• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

*New* 2DSXL Thread

I will certainly buy one if a cute limited/special edition comes out! Although my family won't agree with my choice since I already own a 3DS since almost two years ^^' whynintendo

I've read online that this 2ds XL will also have Amiibo capabilities. It will, right? Cause I'm actually pretty excited about that.
The only thing that really worries me about this system is how games that were intended to be played in 3d (like Super Mario 3d Land) will look in 2d. Otherwise, though, I'm really looking forward to my purchase and can't wait to get back into gaming.
the *new* model all have NFC built in

And if you're not going to be using 3d normally why does it matter if you can't 3d in 3dland? And don't worry they don't focus too much on 3d anymore

Also kinda turned off by the fact I can't get a American white 2fd :(

I got the New 2DSXl in Black and turquoise because my New 3DSXL button worn out. I got the New 2DSXL instead of getting a New 3DSXL because I didn't use the 3D much and because it was much cheaper than the New 3DSXL and what was more amazing was it came with a Adaptor! When I opened it up it came with usual things you would find when opening a 3DS box which was AR cards , and a operations manual. I love my New 2DSXL and I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't like 3D and doesn't mind not having 3D or because it's much cheaper. :)

It feels light and very comfortable. I've been using it to play non-3D games and right now, it's Dragon Quest VIII. I don't mind the speakers since I could just use earphones/put on my iems whenever I feel like to.

I bought mine on Saturday (and managed to get the transfer process done at work after a couple of failures) and so far, I'm satisfied with it (the speakers leave a bit to be desired, but... earphones). I bought it primarily for SNES emulation and easier homebrew. I still have my original 3DS but since the transfer has taken place, I may just use that as a means to complete the pokedex on Pokemon or get visitor/streetpass badges and the train station/town hall upgrades without cheats.

I won't get this. I love the clamshell design of the 3DS.

My New3DSXL is perfect for me.

I won't get this. I love the clamshell design of the 3DS.

My New3DSXL is perfect for me.

If I was a 6 feet dude with large hands then yeah.

Anyway, managed to find a dead cheap one of those here that I ended up ordering so I hope I can pick it up tomorrow. Second hand goods since they didn't have a manual and the AR cards but yeah I wanna get back into New Leaf and while that stripy design is kinda meh better than nothing. Would never have bought it at full price though smh.

I really dig the white & orange color, I'm thinking about getting one of them.

I have a New 3DS XL but I never use the 3D feature and found it to be a bit heavy, so I was curious about the New 2DS XL by comparison. Well, it just so happens I was able to get my hands on one because I was buying one as a gift for my young cousin who was visiting me on vacation. After testing it out, I can safely say I still prefer the New 3DS XL by a large margin. Allow me to detail why:

The New 2DS XL has much weaker speakers than the New 3DS XL. If you use headphones this is a non-issue, but wearing headphones all the time gives me a headache and I enjoy using the speakers from the console itself. The audio quality is not terrible, but if you're comparing them both side by side the New 3DS XL has much better sound.

The New 2DS XL's top screen is very wobbly/unstable compared to the New 3DS XL. This is my biggest gripe and for me personally it would drive me completely insane having a top screen that constantly wiggles around during normal use. The top screen on the New 3DS XL is very firm and sturdy feeling, whereas the New 2DS XL seems a bit flimsy by comparison, although on its own it's obviously perfectly adequate and fine.

The New 2DS XL is a little bit lighter, but not enough to warrant replacing the New 3DS XL. It's a bit easier to hold, but not by much. They also put a cover over the game cartridge slot which was nice, although it's a bit hard to open. Either way, the placement of the game cartridge slot seems incredibly stupid on both consoles. Just like the stupid placement of the power button. At least the SD card is very easily accessible now.

The stylus is not very good on the New 2DS XL. It is very hard to slide into the console, and requires being pushed in in the exact right position or it will get stuck and stick out of the console. It's also very, VERY tiny. I can't imagine it being comfortable to hold for more complex games at all.

