• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

// lunatepic's art dump // (updated w art summaries)

Let me start off by saying I love your art so much!
I love the little details you include such as little snowflakes in the background of one of them, it really suits the character and the backgrounds you include in some of them even just semi backgrounds like the ground are amazing! Your art is so cute and now that I've seen your art I aspire to one day be as good as you (even tho that will never happen lol)

sidenote; how long did it take to make your amazingly talented bee and puppy cat painting?

you're too sweet, thanks so much!!! ^^ probably 10+ hours or something (across the span of like a week? i think)

dumpu (WARNING: lots of big images and lots of scrolling ahead)
nanpan_by_lunallumi-dcfsi5i.png

freebooo_by_lunallumi-dcc59ir.png

cheeeeeeebs_by_lunallumi-dccwc5g.png

hhhh_by_lunallumi-dcctnu7.png

aaaaa_by_lunallumi-dcb6mcw.png

uhhhh_by_lunallumi-dcd0idj.png

whomst_by_lunallumi-dcczr6p.png

guess which binch finally cleaned up the op!! i also recently pirated downloaded photoshop but i'm too intimidated by it to actually use it hahahaah

highkey considering opening a shop now that it's summer and i have a lot more free time!

Last edited:
Still lovin your drawinggsssssss #__#

Also I was wondering if you could help me. I've been wanting to get back into drawing but my past of messing up and being extremely self-judgemental about everything I do keeps me from doing it. Idk if you've ever felt this way but I was thinking maybe you could help me get back into it...

Still lovin your drawinggsssssss #__#

Also I was wondering if you could help me. I've been wanting to get back into drawing but my past of messing up and being extremely self-judgemental about everything I do keeps me from doing it. Idk if you've ever felt this way but I was thinking maybe you could help me get back into it...

yeah i get you! i think it's a pretty common thing for artists to feel, actually. there are times when i wish my stuff was less messy and ~animu~ but that's just how my hand naturally draws. i guess you just have to keep in mind that there's a difference between wanting to improve and constantly berating yourself for making mistakes! there's no such thing as perfect art, and "mess ups" are less like mistakes and more like learning experiences. learning to be confident in what you do is a skill (albeit one that comes more easily to some people than others)

tl;dr my fake deep bs
don't push yourself, draw what makes you happy, draw for yourself! try drawing everyday, even if it's a little messy doodle on the back of a receipt or something. look back on really old art and see how much you've improved.
sorry if this doesn't make much sense! i'm pretty bad at giving advice, but if you want to talk about it more feel free to vm me my dude

^^ thanks! I think the hardest thing about being confident in your own art is seeing other people do so well and have an art shop on here to make tbt and it gets alotta requests and stuff, but when I did mine I felt like I didn't get many. I know my art style prob isn't what people want but I still like to draw for them ;w;

Idk I'll keep working on my style. Maybe it'll get better.

thank youuu <33

meeekuuu6_by_lunallumi-dcj0yu8.png

dormire_by_lunallumi-dcip9v2.png

pansear_and_nana__by_lunallumi-dcj3fjx.png

hoho_by_lunallumi-dckkk18.png

hitchhikers_guide___by_lunallumi-dcl4n49.png

coffee_crema_by_lunallumi-dckxl3t.png

bunny_by_lunallumi-dcl4sog.png

been experimenting a lot more with colours recently!!

Just wanted to say I love the way you paint, it's so expressive! I know you call it "messy" but I really adore that style. It captures movement so well, and I love the varying depth you add to clothing using hard and soft shading. Your colour palettes are gorgeous, and the geometric backgrounds really make everything pop out. I dunno what else to say, I just love your style so much! I really wish I knew how to make more expressive line art the way you do, that's something I can't seem to change no matter how hard I try lol. That painterly style is just so beautiful, and I'm really digging that second to last one. It feels so... earthy and natural.

Just wanted to say I love the way you paint, it's so expressive! I know you call it "messy" but I really adore that style. It captures movement so well, and I love the varying depth you add to clothing using hard and soft shading. Your colour palettes are gorgeous, and the geometric backgrounds really make everything pop out. I dunno what else to say, I just love your style so much! I really wish I knew how to make more expressive line art the way you do, that's something I can't seem to change no matter how hard I try lol. That painterly style is just so beautiful, and I'm really digging that second to last one. It feels so... earthy and natural.

;; aaaaaaat thank you, that means a lot!! Your art is lovely as well!

Lineart's always been a massive pain for me and full on painting can be time consuming, so I usually settle on kind of blending the lines into the colours haha?? I personally find lines easier to do with thicker and softer/semi-transparent brushes - try experimenting with different kinds and find what your hand is most comfortable with! The size of your lineart brush can also drastically affect the end result, using a variety of sizes (thicker around facial features and the outline, thinner for small details like hair and wrinkles in clothes) usually adds a bit more depth.

;; aaaaaaat thank you, that means a lot!! Your art is lovely as well!

