Pokémon Favourite bizarre/unpopular pokemon

Is Heracross unpopular? Or the Joltik/Galvantula family? They're some of my favorite bug types, I definitely remember spending loads of time in Pokemon Crystal headbutting trees in Ilex Forest looking for Heracross. Joltik and Galvantula were annoying at first, but I ended up catching them to use in my Pokemon Black playthrough and ended up falling in love with them.

Is Heracross unpopular? Or the Joltik/Galvantula family? They're some of my favorite bug types, I definitely remember spending loads of time in Pokemon Crystal headbutting trees in Ilex Forest looking for Heracross. Joltik and Galvantula were annoying at first, but I ended up catching them to use in my Pokemon Black playthrough and ended up falling in love with them.

Can't speak for Joltik and Galvantula, used them myself. Loved them both. However, there is no way Heracross is unpopular. He dwarfed Pinsir when he arrived with his secondary fighting type, (given that they are seen as a kind of duo these days as opposed to Pinsir and Scyther as they were originally.) Reminds me of the episode in the Johto saga when Ash caught his Heracross after it's home was invaded by Pinsir, good times. Then Heracross was huge in ADV OU. Yeah though, finding that one tree thay had the great bugs in without Spearow falling out all the time took far too long.

I love Simipour and Malamar. I know a lot of people hate Simipour, but Malamar is really cool. I hear it's really strong in competitive [or at least used to be] too.

Grimer! Muk is good too, but when I played Sun, I suddenly became aware that Grimer (both versions) is cute as heck.

Not sure what the general opinion on Rotom is, but it's always been one of my favorites since Platinum.

I actually really like Garbodor, I have always thought he was kinda cute, don't really like trubbish though.

Skuntank I guess, I don't know if it's unpopular exactly but def underrated imo. Do people still hate Palossand for being a sentient sand castle? cuz I really like Palossand too (although I admit I didn't at first but its shiny version won me over.. same thing happened with Garbodor lol)

Ohh yes I love Skuntank, and that fat cat Pok?mon from the same gen.. Tbh IV added a lot of cool things.

Hmmm... Does Spheal count? I just don't like its evolutions ;(

Last edited:
Question: Are almost all middle-stage evolution Pokemon unpopular? People like fully-evolved Pokemon, they like basic-stage Pokemon but the middle-evolution is just a stepping stone from one to the other and often feels neglected. (This does not include Pokemon like Pikachu that had evolutions added later to "change" its position in its evolutionary tree. Of course Pikachu would be popular no matter what because it's Pikachu. Maybe, Marill would be a better example?)

Ohh yes I love Skuntank, and that fat cat Pok?mon from the same gen.. Tbh IV added a lot of cool things.

Purugly? I always thought it was a bit mean to have ugly in its name. It's just a bit on the large side which is a shame because Glameow is very lithe and spritely.

Hmmm... Does Spheal count? I just don't like its evolutions ;(

Three of the first five people in the thread said they liked Spheal so I'm inclined to believe that it is not unpopular. I like Spheal too. The evolutions seem unpopular though, Sealeo is a middle-stage evolution so it's hard enoguh for him but I've always thought Walrein was alright. Walrus, big fangs, Hail/Ice Body stall.

Yeah, Purugly. I think it's one of the cutest Pok?mon and loved how it was a hassle to get them in later generations lol. Poor generation IV lol.

And I don't know if it's unpopular, most yeah most Gen IV that added evolutions such as Togekiss(let aside that horrid Hustle ability), Yanmega, Lickilicky etc.

Yeah, Purugly. I think it's one of the cutest Pok?mon and loved how it was a hassle to get them in later generations lol. Poor generation IV lol.

I just looked it up on Bulbapedia and you are so right, I never realised. I just caught a Glameow in Pearl and that was that. I evolved it and never needed another one but it is oddly hard to find. They're favouring Stunky, what happened to version exclusives being balanced in later games?

And I don't know if it's unpopular, most yeah most Gen IV that added evolutions such as Togekiss(let aside that horrid Hustle ability), Yanmega, Lickilicky etc.

As far as I've heard people say the Generation IV evolutions were unnecessary and made the Pokemon look too fat. Personally, I liked almost all of them. Yanmega should have been Bug/Dragon though, we need one of those. Lickilicky is a little odd but I don't hate it. Froslass, Electivire and Magmortar I actually really like. Togekiss was just made to flinch.

yknow whats weird? i hate snakes in real life but i kinda like snake pokemon lol. my favorite is arbok

Well, my favourite 3 pokemon are Weezing, Garbodor and Muk, not sure why exactly I like them so much but I do. Also, I also like some other pokes a lot for nostalgia reasons,like Pelipper and Girafarig, as they were on my sister's team in Diamond.

And I simply can't leave out Sunflora, it's just so cute! Just because it's not very good in battle doesn't make it a bad pokemon!

I randomly love Glameow/ Purugly and Mismagius.

Also I love Chesnaught even though theres a lot of hate for it.

And I simply can't leave out Sunflora, it's just so cute! Just because it's not very good in battle doesn't make it a bad pokemon!

Yes, good to see another Sunflora fan. The big, happy, smiling sunflower. Generation II Pokemon are by far some of my favourite designs even if they don't stand up to the power creep of later generations.

They're not really "unpopular", but I love all of the baby Pok?mon, especially Mime Jr., which I think might be my new favorite Pok?mon(former favorite was Wooper). I find it very cute, trying to mimic people, and it's colors and design are appealing to the eye as well(at least to me).

I also don't find anything wrong with Trubbish and Garbodor. I think they're just fun little Pok?mon. They used to be one of my favorite Pok?mon a few years back.

They're not really "unpopular", but I love all of the baby Pok?mon, especially Mime Jr., which I think might be my new favorite Pok?mon(former favorite was Wooper). I find it very cute, trying to mimic people, and it's colors and design are appealing to the eye as well(at least to me).

I also don't find anything wrong with Trubbish and Garbodor. I think they're just fun little Pok?mon. They used to be one of my favorite Pok?mon a few years back.

I can see where people are coming from if they don't like Pokemon that are based on inanimate objects - rubbish bags, ice cream, set of keys, gears - if you think of Pokemon as animalian then it's hard to shake that off. However, if they're going to be a hypocrite and like Pokemon made of magnets and Pokemon that were made in computers (and caused a lot of seizures) then you have to wonder if it's just their age talking.

I also love Wooper. It uses Ice Punch with its tail. Come on people.

I randomly love Glameow/ Purugly and Mismagius.

Also I love Chesnaught even though theres a lot of hate for it.

oh yeah, Mismagius is one of my favorite pokemon! I love it a lot, it's just so flowy looking and has a cute hat and little cat face, what's not to love?

Oh boy here we go. This obviously varies from person to person, but the ones I think get the worst wrap are Pokemon from Gen V. So many people just say they're clones of Gen I Pokemon (which they are), but I like to look at it as a more "homage" situation. When Gen V came out I hated it, but as time went on I began to love it more and more. My only complaint at the moment (and this will never change) is that there are no cross-gen evolutions in the generation, and this was the generation which basically stopped that happening.

Gen V has so many great designs, and the only ones I really don't like are the stand alone Pokemon who don't evolve because they just look out of place and like filler material, the only ones I really like are Audino, Maractus, Emolga, and Stunfisk. The rest are eh. I kind of like Throh and Sawk, but I really wish they had a pre evolution.

So many of the Pokemon in Gen V are so simple, yet they're unique enough to stand out. I really wish a lot more people seemed to like Gen V because it's that one generation I see getting hated on the most.

Back