• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Did your friend's parents ever make you do stuff when you went to their house?

Twisterheart

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Ruby
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Mint
Lobo
White Pansy
The Bell Tree Fair 2017 Patch
Whenever you went over to your friend's houses, did their parents ever make you do stuff?

When I was young, I was friends with these girls and everytime I would go to their house the parents would make me do chores. I don't mean picking up after myself either. Like they would wake us up early and take us places to go work. Like they would take us and make us work on farms, or take us to go clean people's houses, and just so on. It was a lot of work and I was like under ten. I always thought this was really weird, because my family never did this to my friends and none of my other friend's parents did stuff like this either.

Idk I was just thinking about this and I was just wondering if anyone else knew people like this?

My best friend has a huge house and like tons of siblings (5 I believe?) and all of them are under 12 so we're always expected to do something to help out but not asked/forced to. I think it's fine for friend's parents to like, ask you to help out, but being taken places to do chores for other families like you were is kinda weird I guess?

wait I just reread they made you clean up other people's houses I hope they weren't getting paid for this and didn't split any of it

wait I just reread they made you clean up other people's houses I hope they weren't getting paid for this and didn't split any of it

The parents were probably getting paid for it, but I don't think my friends got any of it. I didn't get anything. But yeah, they would make us go to people's houses to work, as well as other places. One place they'd take us a lot was this vet clinic that was closed on the weekends. They'd make us go clean and take care of the animals. They'd also make us go clean churches and civic centers

Last edited:
That's definitely really weird. Maybe the cleaning the vet clinic & churches and things could be considered volunteer work, but that's still very strange that they would make you do that when you visited.

Not my friends' parents but relatives yes, I was visiting them just once in a while but they always had chores they wanted me to do. I didn't mind when it was my grandma because she was old and needed help but sometimes I thought some uncles and aunts asked a bit too much.

I recall helping friends to clean up though.

Oh wow, that's weird!
I was always encouraged to help with dishes and vacuum,
but I'd usually try to do that anyway before leaving because we usually ate on the floor lol.
In fact I feel weird not cleaning in some way at a friend's house, almost a bad habit.

That's really weird tbh. I've never heard of something like that before. Wtf.

Usually my friend's parents don't give a crap about what I do, as long as it isn't wrecking their house.

Not really, unless it's was everyday stuff like putting stuff in the dishwasher and cleaning off the table and stuff.

I'm p sure you were forced into child labor? Did you parents know anything about that, because I am pretty sure that's illegal?

I never really had to do much at my friend's houses, we'd wash our own dishes and make food if we wanted to, sometimes help the parents with food prep for dinner, and would clean up messes we made but we never had to do hard chores or work. I helped a few of my friend's babysit their siblings as well, but I think that's pretty much the most work I've had to do.

If someone comes over to my house, they're not expected to do anything, since they're a guest. And vice versa.

Also @op unless you got compensation for that that's some weird labor you were forced into, especially if it was that much. I mean sure if you want me to help with food and making the table but that's just.... wtf.

And yeah I helped my bf's family with moving and some cleaning and stuff if I'm there but they are more like a family rather than just friends to me anyways so I don't mind too much.

Yeah, I agree with Kaydee and Sheila, isn't that illegal child labor? You're not even working at the legal age, you're not even getting money, you don't have a choice, and you're forced to do it! Wow! I'd be arguing to the parents about what the definition of 'illegal forced working' is.

Anyways, one time at a friend's house, her mum was feeling sick and she asked us to just take down the clothes from the clothesline. It wasn't an awkward favour because we were told to do that for a reason, since her mum's sick. So, all of us took the clothes down quickly. But there was one mysterious piece of clothing left— a piece of boy's underwear. All of us were arguing on whether who should take it down (don't tell me this is babyish, we were about 11 back then). I just thought that we were acting like maniacs, so I just took a peg and held it by that. But before I dropped it into the basket, I accidentally dropped it onto another girl's foot and she started screaming, and she carelessly kicked the piece of underwear off her foot; to another girl's thigh. Then it was just kicking and screaming-mania. When the mum heard us screaming, she walked outside, and just as she did, her own daughter kicked the underwear onto her mum's face. The mum fell down in shock— and broke her arm, when she was already sick. It's a long story, and I can't be bothered typing the rest, but yeah. That's what happened.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree with Kaydee and Sheila, isn't that illegal child labor? You're not even working at the legal age, you're not even getting money, you don't have a choice, and you're forced to do it! Wow! I'd be arguing to the parents about what the definition of 'illegal forced working' is.

Anyways, one time at a friend's house, her mum was feeling sick and she asked us to just take down the clothes from the clothesline. It wasn't an awkward favour because we were told to do that for a reason, since her mum's sick. So, all of us took the clothes down quickly. But there was one mysterious piece of clothing left— a piece of boy's underwear. All of us were arguing on whether who should take it down (don't tell me this is babyish, we were about 11 back then). I just throught that we were acting like maniacs, so I just took a peg and held it by that. But before I dropped it into the basket, I accidentally dropped it onto another girl's foot and she started screaming, and she carelessly kicked the piece of underwear of her foot; to another girl's thigh. Then it was just kicking and screaming-mania. When the mum heard us screaming, she walked outside, and just as she did, her own daughter kicked the underwear onto her mum's face. The mum fell down in shock— and broke her arm, when she was already sick. It's a long story, and I can't be bothered typing the rest, but yeah. That's what happened.

That's got to be the most awkward story. XD Really funny though, and it reminded me of once when I was still very young I was at my friend's dad's house and my mom had taught me earlier that week how to cook eggs so I wanted to make breakfast for all of us and her dad said that was fine, asked if I wanted help. I must have been like 10-11 year old or something, I scrambled the eggs in a bowl and got the pan and put it on the stove with some butter and was letting the butter melt really quick.... well then I walked to the living room and a cartoon was on and my ADHD child brain just was like WEE CARTOONS!

So several minutes pass and then the smoke alarm starts going off and the butter was all burnt to the pan and I still try to run in and threw my eggs into the pan and then instantly turned brown and gross and I was crying and her dad came out and was trying to calm me down saying it was ok, and I was throwing a fit cause I ruined everything and he ended up taking us out to breakfast because the house was all smelly from the burnt butter.

No, because I never visited a friends house irl except for a few times in 6th grade and their mother did nothing but sleep 24/7.

to clean up messes is one thing (messes you've made ofc)...

but doing chores???? um no thats not right

I think I at least told my grandma (who was my guardian growing up) what had happened, but I don't know about the rest of my family. This was over ten years ago, so it's been a long time. I just remember I hated it, because I thought it was ridiculous and unfair. My grandma has this mindset that if you go to other people's houses, you need to live like them and abide to their rules. So I guess she thought if I want to go over to my friends house, that I need to obey their parents and do what they ask. And since I wanted to go play with my friends and have fun, I just endured it even though I hated it.

Looking back on a lot of other things, I wonder if maybe they were struggling financially so they worked odd jobs trying to make some more money? Maybe they just did it because they liked it, or because they wanted to teach values or whatever. I really have no idea what was going on to make them do this, The whole family was kind of different so I have no idea why they did this.

This was ages ago, and I haven't seen the family in years. I just always wondered if there were other people out there who were like this too or if my friends just has weird parents.

... Well unless you are really close and you actually get something for doing it (other than just staying there.. unless you like live permanently at your friends) you shouldn't be forced. Your gran seemed a bit... old'fashioned.

Back