do you get villagers because they're top tiers or because you like them?

HungryForCereal

if it was you I'd never want to leave...
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Pink Summer Shell
Mint
Pavé
so back at the beginning i used to get villagers that were top tier because i wanted to be cool but now i just get villagers because i really like them even if they're from the bottom of the list.

Ehhh. Maybe neither? Like I guess I choose ones I like but a lot of my choices are based on what suits my town.

You really chose your villagers based on the vague tier list that floats around? Did you even like them?

I obviously like them! As you can see, In my signature, I dont keep them because they're top tier. Who doesnt like 6 Lil' wolves :p

Last edited:
You really chose your villagers based on the vague tier list that floats around? Did you even like them?

hmm ok lemme say it again. i used to only pick villagers i like from the top tiers. so yes, i liked them. but now i've expanded my taste to the bottom tiers too.

Peer Pressure kind of does that upon many at first... Then as it wears off, people begin to choose what they like.

But really, I never look at the tiering system when choosing villagers. In fact, I accuse the tiering system of invoking this peer pressure about villager choice. I have many villagers I like, such as Bree and Elmer, that probably will never become very popular here. But I think they are wonderful to have!

I let the game pick the villagers for me. Most of my villagers are lower tiers and I love them. At first I wasn't sure about a few villagers but than I got to know them. I wouldn't trade them.

I have been thinking about a mice/hamster town and will have to use cards to get them. Rodney was picked by the game and that gave me the idea of all small villagers. I wouldn't be using the tier list.

Peer Pressure kind of does that upon many at first... Then as it wears off, people begin to choose what they like.

But really, I never look at the tiering system when choosing villagers. In fact, I accuse the tiering system of invoking this peer pressure about villager choice. I have many villagers I like, such as Bree and Elmer, that probably will never become very popular here. But I think they are wonderful to have!

ya i dont even know the tiers even exist in the first place.

hmm ok lemme say it again. i used to only pick villagers i like from the top tiers. so yes, i liked them. but now i've expanded my taste to the bottom tiers too.

Well that's better I suppose but still crazy to think about. Missing out for so long because of other people's subjective opinions.

Both. I like who I like no matter their popularity level, but it's easier to start liking some more popular villagers because they have fan art and stories and extra stuff about them, so it adds to their character and makes them more appealing to a lot of people, I think. Like them being popular has given them a more distinct vibe, which in turn boosts their popularity more.

However, you can make art, stories and create a vibe for any character if you put time in yourself & then if you share what you create and people like it and are inspired by it, it could make said character more popular too probably.

RN I have a lot of top tier villagers, because I had their amiibos before I even knew a tier system existed and so I scanned them in to check them out. Some of them I loove (Zucker & Marina) and others I think are pretty cool, just ok, meh, etc.

I have villagers like Mallary, Murphy, Ursala, Joey, etc. I have them because I like them.

i played for a while before finally using the forum, so didn't know tiers were a thing until i started trying to buy villagers. i agree that some villagers are more popular than others, but i don't think that means they should be ranked like they are now. i always feel bad for tier 6 villagers like ??? they're exactly the same as other villagers besides their looks?

i do have a lot of high-tiered dreamies, but that was because i chose them before i knew about ranks. and of course, i have major soft spots of villagers like teddy (!!!!), dizzy, derwin, curt, joey, poncho, and wendy! i only have marshal right now because leopold left town and i want a smug in town at all times + he matches my color scheme ;;; ruby and erik were starters, and lol i think fang's eyes are the prettiest things. for blanche and daisy, they are total sweetie pies, i had their amiibo cards, and their color schemes match my town. none of the villagers in my town have anything to do with the fact that slightly more people like them.

... but i guess if people want to choose villagers solely based on popularity lists, they're the ones missing out on lovely teddy's brock eyebrows :') hehe

I have mainly high tier villagers, however i didnt really know they were high tier. I just go after the cute ones, and often they are very popular.

I only get villagers I like. I really don't pay attention to the popularity list. To be honest, I don't understand why some of the villagers in the top tiers are there.

I never knew tiers existed until I joined this forum. I only care about liking them, not their tiers. I love some tier 4 villagers and hate some tier 1's.

I choose the villagers I personally like the most, whether they're top tier or low tier doesn't really matter to me as long as I like them.

I mean if people like top tiers just for being popular, that's perfectly fine! They're top tiers for a reason, they're usually very likable. Marshal is #1 on the tier list but he moved into my town randomly and I fell in love almost instantly. I had no clue he was a top tier villager at the time. [or that tiers were even a thing for that matter..]

The villagers I like the most were random ones who moved into my town who grew on me.

Just don't be afraid to try new villagers. Taste is subjective, so keep the villagers YOU like, even if they're the most popular or one of the most hated villagers out there. :)

Last edited:
It's not a coincidence that the more visually appealing villagers are also the popular villagers. I like them cause they're cute and if they happen to be popular, it just means a lot of other people think the same. I really actually don't even like the fact that we have villagers in 'tiers' and whatnot. It feels very judgmental LOL??

I feel light a lot of people start to dislike the top tier villagers, and think theyre more open minded for liking lower tiers

Honestly, no one should be judged for what villagers they like. tier lists are not 'peer pressure' theyre just a way for the forums to figure out prices to sell their villagers at, and a fast way to find some real cuties

Every villager is a gem, regardless of whether they're Marshal and Diana, or Angus and Bettina

I feel light a lot of people start to dislike the top tier villagers, and think theyre more open minded for liking lower tiers

Well for me, I don't "dislike" the top tiers per se, but they do bother me. Not because they're "mainstream" or top tier, but because they've gotten...bland. It seems like most towns out there have the Marshal, Merengue, Diana, Julian, and Stitches combo that those villagers have become stale to me.

Last edited:
Back