• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Did your friend's parents ever make you do stuff when you went to their house?

Lol no but I really think its weird tbh also I think its just to train you or smthing? idk
Mine is totally opposite... my friend volunteered to wash the dishes next thing was my sister came (obs germaphobic) and was like "Why did is he washing the dishes I only want mom to do the chores if ever I get poison or w/e he has to pay the hospital bills

Other than common courtesy of tidying up after myself / not making a mess I usually offered to do the dishes if they had cooked a meal.

That sounds pretty exploitative to be honest and I'm surprised they didn't get in trouble for it - but then again I don't know the whole story only what you have explained

Last edited:
Hm. I'd be pretty angry at them if they actually got paid from working off my back.

Then again, I had no friends when I was under the age of 10 so...

I always just did the basic putting my dishes into the sink and throwing out trash and cleaning up any mess I made when I went to friends houses. But that's just common courtesy. Once though my sister's friend stopped by out house once and I Tom Sawyered her into helping us pull out all the crab grass in the front lawn. Said friend actually sort of did end up doing a bit of chores around our house. Not any crazy amount, just what my sister also had to do. But this was because she was essentially living in our house after her father was hospitalized and her mother became severally depressed.

Your story is crazy though! Maybe it was some kind of volunteer church thing to help those in need and you got suckered into it? Sometimes when I slept over at my friends house I had to go to church with the family.

I'm never forced, but I always help out, it's being a good guest.

Making other peoples children do labor is preeeeetty suspicious if you ask me.

That seems pretty illegal
Never really had to do anything of the sort, my friends's parents didn't really care what we did but I usually did the common courtesys of picking up after myself, throwing trash away, putting away my dishes, nothing out of the ordinary or as extreme as you

every time i used to go to my old friend's house i always helped him with farm work. he lived on this ranch so we would always clean out pens and milk goats before we got started with playing video games. it was actually kinda fun!

hmmm I used to help prepare food for my once bestfriend b/c she liked the way I seasoned sumthing and her mom was like ayyyyy can you do that thingy that she likes etc etc;;

idk since I thought of them as fam I never rlly complained & I didnt wanna be rude and say no so ye ig

this seems so strange to me!! I never did anything like that.. Never did their laundry or sweep or clean bathrooms.. I would always try to tidy up random things and the parents would be like awe you don't have to do that XD

That is really weird (but not as weird as I expected this thread to be, judging from the title about 'doing stuff'). No one's parents have ever asked me to do chores at their place... In fact, I've always been taught to offer (at least to wash dishes at a party or something you know!) but I've always been refused.

repeatedly asking whats wrong because i haven't eaten 3 portions of their food
like please, im okay, i assure you
i think i'd know im okay more than anyone else

aside front asking me constantly to eat their food, no

Last edited:
I don't have friends, but if I did, that'd stink. They'd come to my house. B)

When i was around 10 my i'd go over to my best friend's house to play animal crossing. It wasnt her parents - my friend would make me clean her house. Usually tidy her room and do any chores that SHE was supposed to do, and her mom would usually stand by and shrug. I told my mother about it casually one day, and now i'm not allowed to visit there anymore haha

Well once they asked me and my friend to set the table, but that's pretty much it.

No. I was the weirdo that volunteered to help my friends get stuff done faster.

if im staying at someones house, i always try to help out if asked and always am on my best behaviour since its someone else's house. ive known my best friend for like........9 years now?? so i help out clearing the table, putting my pots in the dishwasher, etc.

but ngl if their parents kept making you do that and you didnt like it why did you keep going to their place? ? ?

That's really weird tbh. I've never heard of something like that before. Wtf.

Usually my friend's parents don't give a crap about what I do, as long as it isn't wrecking their house.

same. i've never heard of that before. if they like MADE me do chores idk if i would even want to go there anymore tbh, lol. that's very strange

Back