• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Have you had your wisdom teeth pulled?

I have had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled. At the time, I couldn’t afford to be put under (meaning to sleep through it) so I had to be awake and watch while they drilled, pulled, and took out my teeth. It was a very interesting process to go through. The worst part were the shots, they gave me 6 very painful shots in my cheeks that were a nightmare. The surgery didn’t take very long and I fortunately had a very smooth surgery. It was fun, the surgeon talked me through each step he was doing and we even cracked a few jokes. I don’t know if you will be awake during yours but if you are going to be awake there is no need to worry my experience was an overall pleasant one.

I had liquid pain killers and antibiotics and I managed to keep down the antibiotics. However, I couldn’t stomach the pain killers, I would vomit every time I had them so I didn’t take any pain killers during my recovery but the pain really wasn’t too terrible so I was able to manage without them. I mostly iced my cheeks which helped a lot. I ate foods like mashed potatoes, jello, and applesauce (basically all I had for about a week). I also tried to only drink water during my recovery. I stayed away from ice creams and other sugary things because too much sugar seemed to agitate my wounds. My main advice would be to put multiple ice packs in the freezer so you can take one out and put one back in so you are never without an ice pack when you need one.

Oh damn really??? Being awake would probably freak me out. ;; Ahhh I see, I don't mind shots at all tbh, and it's been a while since I had a shot in my mouth, but I don't remember it being really painful or anything.

It's too bad that you couldnt stomach the pain killers, but at least you were able to manage without them!
I've only had applesauce so far, but I plan to try ice cream or a smoothie or something later on. Hopefully the sweetness won't irritate me, cuz I was looking forward to ice cream tbh l-lol.
And yup! My mom got some so i always got a cold one aha.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I had mine taken out over spring break this year, soooo fun

Honestly the worst part of it was the IV because I am not down with having things poked into me for prolonged periods of time

After the surgery I didn't feel pain, just numbness. I never took any of the pain meds

I ate a lot of GoGurt, pudding, those protein breakfast drinks, more GoGurt, some more GoGurt for good measure

There are these smoothies called Dole Shakers, they're like $3 each but already have the yogurt and fruit in them so you just defrost and add juice

Ah really? Haha I know a lot of people don't like needles. The woman who was preparing me seemed more stressed about the IV than I was. Needles and stuff don't really scare me so I as just chill. xD It was probably the most pain I felt all day today, like when she stuck it in but I really didn't care that much lol.

Yeah i felt no pain right after too, just really numb and needed assistance to walk around cuz I was tipsy.

Loool I see, all the GoGurt haha. xD I've only had applesauce so far, and eating is definitely somewhat of a challenge. :')

And ah, I see! TY for letting me know lol

- - - Post Merge - - -

Funny thing, I literally just got them pulled out yesterday.

Edit: Guess I should talk about my experience since you're probably getting yours pulled soon. The hardest part really is getting the anesthetic administered. They run it through a tube injected into one of the veins in your arm, and the first pinch of that is definitely the hardest part.

In regards to the actual operation, I was out within maybe 4-5 minutes of them running the anesthetic through me and didn't wake up until they finished pulling out my teeth. My tongue and both of my lips were completely numb when I left and I had to be walked to my car. In terms of discomfort, I've felt a mild amount but Motrin has seemed to ward it off pretty well and >90% of the numbness was gone within 12 hours (please note that I'm not a doctor so follow your doctor's directions, not necessarily mine). I've only eaten ice cream and applesauce since the operation to be safe, but I think I'll be eating stuff beyond soft foods soon.

Hope this helps, I was nervous going into it because I hadn't done anything like it before. It's not that bad. :D

Did you really? What impeccable timing xD

Pff tbh I agree, like I don't care for needles and even that didn't bother m, I was really chill with it but it was the most pain I felt today, cuz I was out like a light during the surgery and only woke up to numbness and feeling tipsy haha. She actually ended up poking me twice because at first she tried putting it on my arm (the inside part) but ended up doing my hand instead so x2 the poke, lol.

I was out in like, 1-2 minutes I swear, cuz right after she put the stuff in, a min later I felt the room spinning (which she told me I would feel) and that's the last thing I remember.I had to hold my dad's hand as we walked back to the car cuz I was all wobbly. xD
I've actually been feeling pretty fine rn, a lot better than I thought I'd be doing.

You really did help! I checked this thread quickly before leaving for my surgery and it did make me feel better, so thank you for sharing!

Last edited:
Oh damn really??? Being awake would probably freak me out. ;; Ahhh I see, I don't mind shots at all tbh, and it's been a while since I had a shot in my mouth, but I don't remember it being really painful or anything.

It's too bad that you couldnt stomach the pain killers, but at least you were able to manage without them!
I've only had applesauce so far, but I plan to try ice cream or a smoothie or something later on. Hopefully the sweetness won't irritate me, cuz I was looking forward to ice cream tbh l-lol.
And yup! My mom got some so i always got a cold one aha.

I had never had any issue with shots or needles before in my life, but the day I got my wisdom teeth out was the day my opinion on shots changed forever T.T
I have had many shots in my mouth before but the shots they gave me were different then the ones you usually have at the dentist. The shots they have to give you are more than twice the size of the regular shot needles they use in dentist work, and they have to be pushed into multiple places inside the mouth deep into the tissue and face muscles and be held there for minutes at a time. They even have to give you pre-shots using the regular sized needles, a special grade numbing gel and this other crazy liquid coating (I can't remember what it's called) before they can insert the needles. Just remembering it gives me the shivers >.<

I'm glad everything went well with your surgery. The first day and a half are the worst but after that you will probably be feeling at least a little better.

