story and good animation?
I feel like western shows are a lot more fast paced and focus on the fluidity/expressiveness of the animation, the humor and the human-ness of the characters, whilst japanese shows focus more on the realism of the animation (like idk how to explain it... it feels more subtle and human??), and emphasizing characters' thoughts/feelings+the stakes, for the dramatic effect/emotional impact. ofc there's a lot of trash in both, but investing enough time and attention in any good show, western or japanese, is always rewarding

ffshhhh the zero escape series/999 is really good and a lot less ~animu~ than I expected it to be, you should definitely consider playing it
I grew up watching anime with my older sisters so I've kind of become desensitized to the cutesy art style/tropes/excessive melodramatics that so many people find off-putting. I mean sure they can come off as silly and a bit annoying sometimes, but it doesn't bother me as much if the show has a good story and good animation?
I feel like western shows are a lot more fast paced and focus on the fluidity/expressiveness of the animation, the humor and the human-ness of the characters, whilst japanese shows focus more on the realism of the animation (like idk how to explain it... it feels more subtle and human??), and emphasizing characters' thoughts/feelings+the stakes, for the dramatic effect/emotional impact. ofc there's a lot of trash in both, but investing enough time and attention in any good show, western or japanese, is always rewarding

Haha yeahhh maybe I will give 999 a go sometime, thanks for that...

No you're right, I think western shows (animated ones) have more fluidity and unique expressions/are more different from each other in style and content. I don't watch enough western cartoons though so maybe there are some repetitive things out there. I guess I'm coming from some very new, creative, and innovative shows (Steven Universe, Adventure Time, etc.) which has probably biased me. But I get how stock narratives can also be enjoyable... I just can't get into them unless there's some sort of ironic take or diversity. Even as a kid watching Pokemon I was always so bored of how Team Rocket pops up in each episode and then is promptly defeated.

Maybe there's a subcategory of anime that I would like! I think I saw a bit of FLCL once, and thought 'oh this is neat.' I won't touch anything with eyes like this though:

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 10.51.35 AM.png

One step at a time

Last edited:
I think I'm more picky if anything. I don't mind the media as a whole but a lot of series are basically bishoujo/bishonen with little to none deep story and if they try to make a story it only becomes like, edgy/emo and just appeals to either a clique fan mass or just too mainstream.

I've watched maybe, 6-7 anime in total (longest being the old Sailor Moon and then a few shorter series). So I can't say I'm a super fan but I don't hate it either. There are probably good (old) animes that I can concentrate on if I make an effort but yeah I prefer manga or other media tbh.

Anyone who has ever dabbled in anime or manga is a weeaboo in my opinion. I dislike weeaboos. By that logic, I dislike just about everyone on this site.

In all seriousness, it's just not my thing. Maybe it's the art style, maybe it's the fact that they're either in Japanese or Engrish, I don't know. In terms of cartoons, I love The Simpsons (although newer episodes can burn in a fire) and enjoy some others to some extent but anything enjoyable is far and few between.

I prefer manga, but I have really hard time getting into it because so much of the manga out there just follows the same tropes over and over again. Even in shoujo manga, there's almost always some kind of love triangle. Or shounen manga, the hero is supposed to be some lovable idiot with a smarter female sidekick/love interest.
Is it too much to ask for something new?

I'm ambivalent towards anime. I like some anime and play anime-related video games such as Fire Emblem but otherwise, I don't care less. But there are some weebs that REALLY ruin the experience for anime for me ("I bet you don't even know [insert anime character here]" when watching a new anime).

I only really enjoyed one - maybe two anime series? I used to really like death note in 8th grade (cough my username)

There was another thing i watched, which was kiiind of anime? It was more of an anime parody on youtube, an abridged version of an anime i never actually watched. A friend of mine wanted me to watch it, and I did find it pretty funny, though I still don't see the appeal to most animes.

