SU Lapis Lazuli

SublimeDonut

Deep Sea Prisoner
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
I need to discuss Lapis Lazuli with somebody. I just need! But no one I know watches SU, so whatever.

I feel like Lapis is the most rejected character from Steven Universe. She didn't get as much development or attention as any other main character on the show: Steven, Pearl, Garnet, Amethyst, Peridot, Connie, Rose, Greg, all of those have been explored and given a new depth, yet Lapis is the same moody teenager as before. Sure, we got to see her backstory quite nicely but even so it left multiple questions unanswered.
And the most frustating to me is that Lapis is easily one of (if not the most) powerful gem yet and still she goes ignored. Remember Ocean Gem? She drained the whole ocean, stretched it all into a single tower to reach space AND managed to fight the Crystal Gems separately with water clones ALL WITH HER GEM CRACKED. Just so you remember Amethyst couldn't even keep her form stable when HER gem cracked. But wait! When Steven healed Lapis's gemstone she simply opened her water wings and flew back to the homeworld, which is in another galaxy! To even reach the nearest galaxy to Earth in time for being kidnapped, Lapis would have to travel THREE TIMES FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF LIGHT. So just keep in mind we're dealing with a gem with god-like control over water, wings strong and fast enough to fly her throught galaxies (faster than the speed of light) AND focus enough to create and manage 5 water clone warriors individually.
Even being the most powerful gem yet, Lapis simply is the most rejected character in my point of view. We still don't know her former occupation or even why she was sent to Earth in the first place. I feel like she would make a character much more interesting and lovable if we got to see more of her past, her traumas, her inner battles, her relationship with the Crystal Gems and with Peridot, her habilities, her power and her weaknesses. I can imagine a scene where Garnet conforts Lapis and exploans to her how Malachite was a misuse of fusion, another where Pearl and Lapis talk about the mirror, Pearl could explain that she knows what it's like to be treated like a tool since pearls are mere servants in the homeworld, another with Amethyst taking Lapis to hang out and teaching her to eat food and so on. Get me?
Don't get me wrong, I love Steven Universe, I love the Crewniverse and I don't blame them for making one mistake in the absolute masterpiece that is SU.
Anyways, these are my thoughts. I'd love to hear yours so please comment!
And yes I used some math and some ideas from The Roundtable's and The Midnight Geeks' videos on Lapis.

Also, thank you if you have read my essay on Lapis Lazuli. But if you don't want to, and I don't blame you:

TOO LONG, DIDN'T READ
I think Lapis Lazuli is a rejected character in Steven Universe, having the least development of all main peeps despite her incredible habilities. Much more could have been made of her in my opinion.

Last edited:
Agreed. I think Lapis's potential is being wasted in the barn. I feel that she's possibly the most powerful gem we've seen on the show, and she has so much potential for more dramatic arcs like her first one.
Don't get me wrong: I don't hate what she's up to in the barn or hate comedic arcs over dramatic ones. But I do feel that Lapis has a lot more potential as a character than what's been show in the show so far.

I do have faith that more about her backstory and will eventually be revealed and she will come into the action more, however I do think more could be done with this Lapis than what she's getting.

I was talking about this with a friend a few months earlier! I agree that the show should expand on her character more, yes she's powerful and she's obviously still recovering from Malachite due to her moodiness and dead-pan expressions, but there's still so much more to Lapis that needs to be answered. I'd also love to see her interact with the Crystal Gems, like actual conversations and maybe tagging along for a mission or something.

I have no idea if anything about Lapis will be addressed during the Reunited event coming up, but since it's about Homeworld, I'm crossing my fingers that perhaps it'll contain some new information about Lapis.

Well then, I guess you take a look at the season 5 trailer shown at SDCC because it looks like Lapis has some major development coming.

I need to discuss Lapis Lazuli with somebody. I just need! But no one I know watches SU, so whatever.

I feel like Lapis is the most rejected character from Steven Universe. She didn't get as much development or attention as any other main character on the show: Steven, Pearl, Garnet, Amethyst, Peridot, Connie, Rose, Greg, all of those have been explored and given a new depth, yet Lapis is the same moody teenager as before. Sure, we got to see her backstory quite nicely but even so it left multiple questions unanswered.
And the most frustating to me is that Lapis is easily one of (if not the most) powerful gem yet and still she goes ignored. Remember Ocean Gem? She drained the whole ocean, stretched it all into a single tower to reach space AND managed to fight the Crystal Gems separately with water clones ALL WITH HER GEM CRACKED. Just so you remember Amethyst couldn't even keep her form stable when HER gem cracked. But wait! When Steven healed Lapis's gemstone she simply opened her water wings and flew back to the homeworld, which is in another galaxy! To even reach the nearest galaxy to Earth in time for being kidnapped, Lapis would have to travel THREE TIMES FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF LIGHT. So just keep in mind we're dealing with a gem with god-like control over water, wings strong and fast enough to fly her throught galaxies (faster than the speed of light) AND focus enough to create and manage 5 water clone warriors individually.
Even being the most powerful gem yet, Lapis simply is the most rejected character in my point of view. We still don't know her former occupation or even why she was sent to Earth in the first place. I feel like she would make a character much more interesting and lovable if we got to see more of her past, her traumas, her inner battles, her relationship with the Crystal Gems and with Peridot, her habilities, her power and her weaknesses. I can imagine a scene where Garnet conforts Lapis and exploans to her how Malachite was a misuse of fusion, another where Pearl and Lapis talk about the mirror, Pearl could explain that she knows what it's like to be treated like a tool since pearls are mere servants in the homeworld, another with Amethyst taking Lapis to hang out and teaching her to eat food and so on. Get me?
Don't get me wrong, I love Steven Universe, I love the Crewniverse and I don't blame them for making one mistake in the absolute masterpiece that is SU.
Anyways, these are my thoughts. I'd love to hear yours so please comment!
And yes I used some math and some ideas from The Roundtable's and The Midnight Geeks' videos on Lapis.

Also, thank you if you have read my essay on Lapis Lazuli. But if you don't want to, and I don't blame you:

TOO LONG, DIDN'T READ
I think Lapis Lazuli is a rejected character in Steven Universe, having the least development of all main peeps despite her incredible habilities. Much more could have been made of her in my opinion.

I remember Yellow Diamond saying that 'a Lapis terraforms', and with how Homeworld works I think the Lapis we know did the same. So that explains what she did before. But maybe she was also a spy, and got misidentified as a Crystal Gem during the war due to 'getting too close' to the group.

I do agree she needs more time to develop, and I want to know what she's hiding when she says 'don't you care who I used to be?!'. Maybe it's just her 'looking at the past too much', but it urks me that she said it in that way. I hope that with the new season coming up, they'll reveal more...maybe they're waiting for the Diamonds to actually do something, or we see another Lapis and how they act compared to the one we know. Heck, they're even gonna add another Peridot so it's not out of the question that we'll see other similar Homeworld Gems in the future.

Back