• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

When is the prime time to start a second character?

The_Storyteller

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Okay, so my town is about a week old. I have the gardening shop and 9 villagers, and there's still so much to do in my town, but I also think I might be ready for a second villager. Part of me also thinks it's too soon, and I should just wait...

I've had lots of problems with creating second villagers and then basically never using them in favour of my Mayor. Since I already know how I want to do my Mayor's house, it shouldn't take as long as it normally does to get Mayor Willow to where I want her. Maybe I should wait till then?

But I also want to get started on laying paths, and I don't want Willow having to carry all those tiles around. I'm feeling daunted... When is the prime time to create a second resident?

I added my 2nd player a month after I started playing. Once the mayor caught all of her island bugs I sent the 2nd player out to catch all the bugs to earn bells for the town. I only have one pathway tile and some stepping stones so I didn't need the sewing machine unlocked.

Since you want to do large pathways it might be a good idea to add her now to get the sewing machine unlocked. I also found it handy to have the 2nd player catalog everything the mayor bought. I have 3 players with full catalogs and can order full sets before the mail arrives at 5pm.

I like to start them both from the start and then when my game is more advanced, I add the third. I alternate with each one, first completing a room in one, then a room in another. Though the mayor is the one I mostly play on. The second player I use a lot for lanscaping and paths.

As soon as I realised I would need all the extra storage room, I moved him right in next door. Now his mailbox is always moaning because it is so full because I so rarely play the character. It's also a little sad how Simon keeps calling him a new face because I met him when I had to chat to the villagers and he's the only one left from back then. Poor Simon.

I've had my town for 4 years now and I only have one player haha, I created another one and then deleted it son after because I was being too hasty I guess when I decided I wanted another. I haven't wanted another player since (aside from maybe wanting a second house to decorate ;)). I guess in my opinion you should create your player whenever you think you're ready to; if you're sure you want another then it seems like it would be okay to create one, otherwise I guess you could wait a bit? I think the best time to create a new villager is whenever you're ready or whenever you need them. :)

I made a second player when I started to run out of storage space on my main one.

Now that I've organised my closet, my second mayor is just for me to mess around with and dress up with odd combinations of clothing. :D

I'm not in a hurry to make another character and I only really play one main one anyways. Stitchmaker made a good point about the character's being used to hold all the catalogue! It's nice being able to order things you want in bulk.

A second/third character also helps to block off certain areas that you know you want a human character and don't want villagers in. So I'd say a good time to add them in is when you're at least 95% sure about the layout/flow of paths in your town. What I do is have a designated area for my 2nd character, Chan. I'm currently using her for plot resetting purposes because she's the only character I know I 100% want in my town. That way I can delete her at will and not have random dirt patches spreading from deleted characters. I am planning on making her permenant once I figure out the rest of my paths and where to put them so I can use up her pattern spaces! I guess if you definitely need a character to hold more patterns, you should make one ASAP.

I think the best time to create a new villager is whenever you're ready or whenever you need them. :)

I would agree with this. Personally I've usually waited around 2-4 weeks to create a second character, but I also had no specific need for them whatsoever (such as pathing, storage etc).

With my new town, I'm planning to introduce the second about 1-2 weeks after starting the game, because her story is that she's a scientist friend of the mayor, coming to investigate the sudden appearance of an animal populated town xD

Last edited:
I always make a new character the next day after inauguration as Mayor. :p
Usually it works out for me rather well, I'm thinking on getting all villagers I want first and then moving the character(s) in. But so far I do the former.

I started playing late May of 2014 and I actually didn't start a second character until about a year after I had to restart my town in July 2015. I really didn't have a reason to have two people, I mainly have him for aesthetic and for the extra design spaces.

Last edited:
I started my second character when my mayor's house was almost fully upgraded (about 4 rooms complete) so I wouldn't be overwhelmed. I like to work on my town and talk to villagers so the game passes by slowly for me. My best advice is start a second character if the game starts to be a little boring or you need more space for QR codes/inventory. Also if you could come up with a theme you would enjoy making for your town that that would be great! my theme is Harry Potter so my residents were Hermione, Tom (Riddle), and Luna (Lovegood). Building your town in a theme makes the game much more enjoyable and I started playing as the other characters much more :)

Back