• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

do you get villagers because they're top tiers or because you like them?

Definitely because I like the villager. I have a bunch of low tiers in my town but also top tiers that I actually like. I would never get a villager just because it was popular and I didn't even really like them.

It's your game, your town, and at the end of the day, you want to play something that you enjoy.

I honestly don't get the tier system, not do I really care for it. The villagers in my town were based on that I wanted at least one each of the personality types, and from how much I liked their appearance.

I had the luck of starting my town with more popular villagers, I'm not sure who's popular now, but my favorites never get to move.

I mostly just end up with what I like ( which usually end up being in the lower-mid tiers).

It's not a coincidence that the more visually appealing villagers are also the popular villagers. I like them cause they're cute and if they happen to be popular, it just means a lot of other people think the same.

Exactly what I was going to say *nod*. Judging people based only on appearance is awful, but it makes perfect sense to pick the cutest villagers because their looks are literally the only thing that set them apart from one another.

On one hand I understand what people mean by "overused" ones being boring now, but on the other I personally don't visit many other towns, so I'm usually seeing my villagers for the first time in-game, no matter if it's Marshal or some mostly unknown character. I choose mine based on what design I find most appealing, not on whether nobody likes them OR everyone wants them ^o^

People don't like tier one villagers because they're popular, tier one villagers are popular because people like them. The tier system isn't a way to tell everyone what villagers are better than other villagers, it's just a way for people to know how popular they are. So that a new user who wants Ankha really badly because they love Egypt and cats can know that they'll need to save up a bit. Or for someone who has Rasher moving to know that they probably won't be able to ask much for him. People like what they like. Sometimes people like what everyone else likes and other times they like something nobody else likes. As long as people are happy with the game they're playing, who cares?

I used to aim for those top tier villagers to try and see why they're popular but since I've experienced most of them living in my town at one point, I only get the villagers who I find visually appealing, popular or not. They still hover around the extremely popular to mid-tier range though haha.

When I first got acnl I had no idea about the tiers or anything! I looked up a big list online of all of the villagers, and made my own list of those I wanted the most. Some of them ended up being really popular, but some of them where at the bottom of the pack, and I love them all the same! In my first town I got Erik right away and he became my absolute favorite right away just because of his personality and his aesthetic. I'd echo the same sentiment that many others here have shared: people choose villagers they find cute, and most of the cute villagers are at the top of the charts because of this! There's a reason Marshal is super popular while Ricky is not, nothing against Ricky but his aesthetic is more harsh and a lot of people don't like that in their town! Plus I think everyone loves the pastel villagers, that's what I go on more than anything else haha

Back then I used to get those top tiered villagers, so I can be cool and be like everyone else with those kind of villagers. The villagers themselves were good. I just didn't have any special feelings for them at the end when they were living in my town. Among some of the ones who supposedly to be living and breathing in my town "forever" were Whitney, Marshal, Julian, Fang, and Rosie.

Whitney only had a special spot on my heart as memorable she was for her specialty on what clothes people wear like handpicking something for Rosie which she liked. She does give out good clothing advice to people and be nice to you. She also can be sassy at times which was rude though, but I was okay with because I wanted something different.

The other villagers were nice and that's about it. They just go along with what their personality was. Nothing memorable except for Marshal. His personality was the same, but I made a ship with him and Molly, so I guess that's sort of memorable....? It doesn't really affect me except for being a shipper of Marshal x Molly just thinking about this.

At the moment, I look toward the villagers who are not looked at from others all that much. I'm planning to have Ursala move in once Vivian moves out of my other town. I'm still getting popular villagers still that I would really like to be in my town for other reasons, not just for being cool and stuff. I'll probably have different opinions after this too. Also no offense to the other villagers. I still like them, they just don't hold a special place in my heart all the much.

How about if their house looks cool or fits into my theme?

I only really look at the tier list to get an idea on how much a villager is worth.

Last edited:
I like my villagers, even though most are in t1 or t2. I find them really cute :)

I simply looked at the list of all ACNL villagers and picked my favourites. Some I like because of nostalgia, some I like because I've grown attached to them in NL and some I like because I simply adore their design. If you compare my list of villagers to the tier list you'll see that I do have some high tier villagers. However it's purely coincidental. It makes sense statistically: the villagers are well liked so if I pick villagers solely based on who I like the chances are high they are liked by others as well.

I get them because I like them!

Personally, tier doesn't mean anything to me. If I want a villager, I don't check their ranking before moving them in, but I found out a lot of the villagers i like/have are in higher tiers. Consider me basic, lol. It's understandable though, they're in those tiers for a reason-- because a lot of people like them! xD

Last edited:
my main town is mostly villagers I became attatched to while playing WW and CF, before I even knew people had ranked villagers by tier, and as it turns out most of them are high tier. my second town is an all duck town (w 2 temporary frogs for PWPs) bc I just love all the ducks so much, I feel their underrated, since apart from the odd one, they're all low tier

I didn't know about the whole "tiers" shenanigans until I signed up on this forum in May. Yeah. I don't care who's popular or not. Whooo cares.

I gravitate to villagers I like.

The tier system is trash tbh I don't know why it exists

I go by the villagers I personally like, and my list of dreamies includes:

- 3 tier 2 villagers (Freya, Kiki, and Pietro)
- 2 tier 3 villagers (Mira and Sprinkle)
- 2 tier 4 villagers (Mint and Static)
- 3 tier 6 villagers (Doc, Sly, and Walt)

I don't care about their tier or where they stand as long as they re my favourite treasured beloved villagers it doesn' matter at all <3 Barold

Back