• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

*New* 2DSXL Thread

HHoney

Fireworks!
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Mother's Day Carnation
Tasty Cake
Did you purchase the New 2DSXL? IMG_2565.jpg

I am curious what you think.

I know now there are many people here on TBT who have original 3DS models and may be in need of an upgrade.

Looking forward to hearing what other people think :blush:

I think it's a good idea for those who want a 3ds that don't intend on using the 3D, that's foldable.
I would've gone for this if it came out back in the day.

I'm definitely going to buy one. It seems logical to me since I don't ever use the 3D feature and it's a bit cheaper.

Would have wanted it, but the fact that the price is not much lower than those with 3D(and you can turn it off lol Nintendo pretending you can't, or?) doesn't really make me want it anyways, and eh the colours are a bit too clash-y for me.

i'll buy one when my current 3DS wears out..!

With my girlfriend's New 3DS playing up a little, she decided to get the 2DS XL, and she's loving it. I honestly think the images on the main screen are more crisp than my New 3DS XL in 2D mode. And it's even cheaper when you consider that it comes with a charger. So we now have our own chargers in the bedroom to charge our units overnight, and the new charger sits in the lounge in case we forget to recharge overnight and are playing during the day (yeah... it's more of a convenience thing). Though for the moment, I'm sticking with my 3DS XL, if only because I actually like playing some games in 3D.

You shouldn't really charge things overnight but yeah that's just me being safe.

Might get a Japanese one if my current one decides to poop like all old models but yeah hope they come out with better colours.

I would probably get one if my 3DS XL (the original one) dies...but I'm also not a huge fan of the current colours. Hopefully they release more designs in the future!

they have some limited in Japan and i guess the black/turquoise is aight...

however probs not getting it until either of the new models drops in price or they have like 50% off lol

I actually kind of like the bright button colors, but I'm going to try and hold onto my old 3DS XL until it kicks the bucket. I never use the 3D feature, though.

SQ_N2DSXLpage_Systemexamples_PS_UKV_CMM_big.jpg

I bought the new 2DS XL and here are my first impressions:

-It's lighter(it weighs exactly the same as the flat 2DS)and more balanced than the 3DS XL.It doesn't feel top heavy like the 3DS XL.
-I agree with KnightsSorrow...images on the screen are a bit sharper and the colors are more vibrant than the 3DS XL.
-Worst.Stylus.Ever.The stylus included is short and fat and uncomfortable to use.
-Build quality is good.It has a more utilitarian look than the 3DS XL but it doesn't look cheap like the flat 2DS.The bottom shell is a matte black and the top has a nice ribbed texture.
-I noticed that I can feel vibrations from the speakers in the bottom shell while I'm playing.

I need to play this machine a bit more to get a better feel for it.As far as I know,the white and orange version is available in the U.K.,Europe and Japan(and possibly Australia) but not in the States.

SQ_N2DSXLpage_Systemexamples_PS_UKV_CMM_big.jpg

I bought the new 2DS XL and here are my first impressions:

-It's lighter(it weighs exactly the same as the flat 2DS)and more balanced than the 3DS XL.It doesn't feel top heavy like the 3DS XL.
-I agree with KnightsSorrow...images on the screen are a bit sharper and the colors are more vibrant than the 3DS XL.
-Worst.Stylus.Ever.The stylus included is short and fat and uncomfortable to use.
-Build quality is good.It has a more utilitarian look than the 3DS XL but it doesn't look cheap like the flat 2DS.The bottom shell is a matte black and the top has a nice ribbed texture.
-I noticed that I can feel vibrations from the speakers in the bottom shell while I'm playing.

I need to play this machine a bit more to get a better feel for it.As far as I know,the white and orange version is available in the U.K.,Europe and Japan(and possibly Australia) but not in the States.

The stylus is probably the only complaint my girlfriend has with it. And I can confirm that Australia has the white/orange and the black/blue. But I personally think the black/blue looks better.

I've had my 3DSXL for 4+ years now so it's time for an upgrade for sure. I may go for this, but not quite yet. It hasn't come to my country yet and the price is still ridiculous (the same I bought my 3ds for, even though it was a refurbished version but still). I also kinda hate the colors.

i'll buy it when i can, and if it's necessary. my 3ds is still in good condition, until it stops working, i'll be using it.

Thanks for the review up there Nunnafinga :D

Yeah the price is almost as high as a new/used new 3ds/XL and you can turn the 3D off so I don't see why they'd make this so expensive. If my current one breaks, yeah I'd probably stalk this or get an used cheap Japanese new 3ds/XL but yeah 20-30 bucks off the regular New ones doesn't justify it.

I've gone from 3ds to 3ds xl to new 3ds to new 2ds xl and i can tell you want persuaded me to leave the smaller 3ds for the bigger 2ds.

First thing was the look, even for a 3ds it looks sleek. The inside looks a bit like a smartphone now on the top screen and the general design is great. I'm not too keen on losing pixel clarity for the bigger screen but the 3d never bothered me. So i went ot 2d. Now i have, I can say i do miss the 3d slightly but not a ton.

What i do love and have always loved with the XL series, dsi xl...3ds xl...is the original aspect ratio for virtual console games. When you hold start, it runs the vc games in their original resolution and not the stretched to fit the screens. On the original smaller 3ds, the original aspect ratio would be tiny because the screens are tiny. On the larger consoles, the original aspect ratio ifts perfectly for nes/gba/gameboy/ds games so they actually look better on the xls than they do with the smaller one. (full pixel clarity and at full size)

As for nes and snes games. They look superb. The original resolution for them fits the actual size of the screen normally so it looks crisp and fits the whole screen.

I have small hands so the smaller stylus doesnt bother me, i got used to it quickly. The resolution bothers me slightly but i'll get over it. It is nice not having to unscrew the entire 3ds to change the microsd card out, and as cool as cover plates were, they were annoying to keep screwing them in.

Last but not least, the volume. Because the speakers are now on the bottom of the 3ds, you get that 'vibrating effect' where it sounds like the speakers are too loud it vibrates the entire console. It doesn't bother me all that much and it's only when listening on full volume (which i dont tend to do anyway cos hella loud) but it might bother some people.

Alot of people are saying the new 2ds xl screens look a little washed out compared to the 3ds xl however that's probably because of the 3ds screen lottery. Mine looks superb, i think my screen is an IPS screen.

If you don't know what TN or IPS screens are, check this thread:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-tn-and-ips-displays-which-does-my-3ds-have.409925/

Apparently every 3ds uses a randomly selected screen type and the benefits and disadvantages are listed in that thread but in a nutshell: IPS = better clarity but uses more power/might show scanlines & TN = power saver but colour contrast is poor/more washed out

The 2DS XL is rather interesting to me atm. But the Stylus complaints makes me think otherwise...

If i were to get a *new* ds id get dat white 2ds looks so sleek :)

The 2DS XL is rather interesting to me atm. But the Stylus complaints makes me think otherwise...

can't be worse than the OG 3ds one.. why does it need to expendable i mean it's only annoying trying to hold it wtf

I'm buying one of these later this month (I'm only one paycheck away!). I feel like it's the ideal model gaming system for me since I've owned both a 3Ds and a New Nintendo 3ds XL and never used the 3d with either of them. I wear glasses and it made my eyes hurt.
I've read online that this 2ds XL will also have Amiibo capabilities. It will, right? Cause I'm actually pretty excited about that.
The only thing that really worries me about this system is how games that were intended to be played in 3d (like Super Mario 3d Land) will look in 2d. Otherwise, though, I'm really looking forward to my purchase and can't wait to get back into gaming.

Back