Have you had your wisdom teeth pulled?

Not to scare you, but take their deadlines for food and water seriously. You don't want dry sockets like someone I know had.

Not to scare you, but take their deadlines for food and water seriously. You don't want dry sockets like someone I know had.

Deadlines? Do you mean as in, no food or water starting at this time kinda thing? Cuz if so don't worry i don't do that. I'm not allowed to eat after midnight (going to bed before that anyways).

Yes, I had no pain though; just swelling. My doctor numbed up my mouth pretty good so I didn't feel a thing (my head got pulled around a lot though lol). It was smooth sailing for me, I just had to take my antibiotics. I was scared I'd be in pain all day for 2-3 weeks, but in the end I worried for nothing. Just like others have said, it's only soft foods until your mouth heals. Soup, mashed potatoes, pudding, etc. Smoothies or ice cream can make a nice dessert too :D

My dad told me I looked like Lionel Richie when my jaw swelled up lol.

Yes, I had no pain though; just swelling. My doctor numbed up my mouth pretty good so I didn't feel a thing (my head got pulled around a lot though lol). It was smooth sailing for me, I just had to take my antibiotics. I was scared I'd be in pain all day for 2-3 weeks, but in the end I worried for nothing. Just like others have said, it's only soft foods until your mouth heals. Soup, mashed potatoes, pudding, etc. Smoothies or ice cream can make a nice dessert too :D

My dad told me I looked like Lionel Richie when my jaw swelled up lol.

Oh wow haha that's good! And ah I see, I have painkillers I'm suposed to take and the day after the surgery there's this mouthwash I need to use for 2-3 days iirc,,
But yeah oh man I've been worried about the pain aha, I'm pretty sure I have a low pain tolerance and I'm just :') rip. I know it's generally just a week or a few days, though but I can't help but worry haha.
Soft foods will definitely be my best friend haha.

Omggg pfff xD

Deadlines? Do you mean as in, no food or water starting at this time kinda thing? Cuz if so don't worry i don't do that. I'm not allowed to eat after midnight (going to bed before that anyways).

Yes that. If you eat or drink after midnight you might throw up when you wake up from surgery and get dry socket

I haven't had my wisdom teeth out, but I am recovering from oral surgery right now! I am one week post op and my teeth are wired shut. :( I had surgery on my jaw to fix my bite. Teeth are wired for three more weeks. I've been drinking bolthouse farms drinks. I reallyy like their protein coffee drink. Getting things with protein is good to help healing.

Also ask your surgeon about any foods you should avoid! They should be able to provide you with a list of good and bad drinks. :)

Oh wow haha that's good! And ah I see, I have painkillers I'm suposed to take and the day after the surgery there's this mouthwash I need to use for 2-3 days iirc,,
But yeah oh man I've been worried about the pain aha, I'm pretty sure I have a low pain tolerance and I'm just :') rip. I know it's generally just a week or a few days, though but I can't help but worry haha.
Soft foods will definitely be my best friend haha.

Omggg pfff xD

Yes, very! I took pain killers the first night when the numbness started to go away (cause I thought I'd be in pain), and I was high as a kite afterwards. Thankfully I didn't need them again. My doctor told me I had to use salt water instead of mouth wash.
So do I, I think, that's why I was so worried xD but I'm sure you'll be good. It isn't always as bad as we think it'll be, be sure to tell us all about it once you're able! :D

I haven't had my wisdom teeth out, but I am recovering from oral surgery right now! I am one week post op and my teeth are wired shut. :( I had surgery on my jaw to fix my bite. Teeth are wired for three more weeks. I've been drinking bolthouse farms drinks. I reallyy like their protein coffee drink. Getting things with protein is good to help healing.

Also ask your surgeon about any foods you should avoid! They should be able to provide you with a list of good and bad drinks. :)

Oh man really? Damnn,,, ;; I hope the healing process is going well for you! And it's good that you like those drinks haha.

I know things like seeds and grains are bad, also popcorn (popcorn sounds like hell tbh). I bought a bunch of food like pudding, jello, stuff to make smoothies, yogurt and ice cream (also my parents making me this soup) so I think I'm safe in terms of staying away from the bad foods haha.

