• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Ever have a friendship abruptly end?

I was really close friends with a girl called Mia - we we're best friends for 2 years, we were ment to be meeting late august of this year and she helped me through some really really rough times and then she just cut things off with me - out of nowhere, just told me she couldn't be my friend anymore and all she said after was 'have a nice life i guess'
It really got to me, it happened 6 weeks ago now, maybe 8? I'm not at over it, don't think I am, especially as I was ment to be meeting her in less then 3 weeks but... I hope I can learn to move forward.
I don't want to hold it again her but I am mad - really mad - Mia was my only friend for a good 15 months and she just... left me? I don't think I'll let it go before 2018 - we were ment to be meeting and november would've market 3 years since we met - it's mostly my goal for 2018. I had a really bad year - I moved to a new school due to bullying which ment I lost a lot of friends and then I lost my only friend weeks before we were ment to meet so saying my goal for 2018 is to move on and let go of the friendships that just didnt work out would be nice

Many times...it's always very sad, whether or not you're the one who caused it. :( I've lost contact with a close online friend of mine after trying to rekindle it multiple times, one of my very best friends from middle school that ended mutually - once we got to high school, we pretty much stopped, and another very, VERY close friend of mine who I lost after she graduated and moved to New York. It's always hard but I find that I'm able to make new friends to fill those holes. <3

Aw I'm sorry about you and your TBT friend. I've lost touch with a lot of my friends from when I was younger. There was this one girl in my school who was a really talented writer in the fantasy genre. She made up this whole world with all these really cool races and background stories. When we became friends I'd tell her my bizarre ideas that didn't really fit in with anything but she'd always find a way to write it into her story and make it fit, she was the best. A lot of kids from that school don't stay long because their parents just move there for work, so eventually she left. She didn't join myspace or jump on the whole facebook craze like we did when it started and everyone was signing up. We e-mailed for a couple years and continued writing but one day she just stopped writing back. I've tried searching for her a couple of times like a creep, but could never find her.

Same with this other girl who I met in that same school from Germany. After she left I went to visit her in germany and we went this summer camp thing it was super fun. When I went home we promised to write to each other, which we did for a couple years. She'd send long ass letters with newspaper clippings and souvenirs. She got me into my obsession penpals and snail mail. I eventually lost her address during a hiatus because we were just entering high school. Then we just stopped talking. I can't find her on social media either ;_;

Aw I'm sorry about you and your TBT friend. I've lost touch with a lot of my friends from when I was younger. There was this one girl in my school who was a really talented writer in the fantasy genre. She made up this whole world with all these really cool races and background stories. When we became friends I'd tell her my bizarre ideas that didn't really fit in with anything but she'd always find a way to write it into her story and make it fit, she was the best. A lot of kids from that school don't stay long because their parents just move there for work, so eventually she left. She didn't join myspace or jump on the whole facebook craze like we did when it started and everyone was signing up. We e-mailed for a couple years and continued writing but one day she just stopped writing back. I've tried searching for her a couple of times like a creep, but could never find her.

Same with this other girl who I met in that same school from Germany. After she left I went to visit her in germany and we went this summer camp thing it was super fun. When I went home we promised to write to each other, which we did for a couple years. She'd send long ass letters with newspaper clippings and souvenirs. She got me into my obsession penpals and snail mail. I eventually lost her address during a hiatus because we were just entering high school. Then we just stopped talking. I can't find her on social media either ;_;

That's always the worst when you get a sudden rememberance of a person, and the good times that you had. You try to scour the net for them with what little info you know it can remember, but everything comes up blank. And you're just left sitting there with painful nostalgia and doubts if that person actually existed.

Memories can be beautifully cruel...

On a lighter note, here's to best wishes for everyone to find lasting close friendships. To penpals that last till the end of time. And to memories made, but never lost. I hope everyone here that has lost a cherished friendship in this thread has the strength and optimism to take a risk to find a new close and cherished friend. One that always keeps in contact, even if it's a message every once in a while to say "how you doing?" that evolves into a deep conversation as though no time has passed.

I've only had online friendships end like this. We never fought or anything, just one day they stopped coming and I've never heard from them again. It's pretty sad.

I don't know about abruptly, but I witnessed a friend slipping out from my fingers and it was heartbreaking. We were best friends since we were like 11 or something, met at daycare, never went to school together but spent almost every weekend together, our birthday's were four days apart so we used to be called the twins all the time.

In high school I moved away but we still found time to hang out and go to each other's houses on weekends and summer. Senior year I moved back and we re-connected and started doing more stuff together, then she went to this little art summer-school program, met this other girl and I was basically replaced.

I'd go to hang out with her at her art studio and then her other friend would show up and take her somewhere and just leave me there... We had a shared booth at an art fair together and she just left me to sell her stuff so she could go off to watch a band with this other friend.

I ended up moving again a year or two later and we were just distant friends on facebook, which ended when she up and moved across the state and deactivated her account. I still miss her terribly as with the closeness we had all those years she was more like family to me...

in real life yeah, it sucks 'cause we go to school together too lol, it's just awkward eye contact

Plenty unfortunately. I think I've already mentioned in a thread about friends before, but my best friend in high school for 2, almost 3 years suddenly stopped talking to me one day, and decided to spend her time at school with other people. I still don't even know what happened, but she decided to request me on Instagram a few years ago, even though we've yet to talk ever again...

Another was a close friend who I met in high school and kept in touch with after getting into college. We didn't talk frequently, but we'd always see each other during breaks (like winter break, summer, etc.). We made plans to hang out one time, and when I checked in the day before to see if we'd still be hanging out, she never replied. Haven't talked to her since.

I've also experienced this with two close friends I had over the internet. Whether it's irl or over the internet, it's not fun when seemingly smooth friendships just suddenly end.

I've lost plenty. Both because they were back-stabbers or toxic people to be around, or just because of inability to maintain communication.

My real life bff since first grade is officially no longer my friend :( I have literally no friends at school

That's like all my friendships with my best friends in elementary-middle school :(

The girl i was best friends with in high school we also don't keep in touch anymore, and it's actually only been one year since we graduated.

A lot of my internet friends I also don't keep in contact with, though we have each other on social media so I still consider them my friends.

I'm not too upset about any of these friendships ending... everyone has their own issues and life goes on I guess. Tbh, I feel too busy to make & keep up with friends anyway :/

I'm lucky to have a whole group of friends irl we've known each other since we were 5-6, and have been best friends since, even still. Even if we don't talk every day, when we gather irl it's like we've never been apart! It's a rare thing and I'm happy with it.

Well, these involve a clan that I grew pretty close to (we met on Destiny XB1 and grew from there).
It sounds weird, but not really because well, online friends can be just as important as friends in person.
Myself, I don't let myself get close to people very fast, therefore I have a small circle. But over time they became like family.
However, I've found that they're not as understanding as I thought, and turned out I was being talked behind my back.
It was a pretty sour week, but it's only for the best.

Well, these involve a clan that I grew pretty close to (we met on Destiny XB1 and grew from there).
It sounds weird, but not really because well, online friends can be just as important as friends in person.
Myself, I don't let myself get close to people very fast, therefore I have a small circle. But over time they became like family.
However, I've found that they're not as understanding as I thought, and turned out I was being talked behind my back.
It was a pretty sour week, but it's only for the best.

Talking negatively behind a guild member's back while pretending to be like family to them is pretty low. Sorry that you had to go through that.

Back