• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Opinion on those that say Nintendo is too "childish"

Just because a lot of nintendo games are rate e or e10 doesn't mean that they can't carry an amazing story or a deep and rich lore! nintendo is for everyone!

I personally have never cared. In all honesty, the majority of games that have become the most influential in gaming like Mario, Sonic, Megaman, Dragon Quest, Pac-Man etc. have been in theme kiddy and childish. However, beyond that, it doesn't matter.

Not every game has to be so serious and mature, and you really should just like what you want regardless of whatever other people have to say about it. Those people are most likely just pulling stuff out of the trash to come up with those statements anyway.

Also, I've never really defined gamers as real ones or casual by the games they play necesarily. Especially not stuff like that. Games can come in many different forms and themes. There have always been games with more childish themes and ones with more serious mature themes. It's just like how there are books with lighthearted content and ones with more serious content.

I also hate when I hear stuff about difficulty of games in relation to this. A game's difficulty doesn't necessarily determine its fun factor or how childish or kiddy it is. Not to mention that is often subjective on the individual anyway as well as their experience.

But yeah, I generally just don't listen to this stuff as it is really just ridiculous stuff people are saying.

I've seen this too many times, everywhere. The notion that Nintendo is made exclusively for kids is just wrong. Do you know why Nintendo games are rated E for Everyone? Because they're made for, get this, everyone. I know, crazy isn't it? Nintendo games are kid-friendly, but there's an appeal towards adults. Companies like Rockstar and Activision with CoD try to appeal towards adults with more heavy subjects and lots of violence. But what do you get when you play GTA Online? Little ****ing screechers that call you gay and say they banged your mom last night. What do you get when you play Splatoon 2 with voice chat? An inenjoyable experience because Nintendo doesn't know how to integrate voice chat into their system. Jokes aside, what are most Nintendo YouTubers? Adults. What are most CoD YouTube videos about? The little ****ing screechers. When I went to DC for the Nintendo Switch preview event, like 85% of the people there were adults. So yeah, Nintendo may have the child-friendly demeanor but their appeal is to everyone.

While I can't look at any Nintendo fanart without getting hit in the face by ****ting dick nipples or worse (or is this just my problem?), I actually really love the very PC and naive atmosphere of Nintendo games. Sometimes I like gritty stuff that makes you despair, but sometimes I want to withdraw from all the bad stuff and just have some nice, safe fun. I don't think there's anything childish about it. On the contrary, I think it's childish to be so enamored with a constant barrage of ultraviolence and sexual exploitation and call any contradicting opinion false.

I know Nintendo games will never make me cry. Except maybe of frustration when I forget to play NL for a few days and my favorite villager moves out only to be replaced by, idk, Kitt or someone... (Not even kidding, I had Kitt move in soon after I started playing WW and when I checked on my town after a year of hiatus, none of my other villagers were there except her.)

Those people make up the majority of my high school. Considering they don't like me, i don't see people like that as friendly. Theyre probably nice in other ways though.

There are *plenty* of reasons to criticize Nintendo. However, when someone goes down this path with their criticism, they've completely lost me. Unless they're asking for deeper stories, and stuff. I can get that. However, I do not think that the arguments are usually that nuanced.

As a 28 year old adult, I see no appeal whatsoever in the "adult" games. Zombies, war, violence, I see no appeal whatsoever in playing those kinds of games. I don't really see what makes them "adult", either. A lot of Nintendo games are suitable for children, but that doesn't mean that they're too childish by default. I find Nintendo's franchises to be pretty universal in appeal.

I don't think much of it. I like cartoons, anime, and I mostly play Nintendo games so my hobbies are generally considered childish.

I don't remember which comedian said it but I remember hearing a quote once about how being an adult means enjoying your interests and not caring what people think of you. If I find it I'll post it. Or maybe I just thought I heard it somewhere, idk.

enjoy what you enjoy and let other people enjoy what they enjoy. no one should be putting each other down for their likes or dislikes, as long as no one's hurting anyone else.

like tbh the coolest way to live is just have a good time and be nice to people and enjoy the little things and if liking to water my flowers in ACNL even though I have the beautiful town ordinance in effect makes me childish then yeah maybe I am but my flowers are sparkly and I am having a very nice time

well, i mean nintendo *is* generally more family friendly than a lot of other console/pc/indie games, but that's what it's there for, and that's what its market demographic is. it isn't a big deal. the majority of nintendo games are meant to be fun and light-hearted; sure there are exceptions with some very complex strategical games or darker plotlines. but if you're looking for something with massive lore (d&d games, etc.) or subtle, complex storylines and more individualized creativity (a lot of indie games) you know where to look (not at nintendo that's for sure). at first i was skeptical of getting into nintendo games as an adult (i hadn't touched a nintendo game in 15 years), but, you know, life's too short for that. besides, gaming is just childish overall (not said in a negative way)... i mean, you are *playing* aren't you?

Yeah I don't mind Nintendo as for games per se, it's just their dumb censoring they have to pull for literally nothing just because we "can't" see a bikini or whatever random thing they didn't really have to touch.

Unless they would actually get rights to Criminal Girls.. stop messing with like every game :v

I think they're either missing out or just don't understand some of the franchises.
For example, Nintendo has a series that looks very "childish". It's very cute and the character is just saving the world or something.
Oh, wait, what's that? Quite a few of the games feature not-so-cute final bosses. There are at least two of them that I honestly don't think a child should see. Yeah, I'm talking about Kirby. Things aren't usually cute anymore when you get near the end.

I don't think the games are childish (other than maybe latest Pok?mon where you can't type much freely on the Festival Plaza and that ****) but yeah mostly how the company behave.. I play everything from Pok?mon to Miitomo, Fire Emblem whatnot. I even had the Senran Kagura game they released here way back so eh

I don't think they are too childish. They are more creative and imaginative than anything. I play videogames to escape real life. If that involves talking animals or a magical fairy, then so be it.

i have a varied game library across nintendo, playstation, and steam. though my nintendo games are most marketed as family friendly by comparison, the concept some arbitrary gamer archetype is stupid. it should be a potpourri of anyone who may be drawn to light-hearted experiences, those who wants a darker experience, a mix of both, or anything in between, not a quintessential image of some toxic guy playing COD in his mother's basement.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”
-C. S. Lewis

so yeah, nuff said. I like a lot of things that other people consider 'childish' and I don't give two craps what they think.
You do you babe, ignore the haters.

Nintendo cannot be considered childish imo bc when it came out back in the day, the kids who played Nintendo growing up are now adults, so developing and growing with the brand isn't childish to me if anything I think it's a nice commitment to something that makes your life more enjoyable.

But, I don't think childish should be deemed negative in the first place, so :/

Last edited:
While I can see where They're are going What with those CRINGY Wii u Ads with 5 y olds being like OMG WII U AHHHHH BUY WII U AHHHHH but I see it more like wider demograph such as Pokemon being child friendly enough for moms to let kiddy's play it and for adults to enjoy it etc.

Ever since they decided to release Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U, I have been convinced they are trying to move away from the family-friendly-exclusive genre.

I specifically love Nintendo because it doesn't need to be 'edgy'--something that's quickly become very trite in gaming.

Back