• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Sketchy nintendo things.

Sky The Cutie

Cutest Cup of tea
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
6955-6721-5107
Red Cosmos
White Cosmos
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
I guess this has been bothering me for a while, but ever since the new 3ds and other bigger consoles came out I noticed a lot of peoples original 3ds have been just dying. Recently I was playing on my 3ds, perhaps a coincidence but i've taken great care of it since 2013, and Haven't began to play it until about January of 2017. It was doing fine until about a month ago when it randomly began to have an error. Slowly but surely it got to the point where I can not go onto my games without it having an error, and it sucks. So being a person with a brain I decide, hey! Let me call nintendo support, but to my dismay they stopped working on original 3ds, which would mean I'd have to buy the new3ds for 200 dollars.. Perhaps it isnt a marketing plan but overall bad technology, but perhaps they made the 3ds only durable for so long so people have to buy the new kind? Am I over-analyzing things? What are some weird nintendo coincidences you've encountered?

Planned obsolescence is definitely a possibility, and customer support not working on the original 3ds anymore is definitely a symptom of that. I generally think of nintendo as a more trustworthy company that wouldn't pull something like that, but you never know.

I've had my 3ds since 2013 as well and have played on it periodically since then. Maybe it was a result of not using it for so long? Or you could be right, you never know.

Nintendo may not have powerful consoles, but they generally want to make sure that their stuff works (or at the very least, they make the effort).

To me, they're the company that sometimes just makes bad or confusing marketing decisions, but I wouldn't consider them the kind of company that would do this.

I still have my GBC, GBA and DSLite. All work perfectly. I've never had Nintendo hardware break on me. It's happened to me several times with Sony hardware.

Planned obsolescence is utter nonsense.

My 3DS from Christmas 2011 became unusable sometime last year or so. The main problem is the battery needs replacing, but it does have other problems like the 3D not turning off and it not being able to detect chargers very well. (I had to get out the charging dock that hadn't been used since around the time I got the 3DS. It was working fine then until the battery became the new problem.)
I never had sent it for repair because I don't really trust that the data would stay on it and I've also heard of repair being expensive. Of course, now I can't send it in for repair.

My 3ds still works and I would always drop it on the kitchen floor which is hard tile and it even had water damage but I didn't even have to get it fixed it just started working again and it still works fine without any problems.

So far, most of my 3DS handhelds didn't decayed from simply using them. Although I didn't spend an extensive amount of time with them, one of my vanilla 3DS consoles consistently suffered crash while playing ACNL for at least longer than 15 minutes. My latest New 3DS XL developed a somewhat inconsequential bad habit on not registering the B button unless if I apply slightly more pressure in it than the rest of the face buttons.

Throughout the platform's lifespan, there seems to be a good amount of evidences on Internet that any 3DS is somehow less reliable than the previous Nintendo consoles. And that can occur even with a perfectly normal usage.
Although I have no clear idea on the real root of the problem, I'm guessing that it has to do with the way every 3DS hardware is designed and programmed.

I also had run into bad luck with some of the older DS models. One of my DS Lite handhelds suddenly gained a reddish tint on the upper screen, and another one with the infamously common cracked hinge. Then, the R button of my original DSi eventually stopping working.

my 3ds from launch still works perfectly fine lol and i got it when it was 9 so it went thru a lot of ****. my dslite from like 2006 still works perfectly fine (bar a single line of dead pixels) so honestly nintendo products are really well built

they've bugged it, definitely. just like microsoft bugging the diskdrives for the original xbox ones so people would have to buy the newer model. greed.

- - - Post Merge - - -

my 3ds from launch still works perfectly fine lol and i got it when it was 9 so it went thru a lot of ****. my dslite from like 2006 still works perfectly fine (bar a single line of dead pixels) so honestly nintendo products are really well built

they never acquired updates. these things are easily tampered with when you've software that can be accessed

they've bugged it, definitely. just like microsoft bugging the diskdrives for the original xbox ones so people would have to buy the newer model. greed.

- - - Post Merge - - -

they never acquired updates. these things are easily tampered with when you've software that can be accessed

ya but even my 3ds works perfectly fine

ya but even my 3ds works perfectly fine

it's not something that happens all in one go, that'd be too obvious. if you look up the amount of complaints within the last couple of months since the launch of the new consoles you'd see is more than a coincidence. this happens a lot with new technology, they're easily accessed making their quantity a lot lower due to "internal malfunction" sony major in this (phones, consoles etc) along with microsoft.

My older 3ds stopped working around the same time the new 3ds came out but personally I think It was just wear and tear for me. I mean not everyone's 3ds is going to break around the same time, honestly I think think for most people it's just getting a little old. Mine just needs a battery replacement but other than that it's fine.

I play my 3DSes more than all of my other systems combined and I haven't had anything bad happen yet. Hope it stays that way...

Seriously, Nintendo. Don't make me hate and boycott you.

I've never really had problems with mine, and I've had it since 2011! The only real thing that happened is that the B button didn't work for a few months about 2 years ago, but then one day it just started working again and I haven't had any problems since

Back