Lineart's always been a massive pain for me and full on painting can be time consuming, so I usually settle on kind of blending the lines into the colours haha?? I personally find lines easier to do with thicker and softer/semi-transparent brushes - try experimenting with different kinds and find what your hand is most comfortable with! The size of your lineart brush can also drastically affect the end result, using a variety of sizes (thicker around facial features and the outline, thinner for small details like hair and wrinkles in clothes) usually adds a bit more depth.

Ah crap, sorry I didn't see this until now! My activity has been a bit spotty lol. Thank you btw!

So do you colour on the same layer to blend into the lineart? I think I tried doing that once but I always make an absolute mess of it haha. Maybe it just takes practice, but I really do love the result of it in your work, you've inspired me to try it the next time I attempt to colour something! I hope you don't mind me asking how you work or organise your layers, that's always been a bit of a puzzle for me though I know it's kind of a personal preference between artists depending on their style. But I really love to hear the methods of others. :D

Ah crap, sorry I didn't see this until now! My activity has been a bit spotty lol. Thank you btw!

So do you colour on the same layer to blend into the lineart? I think I tried doing that once but I always make an absolute mess of it haha. Maybe it just takes practice, but I really do love the result of it in your work, you've inspired me to try it the next time I attempt to colour something! I hope you don't mind me asking how you work or organise your layers, that's always been a bit of a puzzle for me though I know it's kind of a personal preference between artists depending on their style. But I really love to hear the methods of others. :D

I usually block in colours on a layer beneath the sketch with a hard opaque brush, and airbrush in some simple shading. After that I lock opacity on the lineart layer and colour over the lines to make them match the colours more/make them not stand out as much, if that makes sense? After that I usually save an extra copy of the canvas and merge the two layers (the extra copy is in case I mess something up which and want to redo stuff which is usually the case with more detailed stuff orz) This is when I start blending stuff together!
hoho1_by_lunallumi-dcmzzid.png

hoho2_by_lunallumi-dcn06wb.png

First picture is before merging layers, second is finished product! While blending/colouring I usually keep everything to one layer unless I want to add extra details that I want to pop out (the extra lines on her shorts and sweater) or extra shading w a multiply layer. (note: I realized that maybe "blend" isn't the best word... it's more like I just colour over the lines with the base colours?? I did this in a bit of a rush so some of the original sketch lines would ideally be covered up a little more)

Ofh and this is the brush I've been using lately, I play around with the density and textures sometimes but I use it for lineart and colouring and pretty much everything!

In the rare occasion that I don't merge the lineart and colour layers (x x), I tend to keep the lines a lot thinner. I still keep all the colouring on one layer, but that's just a personal preference (I'm too impatient to keep track of any more than 3 layers tbh hahaha)

Aaaaand that's basically it? If my rambling was a little too unclear let me know, I really am super happy to have inspired you a little :blush:

I usually block in colours on a layer beneath the sketch with a hard opaque brush, and airbrush in some simple shading. After that I lock opacity on the lineart layer and colour over the lines to make them match the colours more/make them not stand out as much, if that makes sense? After that I usually save an extra copy of the canvas and merge the two layers (the extra copy is in case I mess something up which and want to redo stuff which is usually the case with more detailed stuff orz) This is when I start blending stuff together!
hoho1_by_lunallumi-dcmzzid.png

hoho2_by_lunallumi-dcn06wb.png

First picture is before merging layers, second is finished product! While blending/colouring I usually keep everything to one layer unless I want to add extra details that I want to pop out (the extra lines on her shorts and sweater) or extra shading w a multiply layer. (note: I realized that maybe "blend" isn't the best word... it's more like I just colour over the lines with the base colours?? I did this in a bit of a rush so some of the original sketch lines would ideally be covered up a little more)

Ofh and this is the brush I've been using lately, I play around with the density and textures sometimes but I use it for lineart and colouring and pretty much everything!

In the rare occasion that I don't merge the lineart and colour layers (x x), I tend to keep the lines a lot thinner. I still keep all the colouring on one layer, but that's just a personal preference (I'm too impatient to keep track of any more than 3 layers tbh hahaha)

Aaaaand that's basically it? If my rambling was a little too unclear let me know, I really am super happy to have inspired you a little :blush:

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for taking the time to explain that all to me! The way you work with layers is something I had never really thought about before, I've never experimented with the idea of just keeping the sketch on top and working it into the colours underneath. Admittedly brush settings are something I'm absolutely lacking knowledge on, I tend to stick to changing the size and softness and not much else. I really appreciate you sharing your brush settings, and I hope you don't mind me trying them out some time! The texture looks so natural, I'm actually excited to see how I can work with it haha.

Another thing I love about your work is that your lineart isn't dark, or straight black, it's always a colour that fits with flats of the subject. Do you tend to start with a brown when sketching? Or does it depend on the colours you have planned? I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions, this just something I've tried to understand myself but in the end it always turns out totally different from what I had envisioned lmao. Maybe I'm trying to force it too much, I'm not sure. I think about what you said in an earlier post where you figured that's just the way your hand draws, and it's made me wonder if it's not my style. Trying new styles is fun though, even if it doesn't always work out, I think there's usually something to be learned from it, and I'm really thankful you've been explaining some of your method to me. :blush:

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for taking the time to explain that all to me! The way you work with layers is something I had never really thought about before, I've never experimented with the idea of just keeping the sketch on top and working it into the colours underneath. Admittedly brush settings are something I'm absolutely lacking knowledge on, I tend to stick to changing the size and softness and not much else. I really appreciate you sharing your brush settings, and I hope you don't mind me trying them out some time! The texture looks so natural, I'm actually excited to see how I can work with it haha.

