• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

acne agony (discussion) thread.

HungryForCereal

if it was you I'd never want to leave...
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Pink Summer Shell
Mint
Pavé
this thread is for people who suffer from acne. if you suffer from acne an have acne prone skin, discuss about your agony here. im not talking about one random acne that appears every few months but constant acne breakouts that never seem to end. ive been told by my derma that my acne is mild but they appear every time and IMO is equally as bad as severe acne when looks are concerned. and to those who dont suffer from acne, appreciate it. its a blessing.

ADVICE: ALWAYS USE A SUNSCREEN IF YOU HAVE BROWN PIGMENTATION LEFT FROM UR ACNE. IT WILL PROTECT THE MARKS FROM THE UV RAYS THUS MAKING IT EASIER AND FASTER TO FADE. IF NOT, YOUR MARKS WILL TURN EVER DARKER AND NEED MORE TIME FOR IT TO FADE. ALSO, USE A VITAMIN C CREAM/SERUM. THEY HELP IN TREATING ACNE MArks.

Last edited:
i suffered from acne all throughout middle school and most of high school, but it cleared up in the last two years and now only a few scars remain. I didn't have blistering red acne, just a ton of raised bumps on my forehead (didn't help that I had bangs, which only contributed to the problem) I remember using a *** ton of proactiv and skin care products while in my acne phase and it did end up helping a lot (those ads didn't lie!) I wish you the best of luck getting over your acne.

i suffer from acne if i break away from my skincare routine for more than 5 days. my acne is soooo rampant but i stick to my strict routine to keep it at bay.
i do have a lot of acne scars though :( especially on my shoulders and some places around my chin and cheekbones. luckily theyre not too noticeable.

my acne didn't get really bad until after high school, i honestly thought that I'd never have clear skin since absolutely nothing worked. my cheeks were always red and sore from the constant acne, and there was lots and lots and lots of crying bc of how i looked, and I refused to go anywhere without makeup
but i've been on meds for it for about 4 and a half months now, my skin is almost clear, there's no more redness, the acne i do get is mostly just tiny ones, and I actually feel good about my skin now it's great, I hope it further clears up over the month and a half I have left on the meds, and I am praying it doesn't come back when i've finished the meds

I never had terrible acne in middle school or high school but when I broke out it was really bad and took a long time for my skin to recover. I still have a couple scars on my face. Now that I'm adult, I don't have crazy break outs but I've never had 100% clear glowing skin at any time either. There's always two or three that are always lingering and when they disappear, another one appears. I get them a lot on my T zone... it doesn't help that I touch my face all the time (it's a nervous tic), also the weather here is either insanely dry or insanely humid at all times, so my skin is always confused. There's really not much more I can do about it so I just accept it. My skincare routine basically involves washing my face twice a day and applying moisturiser and sun screen once in the morning and a night moisturiser before I sleep. I've never used acne cream though but I have used an exfoliator which helped kinda? after my skin got used to it. I also mask at least once a month if I'm not lazy. I switch skin care products between Keihls and Aesop depending on how dry my skin is. I just hate going through break outs when I switch brands, although I read somewhere that you should switch it up occasionally so your skin doesn't get dependent on one thing?

My skin used to be terrible, starting when I was about 12. None of the face washes, creams, etc. worked for my skin and none of the antibiotics prescribed to me helped either. The only way I got rid of my acne (and what I'm currently still on) is accutane. I'd rather deal with dry skin and dry lips for the next 5 months than have to deal with constant acne for the rest of my life.

i have acne prone skin but i stick to my ten step routine and i'm on the pill. i currently only have scars and get a bad breakout every week or two. i used to see my derm a lot and it was nice to get cortisone shots but now i go every 6 months since they said i don't really need it.

I had pretty bad acne throughout high school and the beginning of my enlistment. Eventually the dermatologist I was referred to put me on accutane and it's literally a miracle drug. My acne is completely gone and only scars remain. After I get back to Hawaii, he told me that he may have laser machines available to get rid of the scars, I can't wait to do that.

I've had acne for almost 11 years, and it's always been pretty bad. full bore swollen and giant abscesses. I used have ones on the sides of my face and chin get huge and when I finally opened them up, they would just run down my face (more than you needed to know, right?) When we went to a dermatologist when I was in the middle of it being really bad, (really bad being approx 5 years) the doc came into the room, got right up in my face and stared for a solid 20 seconds and then said "put her on birth control and vitamin A shots." and walked out. No allergy tests. No liver or thyroid testing. No suggestions for anything less drastic. (and expensive)
Needless to say, we never went back. I
My grandma bought me proactive, it helped a little, then gave me hives. I've been on too many different diet changes to count. And nothing was worse than my friend with clear skin, whining about her "pimples". she had like 4 tiny, whitehead under her chin since she wasn't very hygienic and always sat with her hand under her chin. Meanwhile, I'm getting sitting there, looking like road rash and getting random tips from strangers like "try toothpaste/cortizone cream", "don't touch your face so much'', and "do you do drugs?"
My face has been the best it's ever been in years for the last few months, and I'm hoping it's just finally burned it's self out.

i suffer from acne if i break away from my skincare routine for more than 5 days. my acne is soooo rampant but i stick to my strict routine to keep it at bay.
i do have a lot of acne scars though :( especially on my shoulders and some places around my chin and cheekbones. luckily theyre not too noticeable.

my acne didn't get really bad until after high school, i honestly thought that I'd never have clear skin since absolutely nothing worked. my cheeks were always red and sore from the constant acne, and there was lots and lots and lots of crying bc of how i looked, and I refused to go anywhere without makeup
but i've been on meds for it for about 4 and a half months now, my skin is almost clear, there's no more redness, the acne i do get is mostly just tiny ones, and I actually feel good about my skin now it's great, I hope it further clears up over the month and a half I have left on the meds, and I am praying it doesn't come back when i've finished the meds

I had pretty bad acne throughout high school and the beginning of my enlistment. Eventually the dermatologist I was referred to put me on accutane and it's literally a miracle drug. My acne is completely gone and only scars remain. After I get back to Hawaii, he told me that he may have laser machines available to get rid of the scars, I can't wait to do that.

when u guys say scars, do you mean it as those pigmentation (brown spots) or those dented scars?

