• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How to pronounce Deirdre?

I always pronounced it "dare-dray" and never really though about twice about it lol, but now as I think about it that's probably not how you are supposed to pronounce it

Deer-drah. It never occurred to me that it could be pronounced differently, since I also know someone in real life who pronounces it like that and spells it the exact same way.

With my accent it sounds like deer-dri (short sounding 'i' as in 'it')

With Deirdre and Beau i've always been confused. I usually pronounce them the way i read them, and if anyone corrects me i'll still stick to it anyway lol

dee-er-dray ??like idk how tf it's supposed to be pronounced and now im annoyed

Deer-druh since I also know people with similar names lol.

Last edited:
Fallout 4 had a character name Deirdre and they pronounced it Deer-drah, ever since then, that's how I pronounce it. But before I used to pronounce it Deer-dree

I say it like "Deer-Dray" but honestly, I don't have a clue of how it's supposed to be pronounced. This pronunciation is the only one that makes sense to me.

I pronounce it "Deer-Drey"

I know it's not right but it just sounds right to me

I pronounce it 'Deer-drah'
I've never heard it pronounced any other way, whether it be IRL, a character, or a celeb.
I get it, however, it's one of those names that catches you off guard at first glance because it has a bunch of letters stuck together in an uncommon pattern.

Oh so is the actual pronunciation Deer-drah? Thanks, how neat. I know someone in RL with the name but I'm not from an Anglophone country and we pronounce it 'Deh-druh' so that's how I've always said it. However, I always prefer to go with traditional pronunciation. :)

Oh so is the actual pronunciation Deer-drah? Thanks, how neat. I know someone in RL with the name but I'm not from an Anglophone country and we pronounce it 'Deh-druh' so that's how I've always said it. However, I always prefer to go with traditional pronunciation.

Stil maintain this is the correct pronunciation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9aqPFmWuJY

Back