Do you think Isabelle was supposed to be Mayor?

Ably.Saucey

Count your Many Blessings
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Switch
5195-6588-2889
Orange Balloon
Father's Day Carnation
Spring Sakura
Blue Hybrid Violet
Purple Violet
Red Pansy
White Violet
Famous Mushroom
Spring Shamrock
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
I'm mean really.
She's better at running the town, she admits to the fact that she just moved to town herself when you first start and she seemed pretty keen on convincing everyone else that you were the mayor when you first got off the train.
Ok, so she moves into town after getting to job online and after a few weeks, Tortimer decides she's so efficient that he unexpectedly retires and makes her mayor.
She's the one that files paperwork so she shreds it and devises a plot to rope in a new mayor.
It all makes sense!

Maybe she didn't take the position since some family already lived there*, and didn't want it to seem like favoritism.

Maybe she prefers to use a figurehead. (you)

*Digby and Uncle Harvey. (Harvey's their uncle in my head, leave me alone.)

Last edited:
Could just be. The only thing is, if that were true, she would also have to convince everyone that she is the secretary, even before there's any mayor at all

Could just be. The only thing is, if that were true, she would also have to convince everyone that she is the secretary, even before there's any mayor at all

Hmmmm...Ok, so she moves into town after getting to job online and after a few weeks, Tortimer decides she's so efficient that he unexpectedly retires and makes her mayor.
She's the one that files paperwork so she shreds it and devises a plot to rope in a new mayor.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Isabelle is the real mayor is already set in stone in my town history.

Last edited:
I think of her as Mayor in all but name - she decides whether you can place a PWP in a particular spot.
When you update the game to 'ac welcome amiibo' she sits opposite you on the train and tells you Harvey came to see her and she decided to let him open up a campsite. Yeah.
And have you noticed that little smirky smile she gives as you leave the town hall.

Having said that I like her, but I'm not deceived, she's the power in the town, no longer Nook & it has never been us.
Edit: if you have her amiibo figurine she has some interesting dialog in her RV - can't remember exactly now, but it reinforces the idea I have of her.

Last edited:
I personally believe Rover was supposed to be Mayor. Why else would he be in the Train and act suspicious and strange when beginning your Town? He clearly was going to be Mayor but he passed it on to the Player, reasons are unknown currently, he probably didn't want to become Mayor so he simply made the Player enter the Town.

Isabelle... I doubt she was, she does act odd in the beginning however, so that would cause many to think she was supposed to be the Mayor.

I've always thought Rover was supposed to be mayor, but he didn't want to give up his freedom of traveling the world for a stationary office job.

I like both your Isabelle theory and the Rover theory. :) I guess that's the beauty of it, we will never know. ^^

Isabelle is an interesting character. I don't really think she would've taken the job because she is already perfectly happy being a secretary. Also, you get a letter from someone that they were supposed to be mayor but switched trains and fate brought you into the job instead. The only question is who that person is...

I personally believe Rover was supposed to be Mayor. Why else would he be in the Train and act suspicious and strange when beginning your Town? He clearly was going to be Mayor but he passed it on to the Player, reasons are unknown currently, he probably didn't want to become Mayor so he simply made the Player enter the Town.

Isabelle... I doubt she was, she does act odd in the beginning however, so that would cause many to think she was supposed to be the Mayor.

Lmao rover does that in every game. He's annoying as hell about it too.

And just the thought of him at all makes me want to jump off a cliff >___>

Oh Isabelle already is the mayor. She runs all of the events and organizes the process for pwps. She's always in the office while my mayor is slacking off on the island. lol

I wouldn't like her to be mayor tbh. She's such a cute secretary ;) Plus I'd want Tortimer to be mayor :( I miss him

She might very well be. She runs the town if we disappear, she chooses where we place our own houses as well as pwp. She is also the one to reprimand villagers. And she has her own office.

I never really thought about it before, but the more I read this thread the more sense it makes. We're all just Isabelle's puppets.

i never heard the rover theory but i like it !!!!! i know he's in every one but maybe that's why he's asked to be mayor

Lmao rover does that in every game. He's annoying as hell about it too.

And just the thought of him at all makes me want to jump off a cliff >___>
I've noticed that so many of your comments about animal crossing around the forum are really negative.
I'm asking this seriously, not trolling you. Do you even like animal crossing?

Also my thoughts about Isabelle are that she is basically the Mayor. Like, she wasn't specifically assigned to be the mayor but when she see how noob-ish you are at it she's all... "here's my chance!" And kinda steps in for ya. Lawl

Last edited:
I always thought Rover was the mayor, but just passed on the responsibility to the player.

My theory is this:

He sees you, the only one, on the train (I don't know if this counts as evidence or not but when you get off the train, no one else is on it), and it's heading to the town you're moving to.

He comes over and suddenly starts asking all these questions.
After this point, he knows where you're heading to since you told him.

He also learns that you don't have a house to live in when you get there and sees this as the perfect opportunity to assign this player as mayor as it would make it easier for him to get a house—it would be inconsiderate of the residents, Isabelle, and Tom Nook, to deny the player of a house;
maybe Rover feels sorry for the player (although I must admit this point is a bit off as players after the mayor can do the same thing. In previous games, vacant houses were already present, but in NL there isn't, so Rover wouldn't have to do this, as he knows your chances of getting a house are high in previous games but dangerously low in NL).

The letter sent to you from the 'unknown sender' happens to have been able to reach you in your town. You told Rover where you were moving to on the train, so he knows exactly where to address this letter. If this unknown sender was someone else, how would he know you were the mayor? How would they know if they sent it to the right place?

Also, Rover was the only other person on the train (again, I'm not sure about this but you are the only person visible in the train when you arrive at the train station) so it could've been very possible that he was heading to your town too, but decided to stay on the train and avoid being the mayor, pushing all the responsibility on you.

This is my theory and there's probably holes everywhere in the evidence I've suggested :p

Last edited:
Back