• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Path width

HappyTails

On Indefinite Hiatus
Orange 🍊
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
I just narrowed my paths in my town from 3 tiles in width to 2 and boy what a difference that made. I do admit, people did say that if your path is more narrow, it does make your town look bigger. They weren't kidding.

And in unrelated news, I found one of my villagers sitting on a tree stump. Never seen them do that before.

Last edited:
My path is generally 2 times wide too. I have a lot of other issues to clean up in my town though. I'm very neglectful haha

But that's the beauty of this game, there is always something to do. Running a town takes a lot of work.

I've always had a 2 wide path, but in my second town, I'm trying out a 4 wide path with a 2 wide wood plank walkway and a 1 wide river on either side of it. I'm liking how it looks so far, and my town still feels the same size.

I had the same dilemma in my first town; I found this super great path and laid it all over my town two tiles wide, then when it was finished I decided I might like the three tiles bigger, so I redid a section, took pics and asked on the forums; basically everyone agreed the two tile path looked better, which I guess is good for me since I really didn't want to have to relay it all. Three tile paths can look okay in some areas of town, such as around villager houses, but I've generally found that two tile paths look better.

I usually do 2 or 1. 1 makes it harder to run and is more restricting but I think it looks kinda nicer when using flower paths—but I'm sticking to 2 for patterns.

Most of my towns usually have 2 pathways with a few 1 tile for small areas.
I like to use the pathways to control the flowers. Villagers can't plant flowers

In one town I do have a 3 pathway that starts at the train station and leads down to the river. It's a straight pathway and the river is lower in that town.
The rest of the town has 2 and some 1 pathway tiles.

My path switches between 2 and 3 tiles, depending on the fit. Smaller paths seem to work a lot better, only if their houses were 2x2...

The are some areas in my town that are still 3 tiles, like the path leading from my train station to the tree is 3 tiles wide since the town tree is 3 tiles wide. it would look weird with two.

I tend to use 2-tile paths for my main roads, but I sometimes do 1-tile paths when I'm moving through works projects (Flower Arch) and other attractions. I only use one very short 3-tile path - but that is just as a Plaza Tree entry way.

Which size is better? I cannot say... It all depends on the needs and theme of the town they're used in.

I very recently got rid of all the pattern paths in my village. What I have now is a "path" that is two squares wide and defined by flowers on each side. It is just natural grass/dirt in the middle. I think that this might be what the poster above meant by flower path as well.

I think 3-width paths only look good if you have it placed in front of a building like town hall, cafe, or the entrance way to the train station, and with features in between like QR flower pots or waterways, maybe even lamp posts lining the sides. Just 3-squares of the same bricks can get kind of boring and takes up a lot of space.

My paths are usually 2-1 width.

(Also, it is the cutest thing to find your villagers sitting on the benches and such around town. It's even cuter when they're asleep!!)

I usually make my paths with a 2 tile width and I definitely agree it makes the town appear to be bigger as opposed to when I've have 3 tile width paths!

I originally had only 1 wide paths due to houses being an odd number size (3/5 wide). But I had a tendency to run onto my grass because of it. After switching to 2 wide, it looks so much better, except being slightly off when I have to go vertically up to a house, so when I can, I make my paths go horizontally past a house.

I typically keep my paths two blocks wide. Some places need me to make it 3 wide, such as the police station, or the path to my cafe.

I prefer 2 tiles wide, with the occasional 3 or 1 tile path when it's needed. I have a hard time making sure everything is perfect, I hate it when my paths can't be a consistent width!

my path switches between 2, 3 and 4 wide - I like having the variety, it suits my town better

Back