What scared you as a child?

I was scared of heavy rain/storms and The Grudge. My parents would always threaten me saying the "obake" or what ever is going to get me and the grudge is pretty much exactly what I imagined a Japanese ghost to look like, especially from this and this scene.

Oh god, the grudge still scares me to this day. I wanna watch the movie but that character creeps me the most.

...Phone calls home! Mostly for "leaving school property" in elementary school. Someone mentioned the darkness beneath the water - like when you open your eyes underwater in a lake - yep, scared of that too. Hmm, I think trying to imagine non-existence kind of freaked me out as well. I wasn't a very easily scared child. I'm a lot fearful now as an adult though haha.

My dad use to chase me around the house to try and tickle me.
I think he thought I was having fun but I was genuinely pissing myself.

We had this automated toy yoda thing that would start talking if you moved by it and when I was younger it scared me so bad I hated it. My parents had to take the batteries out but even then being around it and in its presence still scared me

Tornadoes, fires (basically the thought of my house getting destroyed), ghosts, zombies, being yelled at.. and for some reason the opening of "A Goofy Movie" when Max has that nightmare where he turns into Goofy LOL idk what it was, I guess maybe I just thought it looked really painful? but it honestly scared me soo much.

I watched 13 ghosts (2001) when I was around 12y/o and was afraid to shut my eyes in the shower when washing my hair for fear that one of the ghosts would appear on the other side of the glass when I opened them. That went on for a good few months

I used to have really vivid nightmares too.

and of course, the dark, which still scares me.

Other than the common things a child would be a afraid of,
I was also scared of:

-the "static" loud part at the end of a VHS tape (usually I'm alone at this point, at night)
-there was a stuffed hang-up in my room of a bear head on top of a rainbow; cute in the day,
creepy at night.

For a while I was scared of looking out the window at night, especially the huge veranda window in my old apartment. When I was younger there was this woman that killed herself in the apartment a few blocks down and for some reason my stupid teenage brain was convinced she was murdered (too much csi maybe? lol). One time I was walking to the kitchen and I saw this man just staring blankly into our house (we lived on the first floor). I could only see him because there was a street light on outside.. man it scared the crap out of me. I ran to the kitchen and instinctively grabbed my dog (lol) but when I came back he was gone. After that inicident I couldn't walk to my kitchen at night without protection from my confused and sleepy toy poodle lol.

I was absolutely petrified of Sesame Street until I was 8...

And I loved puppets, so I don't even understand why!

When I played Banjo-Tooie back on my N64 the level Jolly Roger's Lagoon used to frighten me, diving down deep, deep underwater and not knowing what's down there... Then I saw those jiggling anemones o_O

Also, seeing Clanker for the first time, watching in fear as he opened his giant mouth, grinding his saw-like, bloodstained teeth at me...

As odd as this sounds, the movie The Blob. It's not scary at all, but as a kid it horrified me.

Back