Did you really? What impeccable timing xD

Pff tbh I agree, like I don't care for needles and even that didn't bother m, I was really chill with it but it was the most pain I felt today, cuz I was out like a light during the surgery and only woke up to numbness and feeling tipsy haha. She actually ended up poking me twice because at first she tried putting it on my arm (the inside part) but ended up doing my hand instead so x2 the poke, lol.

I was out in like, 1-2 minutes I swear, cuz right after she put the stuff in, a min later I felt the room spinning (which she told me I would feel) and that's the last thing I remember.I had to hold my dad's hand as we walked back to the car cuz I was all wobbly. xD
I've actually been feeling pretty fine rn, a lot better than I thought I'd be doing.

You really did help! I checked this thread quickly before leaving for my surgery and it did make me feel better, so thank you for sharing!

I closed my eyes when they started running the anesthetic through my veins so I just went straight knocked out.

Yeah, I know, it's not that bad really. Only thing that's been bad is that my jaw has been a bit sore but otherwise I'm pretty much fine.

Yeah, no problem! Really interesting timing to see this thread really haha.

I had never had any issue with shots or needles before in my life, but the day I got my wisdom teeth out was the day my opinion on shots changed forever T.T
I have had many shots in my mouth before but the shots they gave me were different then the ones you usually have at the dentist. The shots they have to give you are more than twice the size of the regular shot needles they use in dentist work, and they have to be pushed into multiple places inside the mouth deep into the tissue and face muscles and be held there for minutes at a time. They even have to give you pre-shots using the regular sized needles, a special grade numbing gel and this other crazy liquid coating (I can't remember what it's called) before they can insert the needles. Just remembering it gives me the shivers >.<

I'm glad everything went well with your surgery. The first day and a half are the worst but after that you will probably be feeling at least a little better.

Ah I see, oh man though that description, jeez I'm glad I was asleep. i have a bad pain tolerance too so I'd probably have cried like a baby l-lol... but it would be a lot better to deal with those shots and that whole process than to have nothing at all aha, so at least there's that.

Aww thank you! I'm actually feeling fine right now surprisingly, I thought i would feel too crappy to even talk or message anyone.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I closed my eyes when they started running the anesthetic through my veins so I just went straight knocked out.

Yeah, I know, it's not that bad really. Only thing that's been bad is that my jaw has been a bit sore but otherwise I'm pretty much fine.

Yeah, no problem! Really interesting timing to see this thread really haha.

Ah I see, I remember just looking around then I was dead to the world haha.

But ah I see, I see. Starting tomorrow I gotta do salt rinses as well as use this special mouth wash i was prescribed, which I'm kinda like ehhh cuz I'm lazy and just wanna lie down, but I'm not just gonna ignore stuff I'm supposed to do haha.

Yeah though I can imagine, xD I'm glad I got comments because tbh I wasn't sure if anyone would care/notice. It's just nice for me to read what people have gone through and all that. ^^

Wisdom teeth are teeth that grow into your mouth later than most others. In many cases it caused tooth crowding and other not so good things, which is why many have them extracted.

Oh. Idk if I have those or not :p why would they grow anyway?

Oh. Idk if I have those or not :p why would they grow anyway?

Well depends on your age. Mine actually hadn't grown yet, so I had to have mine cut out. People usually get the surgery done when they're 17 (sometimes 16) or sometime during their 20's.

Update: The upper left side in my mouth re-opened or something.. idek there's been blood and I'm just sjksfdf why. :')

I had my bottom two out, with local anesthesia (needles). Ummmm NOT NUMB ENOUGH, it felt agonizing + could hear them crunching my teeth to bits.

I thankfully only had one wisdom tooth, lower right, but it was impacted so it essentially had to be dug out of my gum ; v ; it hurt a lot afterwards and I had to grossly get food out of the wound for a while... sorry that was probably TMI ;_; I'm soooo glad I didn't have more!!

I had my bottom two out, with local anesthesia (needles). Ummmm NOT NUMB ENOUGH, it felt agonizing + could hear them crunching my teeth to bits.

Oh dear, I'm so sorry about that! ;; At least it's over ><

- - - Post Merge - - -

I thankfully only had one wisdom tooth, lower right, but it was impacted so it essentially had to be dug out of my gum ; v ; it hurt a lot afterwards and I had to grossly get food out of the wound for a while... sorry that was probably TMI ;_; I'm soooo glad I didn't have more!!

Ah really? Darn ;; That doesn't sound too pleasant... at least you only had one? They had to cut all four of mine out since they hadn't poked through my gums yet.

Update: The temptation to eat solid foods has never been so strong, I'm going crazy lmao

I had all 4 of mine pulled at once, while asleep of course. I was 13, I believe. My dentist told me mine came in early and to get them taken out as soon as possible.

All I really remember from it was that I constantly wanted ice on my cheeks, at all times. Like, even 2 weeks after the operation and once healing had began. It really was a pretty easy experience for me. No complications or problems or anything.

Question for people: How long until you started eating more solid foods? And how long until you were able to fully transition to your regular diet again? :')

Yep! It was super easy for me, although I had bruises from the needles on my hands for a couple of weeks longer than I should have. Other than that, I just made sure to follow the instructions and not drink out of straws, etc, and no issues happened. I even got to keep two of my teeth that they pulled out in one piece. :D

Update: I ate like solid food fir the first time. It was those really small pastas? Pastina brand or whatever because I heard that was easier to eat and chew, which it was. It also felt really satisfying to eat something solid. :') I tasted a bit of blood though after I finished eating, so I rinsed and put some gauze in just in case...

I had mine pulled during my neck surgery. I had an abscess from a bad tooth in my neck and it needed drain. During the surgery, I asked if they could remove the wisdom teeth as well, and they did.

Back