I only really enjoyed one - maybe two anime series? I used to really like death note in 8th grade (cough my username)

There was another thing i watched, which was kiiind of anime? It was more of an anime parody on youtube, an abridged version of an anime i never actually watched. A friend of mine wanted me to watch it, and I did find it pretty funny, though I still don't see the appeal to most animes.

If you have a Netflix account, I recommend you look into Ouran High School Host Club. It is an anime, but it's also a parody of shoujo anime/manga and makes fun of all the popular tropes used in the genre. It's really funny.
It's one of the few anime that I can actually stand to watch.

If you have a Netflix account, I recommend you look into Ouran High School Host Club. It is an anime, but it's also a parody of shoujo anime/manga and makes fun of all the popular tropes used in the genre. It's really funny.
It's one of the few anime that I can actually stand to watch.

I do have netflix! I'll probably check that out now, thank you for the suggestion! Always looking for new shows to watch :)
(Even if they are anime, something i havent really enjoyed very much thus far)

I like drawings, art and animation, so I like anime, but unfortunately it became like fast food ...Sometimes I have the impression to watch the same thing over and over but there is also a part of me who likes nonsense, kitsch and that anime logic. Some are very beautiful, some are just a way to pass time.

I know some people that hate the genre but like TV series, that are not really better, poor story, lot of clich?s and nonsense. In my opinion, most of shows, whatever the genre, are bad but I still find them entertaining, go figure.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I like some anime, but I don't go hardcore crazy over it. It can get kind of repetitive as well. Pretty much ninety percent of anime that I've watched has these things in common:

-winning battles through the power of love and friendship
-some sort of bath scene
-lady with a large bust
-parental death/absence

It reminds me of something funny: Once a woman whose daughter is 13 asked me if some shows were appropriate for her daughter and I thought the best was to watch them herself and then decide if her kid could watch it or not. Her first reaction was: "Those kids are living alone without adult supervision, and they go out at night, and use knives!!!.." and she hadn't seen the fan service yet XD

This is interesting because Animal Crossing has an anime style to it.

In fact, any kind of Japanese cartoon is anime.

Is that true? I always thought that anime was a seperate thing from other Japanese cartoons.

I'm really not even into anime that much anymore, mostly because I've become so desensitized to all the tropes/cliches that most of them have. However, there are plenty of absolute diamonds out there like Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Erased, and Your Lie in April that I absolutely love watching.

(NOTE: The next paragraph is simply my opinion.)

The other day I watched the first episode of "Kill la Kill" on Netflix since someone reccomended it to me, and it had more tropes/cliches then any other kind of anime I had ever watched. I really wasn't that interested in it because of all the things that really turned me off from watching anime in the first place.

Besides a small spurt in middle school/early high school I haven't really watched anime. And during that small space I did I watched Inuyasha, FMA, and Bleach on Adult Swim... and then I think I watched some Fruits Basket with my friends. It was short lived and I was never a huge fan. The one I was most into was FMA and I would RP online in groups but like I said, it was short lived. I never bought merch or obsessed over it like my friends did, then my interest just dropped off.

I really don't like many of the shows, I've seen blips here and there that my boyfriend likes and I'm just not into them, he watches stuff like SAO, Tokyo Ghoul and stuff like that, there was one with a pig, I don't remember the name of the show but the pigs name was Hock or something. I think a lot of them seem over dramatized and over sexualized. There's nothing I hate more than anime girl screams...

I'm sure if I looked I'd find something I like, but I would prefer dubbed because I don't like to have to read my cartoons, and most people agree that it's not the same as the original show. But yeah, I just don't really watch it or care to?

Is that true? I always thought that anime was a seperate thing from other Japanese cartoons.

"Anime is a Japanese term for hand-drawn or computer animation. The word is the abbreviated pronunciation of "animation" in Japanese, where this term references all animation. Outside Japan, anime is used to refer specifically to animation from Japan or as a Japanese-disseminated animation style often characterized by colorful graphics, vibrant characters and fantastical themes" Quote from wikipedia

Back