Renaming the "Normal" Type

Lackadaisy

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
"Normal" sounds so average and bland - unlike the other types that reflect a distinct personality, it doesn't say anything. Like with Normal type Pok?mon, the name actually makes me think of them as being somewhat boring :eek:

How words can shape our perception is noticeable when looking at other translations. German AC uses "athletic" for the jocks, "mature" for uchis and "balanced" for normals. All three paint a very different picture in my opinion (though not for better or worse necessarily)

I'd be curious to see others opinions on this!

I think the normal category fits them. The name gets the point across and there's no confusion about them. They are just normal villagers and I think that suits them.

I've never actually thought about this really and I'm sure it comes up in official media and such but do they actually mention the personality types in-game? It never struck me as self-aware enough for that sort of thing. So they are probably in some official media at least which means if English-speaking has normal and German-speaking has balanced then what is the original Japanese translation? That's what I'm intrigued by now. I suppose nice or cute or pleasant would be alternatives. They're slightly better than normal but they still don't have the same impact as snooty or cranky. They certainly seem more distinct.

That's the point?

I always thought normal was ok. I just think of them as average run of the mill villagers. Definitely the nicest, but most boring villagers as well as the most aesthetically pleasing as a whole.

Honestly some of the other personallity has died down in ACNL. Cranky doesn't seem as cranky, and snooty is more 'normal' than snooty. I don't really get smug personallity either.

i think the normal personality is fine bc it usually means theyre really nice lol. in general though, i think most of the personalities don't belong anyways. for example wolf link is "smug" but he's one of the sweetest villagers i have so i think normal wouldve suited him better. i think most smugs are naturally really sweet anyways though. (i.e. marshal and i'm too lazy to list others LMAO) so smug is kind of ehh. why not make actually smug villagers under the smug personaity?? it's dumb. (i'm looking at you, phoebe.)

as for the normal name, it's fine the way it is.

Last edited:
Obviously there's nothing wrong with the original name, and yes, in comparison to the other types the normals are less over the top. I just posed the question because language fascinates me, and I thought it could start an interesting discussion (which it has, in my opinion!). It's neat to see peoples' ideas and what characteristics stand out to them most. Every name suggestion here has made sense and given the type more individuality.

while Normals are pretty average with their personality, they do bear a rather high amount of intelligence, compared to the other personalities. Brainy, maybe?

sweet or smart maybe? I've become so accustomed to calling them normals though (even though the name doesn't quite fit), so anything else seems kinda weird

If you rename them to "Kind" than wouldn't that make the others else look bad? They're kind too you know! :lemon:

I have to agree with bookworm though.

I agree with calling them sensible. It works with Snooty and Peppy because it just sounds right, but i wouldnt be bothered if they left it as normal

Maybe something referencing their cleanliness would suit but I think while normal seems odd, it fits them.

Last edited:
they are literally like lil moms. lil mom friends.

ok fr though modest is a good one since they are polar opposites of snooty or maybe humble?

Last edited:
Back