I'm scared of death?

pastellrain

creator of whimsica
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Orange (Fruit)
It's just really unsettling for me to think that I'm going to die one day I guess. I'm especially scared of dying when I'm not ready. Like if I become involved in a freak accident tomorrow or something.

If someone told me I only had one more year to live, I'd try to enjoy it the best I could but I wouldn't be able to brush it off. I wouldn't be able to handle it.

Even though I have depression and anxiety I treasure life. I want to accomplish many things before it's time to go. I want to leave a mark in this world, fulfill my passions, and life to see my dreams. I'm also scared of people grieving me.

I'm so afraid of dying that I upload unfinished artwork so people could see it now, just in case I end up dying before I finish it. I see dying as something that can happen realistically. Many people think that it's near impossible to die the next day, but I always end up taking small measures just in case I really do.

That said, I do still to enjoy life to it's fullest. In fact, I think I'm a little TOO obsessed with having a great life. I'm scared of dying before I can make the most of things.

The only way I'll be okay with death is if I know for sure that heaven is real and like a paradise, I'll keep all my memories, and that I'll be reunited with everyone in my life.

it's the inevitable. of course nobody (not even those who snuff themselves) want to die. everybody has their own idealism of how they'd like the world to be and how they wanna live their lives. sadly, not everybody gets to fulfill their hopes and dreams but that's how it goes. it could be said that every individual has control of their own destiny and as those thoughts you have are very normal, try to focus more on not worrying about what'll happen after you crossed to the other side. all you truly have is yourself and your mind :)

it's the inevitable. of course nobody (not even those who snuff themselves) want to die. everybody has their own idealism of how they'd like the world to be and how they wanna live their lives. sadly, not everybody gets to fulfill their hopes and dreams but that's how it goes. it could be said that every individual has control of their own destiny and as those thoughts you have are very normal, try to focus more on not worrying about what'll happen after you crossed to the other side. all you truly have is yourself and your mind :)

Haha, yeah I'm very, very idealistic. Just ask anyone who knows me. I believe that in things like "having a purpose in the world" way too much haha. On one hand, it makes me very ambitious. On the other hand, it makes reality seem like disappointment.

Haha, yeah I'm very, very idealistic. Just ask anyone who knows me. I believe that in things like "having a purpose in the world" way too much haha. On one hand, it makes me very ambitious. On the other hand, it makes reality seem like disappointment.

do you believe your purpose has to be self validating or does it have to be fulfilled in the eyes of others? there's nothing wrong with idealism, just don't be too hard on yourself if you can't achieve your goals first, second or 50th try - we are all prone to mishaps! reality can be disappointing, but unless you can emit rule over all, there's nothing we can do ;/what are the things you'd like to see happen in your life?

I remember in 6th grade, we had to share in the class what we were afraid of, and I said I was scared of dying. My teacher pulled me aside after class like it was a bad thing. I think it is perfectly fine to be scared of death, since nobody is really sure what happens to an individual's presence once they do leave. Living every day like your last is a good way to keep yourself happy, but not if it drives you to be sad about it! Thankfully, 100% unexpected death is so rare that I personally can't be bothered to worry about it. It's definitely not unusual to be afraid about those we'll behind. Just know you aren't alone in how you feel :)

Same except I have no ambition. In fact I am ironically afraid to live as well.
I remember in 6th grade, we had to share in the class what we were afraid of, and I said I was scared of dying. My teacher pulled me aside after class like it was a bad thing.
Wow was it because you said the word "death" or was it because of the fact that you were afraid of it? Either way what a stupid teacher.

It's true, you never really think "I'm gonna die tomorrow" but it really can happen to anyone. Sometimes when I do think about it I am a little scared but at the same time, I'm not scared. I remember the moment I was able to make memories, I was 5 years old. I remember just waking up and being in a dark room and then going outside the room and seeing my family, that's the first memory to this day I can remember. What did we do before then? No one knows, if we don't know what it was like before we lived, death will probably be the same, we won't know we're dead and it'll just be dark.

Same except I have no ambition. In fact I am ironically afraid to live as well.
Wow was it because you said the word "death" or was it because of the fact that you were afraid of it? Either way what a stupid teacher.

they probably called you out because teachers n such are programmed to think children who think outside the box of which their supposedly suppose to are suddenly broken. i remember fearing hell at a very young age (4 or 5) and used to restrain from playing with other kids because i thought i was bad luck and only drag them down with me < this was probably influenced by the bs i was fed by nuns at school. one used to be so horrid to me because i was left-handed, jokingly calling me the lil witch when my parents went to meetings etc but would scold me everytime other adults weren't around.. so glad those antichrists don't have the influence they would of had years ago.