I WAS HAVING HORRIBLE JAW PAIN AND I THOUGHT MINE WERE COMING IN RITE
THE DENTIST SAID IM GRINDING MY TEETH AT NIGHT AND IM *NEVER* GETTING MINE

perks of having a tiny af mouth, ur jaw bone covers ur wisdoms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, very! I took pain killers the first night when the numbness started to go away (cause I thought I'd be in pain), and I was high as a kite afterwards. Thankfully I didn't need them again. My doctor told me I had to use salt water instead of mouth wash.
So do I, I think, that's why I was so worried xD but I'm sure you'll be good. It isn't always as bad as we think it'll be, be sure to tell us all about it once you're able! :D

Oh I see! Omg though, high as a kite I'm laughing. xD Good thing you didn't need them again though haha. And yeah I was looking up stuff and found out about salt rinses, so I'm wondering if I have to do that as well ontop of this other special mouthwash I was prescribed?? Guess I'll find out later.
Yeah haha it's true, a lot of people who shared on here seemed to have a positive experience, so I'm hoping that will be the same case for me.

Oh I see! Omg though, high as a kite I'm laughing. xD Good thing you didn't need them again though haha. And yeah I was looking up stuff and found out about salt rinses, so I'm wondering if I have to do that as well ontop of this other special mouthwash I was prescribed?? Guess I'll find out later.
Yeah haha it's true, a lot of people who shared on here seemed to have a positive experience, so I'm hoping that will be the same case for me.

Good thing indeed lol, I wouldn't want to have to go through that again. I guess you will find out when you get there :) I'm positive it will be! I can tell you you'll be relieved once their out. Better now than later after all!

I have yet to even get my wisdom teeth. My brother actually got his around when he turned 18, and that was a year and a half ago. Idk if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I haven't gotten mine yet but I really can wait for the day that they do decide to come in...

I have had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled. At the time, I couldn?t afford to be put under (meaning to sleep through it) so I had to be awake and watch while they drilled, pulled, and took out my teeth. It was a very interesting process to go through. The worst part were the shots, they gave me 6 very painful shots in my cheeks that were a nightmare. The surgery didn?t take very long and I fortunately had a very smooth surgery. It was fun, the surgeon talked me through each step he was doing and we even cracked a few jokes. I don?t know if you will be awake during yours but if you are going to be awake there is no need to worry my experience was an overall pleasant one.

I had liquid pain killers and antibiotics and I managed to keep down the antibiotics. However, I couldn?t stomach the pain killers, I would vomit every time I had them so I didn?t take any pain killers during my recovery but the pain really wasn?t too terrible so I was able to manage without them. I mostly iced my cheeks which helped a lot. I ate foods like mashed potatoes, jello, and applesauce (basically all I had for about a week). I also tried to only drink water during my recovery. I stayed away from ice creams and other sugary things because too much sugar seemed to agitate my wounds. My main advice would be to put multiple ice packs in the freezer so you can take one out and put one back in so you are never without an ice pack when you need one.

I had mine taken out over spring break this year, soooo fun

Honestly the worst part of it was the IV because I am not down with having things poked into me for prolonged periods of time

After the surgery I didn't feel pain, just numbness. I never took any of the pain meds

I ate a lot of GoGurt, pudding, those protein breakfast drinks, more GoGurt, some more GoGurt for good measure

There are these smoothies called Dole Shakers, they're like $3 each but already have the yogurt and fruit in them so you just defrost and add juice

No and I hope I don't have too. Expensive as hell and well they are not bothering me so yeah *crosses fingers i won't have to*

Ahh thank you for all of these comments, guys, They definitely made me feel a bit better. I'd reply to all the new ones but I gotta leave soon for my surgery. Feel free to continue posting here if you have something you wanna share :)

Funny thing, I literally just got them pulled out yesterday.

Edit: Guess I should talk about my experience since you're probably getting yours pulled soon. The hardest part really is getting the anesthetic administered. They run it through a tube injected into one of the veins in your arm, and the first pinch of that is definitely the hardest part.

In regards to the actual operation, I was out within maybe 4-5 minutes of them running the anesthetic through me and didn't wake up until they finished pulling out my teeth. My tongue and both of my lips were completely numb when I left and I had to be walked to my car. In terms of discomfort, I've felt a mild amount but Motrin has seemed to ward it off pretty well and >90% of the numbness was gone within 12 hours (please note that I'm not a doctor so follow your doctor's directions, not necessarily mine). I've only eaten ice cream and applesauce since the operation to be safe, but I think I'll be eating stuff beyond soft foods soon.

Hope this helps, I was nervous going into it because I hadn't done anything like it before. It's not that bad. :D

Last edited:
Back