- - - Post Merge - - -

and i think my new sunscreen broke me out. either that or im not removing them properly.

I have a couple "scars" from my acne as a child. I always had huge massive zits in huge patches all over my face. I'm here to tell all of you please keep up hope! It will all fade. I can't even tell I have the scars anymore. It's painful but it will get better <3

I have a couple "scars" from my acne as a child. I always had huge massive zits in huge patches all over my face. I'm here to tell all of you please keep up hope! It will all fade. I can't even tell I have the scars anymore. It's painful but it will get better <3

you mean scars as in those brown spots called pigmentation or real dented scars?

- - - Post Merge - - -

you mean scars as in those brown spots called pigmentation or real dented scars?

- - - Post Merge - - -

I have a few dents but mostly it's very small pigmentation. The best way to avoid these are to see your doctor for prescribed medicines I believe. It honestly doesn't look too bad

When i was younger i had what i thought was a lot of acne too but more likely a mild case in derma's eyes (never been to one though) I was in 5th grade when i hit puberty, so i was taller than a lot of the other girls, had acne & was insecure/shy bc of it i always felt gross. I would get acne on my chest, my shoulders, even my butt ! Tmi Lol.

I also had/have a bad habit at picking at my skin and stuff. When I was younger, I would pick at them ALL. My father was evn concerned for my health/mental health, because I would do it so much. Im more controlled about it though, but still can't help popping a whitehead if i get one.. also sometimes when i get acne, it will leave a spot or dark mark on my face that will stay there for MONTHS even after it's been healed. My skin is also VERY sensitive when it comes to what I eat, if i eat one microwavable one night, I'll wake up with a whitehead somewhere the next day or even later that night. I also get zits often, like huge ones, and it seems the last few zits ivegotten in the past months have left purpleish marks on my face, one on my cheek towards my eye left a mark that stayed for like 2-3 months and I would have to cover it with makeup, and one my chin hasn't even gone away yet, and its been 3-4 months or so?
It's also hard to keep it covered with makeup, cuz the spots are so dark & slightly raised, & i try to keep my makeup layered on lightly. Also my skin gets oily in chin/cheeks/nose, and my chin is a place i rub quite a bit out of nervous habit bc i am insecure of the texture lol

For the past couple months or so i havent been getting a lot of acne though, surprisingly enough. But I also have been eating healthier/more veggies, less microwaved/greasy food. I have been using minimal acne products on my skin-- maybe throw in some of this product called "Miraclear" when something does come up, but normally all I do now is just rinse my face off with cold water or use a very gentle scrub, like with the gel bubbles. The pill might also be helping it. Actually, the other week, when I was in the shower, I put on some of this step 1 acne product we had, just to see if it would ease up any of the very light acne i had at the moment, and oh my gosh my face was so irritated and red, it burned. I don't see how that stuff can help,when i was using my mom's proactiv when i was younger it probably just made it worse..

Last edited:
when u guys say scars, do you mean it as those pigmentation (brown spots) or those dented scars?

- - - Post Merge - - -

and i think my new sunscreen broke me out. either that or im not removing them properly.

my acne scars are scar tissue, start off pinky red, then over time they fade to white, the scars on my chin are raised, I'm hoping they'll fade more over time

It's strange, once every like 5-6 months I'll get a bit of acne on my face around my nose or my forehead, but like I'm pretty much acne free. Must be a genetic thing cause I'm pretty sure that neither of my parents had acne either.

I know the main cause of it can be having oily skin, I always wash my face when I take a shower so that could be a big factor in keeping acne away.

I used to get really bad all over face breakouts and even boils that sometimes made me sick.
Thankfully that's pretty much gone but I'm dealing with all the scarring right now and trying to get rid of it. I've got both the dents and the pigmentation and normal concealer doesn't cover it well enough. My face still looks bumpy and dented and the pigmentation always shows through foundation. My issue is every time I get close to clearing the scars away for good I break out again. :( Hopefully I can actually get rid of it once and for all this time. Wish me luck!

I used to get really bad all over face breakouts and even boils that sometimes made me sick.
Thankfully that's pretty much gone but I'm dealing with all the scarring right now and trying to get rid of it. I've got both the dents and the pigmentation and normal concealer doesn't cover it well enough. My face still looks bumpy and dented and the pigmentation always shows through foundation. My issue is every time I get close to clearing the scars away for good I break out again. :( Hopefully I can actually get rid of it once and for all this time. Wish me luck!

damn it sucks to have the dented ones. make sure not to over wash or do anything more than needed with ur facial products and dont pick them.

i actually just started accutane two weeks ago because reviews on it were amazing. i talked to my dermatologist about it and she started me on it. i don't have terrible skin like acne everywhere since people usually use it for that. just a lot of redness and scarring but never any like cysts or anything like that. after the 6 months i was going to ask to be put on retin a just incase there is still redness and its full of vitamin c. acne is truly a pain in the ass people sometimes can't help so kudos to all the people living with it

Back