Nox, what are you afraid of?

Last edited:
You're certainly not unusual. Everybody fears death. Which is why you have to make the most of your life.
When I was younger, I wrote my 'Life Goals' in my diary. I think this was when I was in Year 5 or 6.
Today, when I was searching through my junk, I found the diary. It had been 10 years!
To be honest, I had very nice writing for a Year 6, haha! I loved writing back then!
Anyways, here was everything the 11 year-old me had written down.

~~~Life Goals~~~
-Have a pet (I already have one, it's a chick c: )
-Be friends with everybody
-Be smart in high school (this one was kinda stupid)
-Be a kind-mannered person
-Be amazing
-Be nice
-Be great
-Be awesome
-Be beautiful (rofl)
-Be brave
-Be powerful
-Be excellent
-Be proud
-Be friendly
-Be confident
-Be humble
-Be fierce (idek why I wrote that down)
-Be fair
-Be exciting
-Be adventurous
-Be ambitious
-Be enthusiastic
-Be cheerful
-Be brilliant
-Be glamorous
-Be helpful
-Be humorous
-Be capable
And lastly,
-Be yourself.

All of these goals kinda reminded me of those affirmations on YouTube. I was sorta laughing at some of the things I wrote down, but I was really touched by some of these, especially, 'Be yourself.' I really felt the need to put the list on this thread, because these are some things that I feel you have to achieve, to make the most of your life. C:

- - - Post Merge - - -

I remember in 6th grade, we had to share in the class what we were afraid of, and I said I was scared of dying. My teacher pulled me aside after class like it was a bad thing.

Wow! In Year 5, I said that I was scared of going to hell. Everybody laughed, but I didn't mean it in a humorous way. Thanks to all my classmates, the teacher dragged me outside and had a strict talk to me. I got really, really mad at the teacher, so I started yelling and arguing at her. After, she demanded me to head inside. She told me she would write a letter to my parents. I just screamed:
NO!
And I ran out of class, to the cricket pitch.
After, I got the gift of a detention. :C

Last edited:
I've been afraid of dying since I can remember. I think it is just normal for me. I am pain intolerant, I think of me being murdered, and I always think of myself drowning, or scenarios that will never actually happen but I scare myself anyways.

I think of being killed by someone else a lot now, my friends sister was killed, even though it was someone who she knew and he had "reasons" behind it, I fear being in pain while my life is being taken from me.

This girl from the state university was shot in the head and left there by a man who was let out of prison for rape a few days before.

I know someone who molested multiple family members and is out for "good behavior", a man who murdered a woman 15 years ago was randomly arrested one day, he was in my city starting his new life after the kill. My area isn't bad, at all really, murder is very rare here, it only occurs if you personally know the person. But I fear for my life everyday, if I have to walk outside for any reason I bring a sharpened pocket knife with the blade already out and I put it under my sleeve. I always look behind me when I walk outside, I always say "check your surroundings".

I totally get it.

There isn't much I want to do before I die so it doesn't really scare me. Like I'm not looking forward to anything in my life?
I told my friend this and she we like "You won't be able to see your family or eat chocolate!" like she was persuading a suicidal person not to kill themselves. (btw i dont think not being able to eat chocolate will stop you from killing yourself like, come on) I don't particularity want to die. Maybe sometimes but I would never actually kill myself. I scared of the pain but sometimes yeah I would totally welcome death if it wasn't too painful.

w o w that got ranty

Death's gonna happen. Let it happen when it needs to happen. Enjoy the time you have before death comes and don't waste it thinking about the inevitable

personally I don't think about this kind of stuff too often (maybe I'm just being ignorant haha), but I know for a fact that it's pretty natural to be scared of death/wanting to have a purpose - you're not alone my dude
(also dunno bout y'all but I'm getting cryogenized)

i fear death. i fear having to lose everything and leave everything behind. but what i fear more than death is what happens after it. i dont wanna be trapped in a dark space forever if thats what gonna happen. or if theres a next life i dont wanna be reborn as something i dont want to. if there's hell i certainly dont want to go either though im a good person i guess. the process of dying is not that bad compared to the uncertainty after death.

Last edited:
I'm not so much scared of dying, I'm just afraid of how I'll die. The idea of potentially dying in a slow and painful way terrifies me. There are so many awful ways to die, and I don't want to experience any of them. Drowning, burning alive, murder... It's so awful and the fact it could happen to me? We never think things will happen to us until they do. What happens after you die, I'm not worried about so much. I believe in God, so I believe that when I die I'll go to heaven. Every once and a while I worry about it, but most of the time I'm content.

im not scared of my death, ive already accepted it i guess. what i AM scared of is dying unexpectedly without getting a chance to say goodbye and leaving unfinished business behind. so id sooner die when i am mentally prepared for it, made amends, tied up loose ends, that sort of thing.

