• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Horror Movie Recommendations

smallpeach

peach kink 🍑
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Pink Candy
Jack
Green Candy
Yellow Candy
Horror has to be my favorite genre and I'm sure there's a lot of you guys out there who love it as much as I do, so lets compile a thread of some!

My favorites have to be You're Next, Vile, Teeth (kinda horror kinda not but loved it), and Come Back To Me

I'd love to hear about your favorites!

Teeth is great, it's always more of a horror movie for guys. ;] I thought of it as a dark comedy.

Out of recent horror movies I really enjoyed It Follows and Get Out. I love all kinds of horror movies though, jump scares are always fun. I'm a big fan of ghost movies as well, it's fun to be scared of something invisible... I don't know why. I am in love with Crimson Peak, it's just so beautiful and Guillermo's take on ghosts was just so great. Alien movies really mess me up, like the scariest movie in my opinion, like that actually scared me and stuck with me a long time after was The Fourth Kind, like it just messes me up man. Couldn't sleep until the sun came up after I saw it.

I love horror movies! None of them really scare me though since a lot tend to be cliche slasher movies. Even though they're older, I really liked The Shining, Psycho, and Sixth Sense. Newer ones I like are The Descent, Cabin in the Woods, Get Out, The Conjuring. I also find Asian horror movies to be really really good as well. A Tale of Two Sisters, Ju-on, Grudge, Train to Busan, I Saw the Devil, The Wailing, Whispering Corridor series.

Jacob's Ladder is a good one! I'm not sure you'd call it horror per se, maybe thriller? I'll put it this way, it was one of the inspirations behind the Silent Hill games. It's pretty messed up. The Blair Witch Project is another good one: it's shot in the style of a documentary but that's what makes it so effective.

Other movies:

Hellraiser 1 + 2
Alien
The original Japanese version of the Pulse
The original Japanese version of the Grudge
..and that's all I got! There was one more though I forgot it.

Last edited:
A Snake of June, Psycho (bc classic and it's good), Cannibal Holocaust (contains a lot of blood and gore so it's creepy that way)...

Also Les yeux sans visage (can't remember the English title now but yeah) is real good.

And Le sang des b?tes (documentary, but pretty horrendous as well)

Jacob's Ladder is a good one! I'm not sure you're call it horror per se, maybe thriller? I'll put it this way, it was one of the inspirations behind the Silent Hill movies. It's pretty messed up. The Blair Witch Project is another good one: it's shot in the style of a documentary but that's what makes it so effective.

Other movies:

Hellraiser 1 + 2
Alien
The original Japanese version of the Pulse
The original Japanese version of the Grudge
..and that's all I got! There was one more though I forgot it.

I second this. Jacob's Ladder is so good.. I had nightmares after that one. And what Sheila said, Cannibal Holocaust is probably the hardest horror movie to get through for me.. it was just sooo gory. This one isn't really a horror but it's really disturbing and intense (and beautifully filmed lol) 120 days of Sodom. Ohhh I really loved the Descent. I am super claustrophobic and I have a fear of caves so this movie really ****ed me up lol.

I haven't seen a lot of recent horror movies that I liked but I enjoy a lot of oldies. Some great body horror: Hellraiser, The Fly, The Thing, and all of the Lynch films. My favourite movie of all time is Suspiria.. it's just so beautifully filmed and the soundtrack is haunting (Goblin <3). I am not looking forward to the remake because I don't think it could get any better ToT

I second this. Jacob's Ladder is so good.. I had nightmares after that one. And what Sheila said, Cannibal Holocaust is probably the hardest horror movie to get through for me.. it was just sooo gory. This one isn't really a horror but it's really disturbing and intense (and beautifully filmed lol) 120 days of Sodom. Ohhh I really loved the Descent. I am super claustrophobic and I have a fear of caves so this movie really ****ed me up lol.

I haven't seen a lot of recent horror movies that I liked but I enjoy a lot of oldies. Some great body horror: Hellraiser, The Fly, The Thing, and all of the Lynch films. My favourite movie of all time is Suspiria.. it's just so beautifully filmed and the soundtrack is haunting (Goblin <3). I am not looking forward to the remake because I don't think it could get any better ToT

I also love Descent, as someone with claustrophobia too it was like, too real. Also reminds me that As Above, So Below was pretty good too.

Psycho -- It isn't as scary as it would've been back in the 60's, but it's still a decent thriller if you don't know the ending.
A Nightmare on Elm Street -- Just something about it scares me. It makes me scared to sleep in case it happens to me, too. lol.
Cannibal Holocaust -- It's more shock value than anything else, but it still gives off a really creepy vibe.
Most Asian horror movies -- I can't think of any examples, but Jesus Christ they scare me for some reason.

The Crow's Nest if you're looking for something extra creepy. Or if you like really bad, cheesy horror movies, there's always Zombeavers xD

Cool to see Cannibal Holocaust is known amongst people here.. I really enjoyed it actually, because a lot of the film is a study over the human psyche, even if it's a fake meta-documentary gore thing.

The Grudge Series, The Houses October Built, The Crazies, Abominable (so bad it's good), and maybe The Unborn? I've seen so many horror movies it's hard to recall all of my favorites.

The Sixth sense, the conjuring, the shining, Invasion of the body snatchers(50's version and 70's version)Signs, Dracula(1931)Dead of Night(1941)The Haunting(1963)The Uninvited(1944)Psycho, and Rear Window.

...phew

Child's Play is one of my favourite horror series' of all time. The fourth and fifth film branches into comedy a little, but they're overall good, and the sixth one is on its way this Halloween!

Last edited:
The Sixth sense, the conjuring, the shining, Invasion of the body snatchers(50's version and 70's version)Signs, Dracula(1931)Dead of Night(1941)The Haunting(1963)The Uninvited(1944)Psycho, and Rear Window.

...phew

Interesting that you would consider Rear Window a horror movie. I didn't think it was geared towards that, but I suppose the ending kind of is.

Interesting that you would consider Rear Window a horror movie. I didn't think it was geared towards that, but I suppose the ending kind of is.

Well a lot of Hitchcock movies have some horror element to them, be it physical obvious or not.

rear window is aight i suppose, not his best tho

Last edited:

I suppose it's not necessarily horror. It's more a psychological thriller for sure. But there is definitely a lot of suspense and some good scares to it so I included it in my list.

Back