Eggs
Old Eggs
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Green Candy
Winter Mittens
Winter Mittens
White Pansy
Hey yo. So a friend wants to get into the game just now but is worried about the social aspect/community/TBT trade dying out before she can get far enough into the game, what with the move to Switch etc. What does everyone here think about that?

Well, in my opinion, although I can't compare to the early years of acnl, the online community for this game seems strong enough. For me, it's the local community that's really died out. I'm frankly not too comcerned about the lifespan of this game. I mean, yes the switch is portable, but it's still a console in a sense. So even when we do get an Animal Crossing Switch, it won't necessarily replace the 3ds version. So especially considering that we likely won't get another 3ds version, I may even argue that this game could have a nearly indefinite lifespan.

The Bell Tree dying?

Listen, I'm a member of a community from a game series from 1995 - 2002. We only have around 100 active members or so I guess? Yet, it's thriving. It doesn't take many active members to keep a forum alive. If you look at how many active members the Bell Tree has and how much activity... Trust me, it's not going anywhere. :)

Last edited:
I think Animal Crossing is going to stay strong as far as community and new games. Even New Leaf is going to stay pretty relevant for a while still and has for the past an Early 5 years. I even still play my old gamecube town sometimes for nostalgia sake

this is an animal crossing forum, not just a new leaf one, so with new ac games, will change the forum around slightly probably, she has nothing to worry about- i gather that the forum will still remain active for new leaf for a while to come!

Yeah, I'm not worried about it dying like anyone else either!
Since this is a niche forum, I doubt she won't be able to find people people playing or willing to trade on ACNL here. There's even still exclusive topics for CityFolk & WW on (Animal Crossing Community). It's not really like once a new game comes out, you can't play the past games.. or lose the items you have available to trade hehe.

Besides, I bet it will be at least another year until an animal crossing is announced for release on the switch.

I don't imagine Animal Crossing going anywhere, same with the online communities. There will always be someone playing. :D

I don't think tbt will go anywhere. I left for 2 years and came back and it's still thriving and I still see familiar users.
I joined when new leaf came out but tbt had been running for maybe 9 years before that and had a very active community.
So yeah definitely, encourage your friend to get into animal crossing. 😊

Thanks everyone, I'll show her this thread for sure! But yeah, I don't doubt Animal Crossing will stay for a long time. I think her dilemma is just whether to invest in ACNL or wait for new AC releases.

Tell her to invest in acnl. It's the best version and the newest game coming is going to be an app...so I think she should. I mean Nintendo just did welcome amiibo a few months ago so lots of people play.

You can tell your friend to look at various places online - New Leaf is still going strong!

For example - you can have her look at the post history at the Reddit Animal Crossing subreddit. About every day there is someone totally new to New Leaf - totally new. Never played. Just bought the game in 2017.

I see totally new players join TBT here. It's new to them and they're excited to play!

As for someone like myself, I sold my copy of New Leaf in 2013 only to come back in 2015. 2 years later and I'm still full of plans, ideas and goals that I want to complete before the next AC game comes out.

Your friend has an opportunity to join the fun now - still lots of fun to have. Good luck to them!

New Leaf has outlived the previous games (or so it seems). Right now it is a bit quieter, but you can find most of what you want, especially since a lot of rare item sets have filtered through the general population by now.

Back