• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Male or Female?

Male or Female?

• Total voters

DY14N

A Punchy Enthusiast
Bells
Switch
7390-9442-1665
Lobo
It's not really too surprising that a very, very large majority of the Animal Crossing Fanbase are female (you can find this out easily when you make enough trades lol), but exactly how much of the fanbase are Male?

I wanted to do a rough check of how many people are male, just out of curiosity!
I've actually been surprised with how many male player's I've met, considering I had always felt like the moment I showed a male friend what I play I would be immediately judged ^^"

^
Even though that's still the case irl, shh...

I'm a male. And Its kinda surprising to hear that a good majority are female though, I usually always see males whenever I decide to play online with somebody!

I'm a male. And Its kinda surprising to hear that a good majority are female though, I usually always see males whenever I decide to play online with somebody!

Huh, weird. All of my Club Tortimer experiences, except one, have been female, and almost all the trades I've made on here have been with a female. Also the game has very "girly" aspects to it (With the cutesy, childish look. Not being stereotypical, I just know guys prefer more hardcore, serious games usually, that's all. But ofc, I'm an exception to that rule. I prefer adventure (Especially open-world), platforming, or games like AC instead of Racing, shooting, and Fighting games )

I'm male... but most of the players I've come across are female though. And while I'd openly advertise that I play games like Silent Hill or Persona, I don't think I'd admit to playing ACNL, even to IRL friends, despite how addictive I find it.

I'm male... but most of the players I've come across are female though. And while I'd openly advertise that I play games like Silent Hill or Persona, I don't think I'd admit to playing ACNL, even to IRL friends, despite how addictive I find it.

Haha same, I'll go as far to saying that I play games like Sonic and Pokemon (other games that "men" consider "childish")
But whenever anyone sees me on my 3DS and say "What are you playing?" I just say "A game". Usually I get away with it. There's only a couple of IRL friends who I'm comfortable with knowing I play such a game, and often we get to have a laugh about it!

I sexually identify as an attack helicopter
But seriously though, I'm female.

Last edited:
I sexually identify as an attack helicopter
But seriously though, I'm female.

Omg when I had to fill out a form during science class, I put "Attack Helicopter" As my gender, and he never even questioned it!

I feel like ACNL is sorta... a dress up game of sorts (customizing your town/characters) which would make it a "girly" game. Any game that doesn't involve attacking/killing something or someone would attract less guys and therefore make it a stigma for guys to play these kinda games.

Or idk maybe I'm reading too much into this LOL.

Last edited:
I feel like ACNL is sorta... a dress up game of sorts (customizing your town/characters) which would make it a "girly" game. Any game that doesn't involve attacking/killing something or someone would attract less guys and therefore make it a stigma for guys to play these kinda games.

I think it's there's a similar stigma with The Sims as well. Personally, I'd call The Sims and AC series to be more of life simulators, albeit rather abstract ones, than a dress up game (on a side note, don't get me started on lack of non-cutesy non-mainstream aka gothic/steampunk clothes... thank god for pro designs). But I'd definitely agree that of a game, especially a life simulator, is lacking in action based content, it probably won't appeal to a lot of guys due to social stigma of boy games vs girl games.

I'm male. Was an early teen when Animal Crossing was born.

I don't consider it "dress up" though. I consider it a "choose your own adventure" game.

Last edited:

Yeah that's how I thought about it. I don't really care much for shooting/killing games, they bore me quite a lot, and I'm terrible at em .-.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm a female, but my in game character is a male so people might think differently. :p

Did ya know that when you type in the chat as a male, the sound it makes when you press a button sounds different?

Female player myself, but was introduced to the game by my boyfriend. It might have to do with our social circle (i.e. other nerds), but he's open and unashamed about loving it, which I find pretty damn attractive ;p

It's interesting how different our play styles are though - I'm dedicated to my villagers and developing the town, while he's all about completing collections and getting badges

I'm male. Was an early teen when Animal Crossing was born.

I don't consider it "dress up" though. I consider it a "choose your own adventure" game.

I guess. It's more of a "life sim" game to me.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Female player myself, but was introduced to the game by my boyfriend. It might have to do with our social circle (i.e. other nerds), but he's open and unashamed about loving it, which I find pretty damn attractive ;p

It's interesting how different our play styles are though - I'm dedicated to my villagers and developing the town, while he's all about completing collections and getting badges

Haha I would say I'm dedicated to my villagers and making my town look good, like you are. It's basically the main point of being mayor, really.

female! I think games like acnl that are more focused on simulation and customization, and more "childish" games in general (most nintendo stuff) tend to attract more females than other games, say, shooters (ofc this is just a generalization - there are tons and tons of females who like gritty games). ironically enough though most of the people who I know irl that play this game are male :p

i chose other (i'm gnc) but my character in acnl is a girl (mostly because i don't want to be out to my parents, and girls are cuter anyway) so people probably count me as part of the female population.
my character in hhd is a boy to balance it out, but i don't play that game nearly as much so i don't think anyone would notice that.

I am female and I have also found that most of the people I play AC with online are also girls, though I do have a few guy friends who play AC. I have a guy and girl character in my town though because I like to see how the character dialogue changes. You get different shanties going to the island for example.

Most all my friends have been female, and i've only had one trade with a male! I cant seem to find many males who play acnl anymore

I'm a girl. It isn't really all that surprising that the majority of players are female. I feel like boys are more attracted to games with more action. Of course, I've met guys who play too. I'm just saying that's the likely reason as to why there are less male players.

Back