• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Personality or Appearance?

Both. They could lack in the appearance department, but personality is more favorable and vice versa.

Usually both. I try to have all personalities whenever I'm starting so I can get the PWP requests. Jock and Uchi are usually the first/second to move out once I've finished theirs haha I like the Uchi's dialogue though.

For me it's a combination of both. I found when I simply picked 10 villagers by their looks I ended up with 3 snooties and 3 peppies. Now I actually really like peppies as they are so cute and happy so it didn't bother me but the 3 snooties really started getting on my nerves, as did Beau's lazy personality for some reason. I also found I loved talking to normals and I missed having an uchi. So, I decided to swap Diana for Molly, let Beau go and I'm currently waiting to adopt Deirdre and I'm really happy about my choices so far. :)

So, if you are curious, I've decided to get:
3 peppies, 2 snooties, 2 normals, 1 cranky, 1 smug & 1 uchi.

...meanwhile thank goodness my random void move in Bianca is moving out so I can adopt Deirdre. Currently I have 4 peppies, yikes. I pretend Bianca doesn't exist. XD lol I'm sorry, you are cute and all but...

Last edited:
Curlos just moved into my town so I hope he isn't mean to me haha.
I judge by appearance but if I end up having good interactions I end up liking them despite their appearance

A bit of both tbh :) I guess you always judge villagers based on their apperance at the start, and it's something we all do. But I definately have been villagers that have looked ugly at the start, but have been turned out to be really good villagers :D For example, I hated Mathilda at first but she turned out to be really cool :D

I choose villagers that look like their personality. Jambette and Big Top surprised me because they were Normal and Lazy while I thought they were Snooty and Jock respectively. I don't like them though because they are in bad places that I wanted to put paths on. I'll just respect their wishes to move and store their goodbye letters forever in the post office. (I like keeping goodbye letters from my villagers. Even if I hated them.)

Both. I find grumpy or angry-looking faces cute when their personality is nice.

I kinda accept most villagers as they appear in my town. They usually just grow on me anyways. If I'm short of a personality type (i need all of them in my town at all times lol) and I'm browsing the villager trading forum, I'll try and go for villagers I haven't had before. Appearance matters somewhat but if their house is hideous even if they are cute, i can;t accept them lol. I enjoy landscaping out of all aspects of the game, so that would bother me too much.

Last edited:
I will usually judge by appearance or animal species, since I have a theme going through my town. I wish I could say otherwise! I absolutely hate snobs though so usually I will try to get them out of my town. I was so sad to find out that Willow was a snob! I realized it when she sent me the most stuck up letter ever. I literally said I liked her house and she thought I was pitying her. So what am I supposed to say, that I hate her house? Yeah, I don't understand them.

I did the net of fury too! When he pinged me to move out, I told him he should, but then he changed his mind. So I kept using the net until I found out about the TT trick.

Does the net actually work? Because I have been missing this aspect if it does. I'd love to know!

I usually go based by personality. I was so embarrassed when Beardo first moved into one of my past save files, but in the end he was so sweet to me that he ended up being one of my favorite villagers and now he's one of my dreamies.

personality is the most important but good is not always what i like and sometimes it's a surprise

i don't like peppy villagers but i love carmen because she reminds me of my new friend and so when she is excited or sad it is like my friend is excited or sad and i want my friend to live in my town

olivia is very very very snooty. she is my next door neighbor and every time i come over to her house she sends me a letter saying that my pity makes her sad. every time!!!!! and she's so mean to molly, but without her my little neighborhood would be booooorrrring

speaking of molly she is VERY cute and very... normal looking? and she's normal and i like normal villagers but she's so cute that she's just boooorrrrriiiing

moe also lives in my neighborhood and he is the full package he is cool looking and funny because he's lazy and dumb and also his house is very cool. dizzy is also lazy but he's more silly than dumb and alfonso is also lazy and dumb but in a clueless way and moe just knows he's dumb and is okay with it.

and in saturday del and hamphrey have the same personality, but del is much more like an uncle and hamphrey is like a dad and i like del a lot more than i like hamphrey. frank is also cranky and he's not like either of them at all, he is much more selfish and not like a family man at all.

so personality TYPE doesn't matter so much but individual personality does more than appearance :-3

Appearance, I could really care less about their ingame personality (woops). Though I've run into a couple of really nice villagers and although they aren't the best looking, I've decided to keep them (i.e. Muffy, who I always thought looked creepy)

I guess i tend to fall in love with the personality types bc I never have room for my dreamies .... I love everyone n dont want them to move D':

I usually pick villagers by appearance or nostalgia. I try to keep an even balance of personalities but sometimes that fails :/
Right now I have 4 normal villagers and its killing me because they all say the same things

Back