I guess it's inevitable, but I think the real fear we have about death is not doing enough with our life. We all want to do something with our life and make some sort of impact on the rest of the world, however small that would be, and death is pretty much the end of our impact. It's human nature to want to be something, do something, and have a fulfilling life, and it's kinda frightening to think that something can just happen and your life would end right there. And for the matter of what's after death, nobody actually knows, or can actually know, what's waiting for us after our life here. I mean, there are many ideas on the topic, and there's honestly no real way to know what's true. There could be the afterlife, there could be something along the lines of reincarnation, there could be any of the things countless religions have talked about being after our life, and there's even a possibility that there could be nothing else out there. Since there's no real way to know, I'm just going to live my life out the best I can, try and have a fulfilling life, and great death and whatever comes with it happily knowing that I've lived out my life here. So I guess I'm scared of it at the moment, because I haven't really done anything with my life yet, never really gotten a chance to live out my passions, dreams, ideas to the full extent I want to yet, never really fully lived yet.

Last edited:
It's just really unsettling for me to think that I'm going to die one day I guess. I'm especially scared of dying when I'm not ready. Like if I become involved in a freak accident tomorrow or something.

If someone told me I only had one more year to live, I'd try to enjoy it the best I could but I wouldn't be able to brush it off. I wouldn't be able to handle it.

Even though I have depression and anxiety I treasure life. I want to accomplish many things before it's time to go. I want to leave a mark in this world, fulfill my passions, and life to see my dreams. I'm also scared of people grieving me.

I'm so afraid of dying that I upload unfinished artwork so people could see it now, just in case I end up dying before I finish it. I see dying as something that can happen realistically. Many people think that it's near impossible to die the next day, but I always end up taking small measures just in case I really do.

That said, I do still to enjoy life to it's fullest. In fact, I think I'm a little TOO obsessed with having a great life. I'm scared of dying before I can make the most of things.

The only way I'll be okay with death is if I know for sure that heaven is real and like a paradise, I'll keep all my memories, and that I'll be reunited with everyone in my life.

I know how you feel...I also have depression and anxiety. I tend to think about death a lot, but I'm not scared of it. I know my life (or death) will have no big impact on the world, but that's fine with me. I prefer being largely unknown, only having my closest family and friends by my side. I can't handle knowing that others wants me to 'do more', it just makes me depressed (well more than I usually am).

And when I die, I don't want anyone to cry...I want them to play my favorite songs and have a big party at my funeral, with neon lights and arcade games. I want to go out with what I've always wanted to do in life, which is to have a party with those I'm closest to. But I won't be buried, I'll be cremated and I want my ashes to be placed on where my mom will eventually be buried.

Don't worry about leaving things unfinished, it will happen even if you don't want it to. What you can do is instead is focus on those closest to you, as they're the ones that really matter. **** those who say everyone has a 'bigger purpose', not everyone is gonna be the ****ing Pope or the President. It sets us up for unfulfilled expectations, and we sometimes we end up forgetting that the little things do indeed matter. This is why most people end up being *******s, they believe they're better than everyone else when in reality we are all made the same way...and we all die, only leaving behind memories that only a select few will remember.

And we're only scared of death because we don't want to face reality. Even if there is an afterlife, we shouldn't be in fear of it.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try to do something bigger, if that's what you want then go ahead. Just don't let others define your life based on how you lived it. If you can do that, then even on your worst days you'll feel a little bit better.

...At least, those are my views on the matter. I used to think I had some 'bigger purpose', but the stress that I got from it made me suicidal. Now that my views have changed, I feel that even if I die tomorrow I'll know that I lived on my own terms. Even if others decide to ruin my funeral plans, I don't care. I'll be gone at that point, so I have no worries. Or even if only a few how up to my funeral, that'd be fine too. I'd rather have just my closest family and friends, rather than those trecharous thieving snakes I disowned long ago.

I almost avoided this thread because I tend to avoid things that give me death anxiety (ironically, I find the show 'Dead Like Me' really comforting). I'm in the same boat as whoever said they wanted to be mentally prepared for their death - I know lots of people say they want to die in old age, naturally, in their sleep, but I would rather know about it (I still like the old age part though, ha). I'm a bit of a hypochondriac too (damn you google), which obviously doesn't help things. I'm equally afraid of non-existence and the sadness my death might cause others, but not so much of how I die. Some things have helped me personally though, like buddhist philosophy, although before that I too constantly did "final hurrah" things, like create something nice for parents/have meaningful dinner with friends/try to do important work.

Back