So overall it's much better than all other iterations of the 3DS/2DS, but definitely not worth going from the New 3DS XL to this. The only thing it has going for it by comparison to the New 3DS XL is the easily accessible SD card slot, and the cover for the game cartridge. If you have a New 3DS XL or a 3DS XL, I'd say don't bother getting this, but if you have any other 3DS/2DS I'd say this is a great upgrade. If you don't have any 3DS/2DS system then the New 2DS XL will probably seem like the better choice due to the price difference as well.

I'm going to probably play the system a little more so some of my thoughts may change after some more use.

Edit: Played with it a bit more and I liked it more than I did the first time through, the build of the console feels very nice and the lightness of it is more apparent than I thought compared to the New 3DS XL. It feels more comfortable to hold and although the top screen is a bit wobbly, the fact that it's lighter does make it pretty comfortable. However, the issues with the speakers and especially the awful stylus still remain. The audio isn't terrible like I said before, the lesser sound quality is adequate, but the incredibly tiny stylus just baffles me. It doesn't feel comfortable at all. Overall though I think the New 2DS is pretty awesome, probably the definitive version of the 2DS/3DS line of consoles to me, minus the stylus.

Last edited:
So, I have the New 3DS XL and debating on getting the new 2ds xl...I really like the black and blue one and the sd slot is better but is it the right thing to do? I was kinda sad when I got rid of my 3ds xl cause the new 3ds xl didnt use the same covers but the new 3ds xl is kinda bland and I like the new color and design of the 2ds xl soo is it worth it?

I plan on getting it since it is cheaper than the new 3DS. I am happy it is foldable. I never use the 3D effect anyway since it gives me a headache, so I figure why pay more for a system with a feature I won't use.

Last edited:
I have a friend who has one, and it's actually a lot neater than I expected. I really like the shape and screen size! I don't think I'd get one, though, because the volume switch is a bit hard to move and the sound sounds.... different. (there's no visible speakers, so it just sounds more closed off, if that makes any sense)

I have a friend who has one, and it's actually a lot neater than I expected. I really like the shape and screen size! I don't think I'd get one, though, because the volume switch is a bit hard to move and the sound sounds.... different. (there's no visible speakers, so it just sounds more closed off, if that makes any sense)

Yeah, it gets dusty real quick and loads though because of the inward edges but yeah as long as you have a microfiber towel I guess.And yeah I totally get what you mean with the sound, if I blast it fully (like fishing in New Leaf or I don't hear a ****) it sounds really loud and canny.

But yeah that lid alone that cover the cartridge hole is worth it, I always had trouble with games popping out since I take mine out a lot.

I pre-ordered it a month in advance and picked it up and just enjoy playing my new 2ds xl

I never use the 3d feature, but have a new nintendo 3ds xl. Would've bought this if it was availlible a year ago tho.

Damn the Pokeball 2DS XL is extremely tempting. D:

- - - Post Merge - - -

If it weren't for the fears of the speakers being awful, I'd buy it asap.

It's a shame this didn't come out earlier than it did. That said, if I ever need a replacement, I would definitely go for this. Though honestly I'd buy a new classic 3DS or 2DS if they weren't seemingly discontinued.

Last edited:
Damn the Pokeball 2DS XL is extremely tempting. D:

- - - Post Merge - - -

If it weren't for the fears of the speakers being awful, I'd buy it asap.

The sound is a bit canny, I agree but tbh worth it unless they are too expensive where you live.

I bought the Galaxy new 3DS XL about a year ago when my OG 3DS XL?s hinge was beginning to crack from over 1000 hours of playtime. I still really love the Galaxy design and new 3DS XL Design. The new 2DS design is ok but I prefer the look of the new 3DS XL. That and I?m also one of the few people who really likes playing games in 3D 99% of the time. I also find the graphics look more smooth and crisp in 3D.

Only thing that irks me is how Game Freak got lazy with Pok?mon Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon in having no 3D. Sure the 6th gen games had limited 3D but I really liked at least having 3D in battles. Oh well.

In general I find the 3D feature of the 3DS tends to be quite underrated it?s actually a great feature people just have a hard time adjusting to it. To each their own though do what you enjoy.

Back