Another thing I love about your work is that your lineart isn't dark, or straight black, it's always a colour that fits with flats of the subject. Do you tend to start with a brown when sketching? Or does it depend on the colours you have planned? I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions, this just something I've tried to understand myself but in the end it always turns out totally different from what I had envisioned lmao. Maybe I'm trying to force it too much, I'm not sure. I think about what you said in an earlier post where you figured that's just the way your hand draws, and it's made me wonder if it's not my style. Trying new styles is fun though, even if it doesn't always work out, I think there's usually something to be learned from it, and I'm really thankful you've been explaining some of your method to me. :blush:

It's really no problem, I always enjoy rambling about these things haha

For lines, I usually start with a really dark reddish brown or bluish black (with the brush I use they end up a lot softer and lighter than they actually are). Once I block in the colours underneath the sketch I'll change up the colours in the lineart to make them blend in more, which is usually a darker, less saturated variant of whatever colour is underneath (with the exception of skin and hair, in which case I make the lines darker and more saturated bc it looks a little better imo). With the example above, though, I didn't change the line colours much besides airbrushing in some red here and there. It really depends on the piece, and a lot of my lines end up covered up anyway so I try not to spend too much time on them.

I don't think I've ever drawn anything exactly like I envisioned it. Honestly my art process is mostly improvising and just... re-doing things until they look semi-decent?? Part of why I enjoy digital art so much more than traditional is being able to change things so easily. I can do things as fast and as messily as I want knowing I have multiple saves of my canvases, whereas traditional art feels so much more rigid and... not fun lol. I dunno, detail has never been a forte of mine. Everybody excels at different things! It is important to experiment and break out of your comfort zone occasionally, but forcing yourself to go all out on every single piece can be exhausting. I think a good way to explore different styles and methods without burning yourself out too much is watching speedpaints - you get a deeper understanding of the way they work compared to just looking at the pieces, slowing down the video also helps. x x <-- here are two artists that heavily inspired the way I paint!

sol1_by_lunallumi-dcnsxr6.png

they1_by_lunallumi-dcnq2fz.png

new oc! i've been sitting on this design for a while and finally decided to make something with it.

Last edited:
It's really no problem, I always enjoy rambling about these things haha

For lines, I usually start with a really dark reddish brown or bluish black (with the brush I use they end up a lot softer and lighter than they actually are). Once I block in the colours underneath the sketch I'll change up the colours in the lineart to make them blend in more, which is usually a darker, less saturated variant of whatever colour is underneath (with the exception of skin and hair, in which case I make the lines darker and more saturated bc it looks a little better imo). With the example above, though, I didn't change the line colours much besides airbrushing in some red here and there. It really depends on the piece, and a lot of my lines end up covered up anyway so I try not to spend too much time on them.

I don't think I've ever drawn anything exactly like I envisioned it. Honestly my art process is mostly improvising and just... re-doing things until they look semi-decent?? Part of why I enjoy digital art so much more than traditional is being able to change things so easily. I can do things as fast and as messily as I want knowing I have multiple saves of my canvases, whereas traditional art feels so much more rigid and... not fun lol. I dunno, detail has never been a forte of mine. Everybody excels at different things! It is important to experiment and break out of your comfort zone occasionally, but forcing yourself to go all out on every single piece can be exhausting. I think a good way to explore different styles and methods without burning yourself out too much is watching speedpaints - you get a deeper understanding of the way they work compared to just looking at the pieces, slowing down the video also helps. x x <-- here are two artists that heavily inspired the way I paint!

Thank you so much for explaining in such detail omg. I really appreciate it, and I've checked out the artists you linked too. My god, I really can't get my head around the fact that a lot of artists can just work exclusively on one layer. It's insane! I guess that does help make it look way more natural than confining all things to their own separate layers. But you're right, it's really all down to style in the end and whatever you excel at. Thanks so much for sharing this with me, it's given me some serious food for thought with art, and even though I've been on a bit of a break with it, it's given me incentive to try some new things. Love your latest works too! The faces are so soft and appealing.

tried my hand at doing an art summary (+ a chibi version of it too bc more than half the things i drew this year were chibis ahaha.. i also cheated once or twice to fill out all the boxes shhh)
dcvokua-82f73795-cb61-486b-921e-422cb3c179ba.png

dcvokw5-95a9f366-b470-46ac-abd0-379a1f38bc87.png

overall i'm pretty happy with my stuff this year! i feel like i learned a lot (especially about colour) next year i wanna draw more environments + fanart and hopefully start posting to social media more

I wish I drew enough to do an art summary lol

Still, really lovin those drawings!! Keep at em my friend :cool:

Back