Giving up time travelling

The_Storyteller

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Hi all,

So I guess this is directed at former time travellers but I suppose anyone can have an opinion! I recently restarted my town, and since I'm about to start uni and won't have as much time on my hands to sit down and play Animal Crossing, I've decided to stop time travelling. The first few days were really tough because I wanted to get started in my town right away, and I couldn't even start working on the development permit until the day after. Suddenly I can only work on one PWP a day and upgrading my house takes longer...

But my museum is looking great, even after just a week, my savings are healthy, (I even scored a coelacanth yesterday because it was raining), I've spent heaps of time enjoying the island, both tours and catching bugs and fish, and just basically being really able to enjoy my town more.

In a lot of ways I'm really impatient and stopping time travelling was really difficult, but I'm really enjoying being in my town and getting the most out of it. If you were a former time traveller, what was he hardest part for you? Are you enjoying your town more or less? If you're a time traveller now, do you ever think about giving it up? If you've never time travelled, do you ever think about it?

What are your thoughts?

I was always leery on time travel, it made me feel like I was cheating, somehow. Sometimes I would do it anyway, like for Gracie since she comes so rarely and I needed her store, but other than that I tend to do fine without it. I haven't actually needed to do it in a long time, except for when I started my new town and realized that somehow my DS had been two whole years behind--that was interesting... xD

Hi, I'm not really a time traveler (excpt in my new town as I'm just using it for the streetpass items I can get) but its nice to take time with the town, and its not really a race, like for instance, I forgot about catching the last fish i need and in a way its annoying have to wait, but thres never been a rush. So I'm hoping you're enjoying your town a little more XD And I love villagers too much to time travel in my town that I'm working on right now (though I haven heard it helps with resotring grass I can't do it because of the villagers.

The only times I've really time traveled were the couple of times I stopped playing for long periods and tried to minimize damage to my town. I know I shouldn't, but I'd hate to lose any of my villagers.

I've played since the GameCube days, and I did a little more TTing back then, especially on holidays. Now I really enjoy the slower pace. It sounds like you are, too. Have fun!

I don't time travel as much as I used to, unless it's for the sake of getting items earlier and trading on the boards. There is a charm to not time traveling~ :D
However, I don't think I will be able to give it up, as I am veryy impatient. :p

Hum... in my previous town I tt a lot... but I kinda feel like I was cheating... (I don't THINK that is cheating), after too many restarts I finally pick up a map and start a city which I swear to myself that I would't tt (not even plot-resetting)! It's slowly but I kinda feel more connected to my villagers this way. Is my personal opinion btw.

I'm a current time traveler! Though I've only started this town a couple of weeks ago and I'll slow down and perhaps stop soon enough. I do it mostly for a few villagers, to get the shops unlocked, and to get a *decent* number of furniture.

It's mostly an anxiety/perfectionist thing for me (ACNL: potential therapy topic?), but it seems you don't have that problem at all! I didn't time travel initially. I think the game is a lot more satisfying and better at creating anticipation if played that way.

It's mostly an anxiety/perfectionist thing for me (ACNL: potential therapy topic?)

Hahaha!~ That would be an awesome idea. What's going on with this game with all the anxiety that brings? I really have to make a huge self-therapy-dialogue with myself to let go the perfeccionism and just enjoy the game as it is.

i've had my town since oct 2015, i've never timed traveled because i'm scared to death of losing any of my villagers or my flowers dying etc. i've been thinking about it more recently, as i'm getting more frustrated trying to landscape and only being able to purchase one cedar sapling/build one pwp every other day. i think i might try it sometime, but it definitely does give me the willies, like i'm doing something wrong if that makes sense lol. i'm not sure that the pros outweigh the cons but i'm open minded

- - - Post Merge - - -

also i might end up caving and time travel, just so i can complete all my furniture sets through the shop. i still dont know though!

I used to TT. 2 towns that i did TT in were soon deleted so I thought I wouldnt get as bored of my town now if I stopped skipping days. I'll probably only do that if i skipped a villager's birthday or big event but otherwise no exceptions. I don't plot reset either.

I'm a current time traveler, but I am still a bit unsure of it. I rarely travel more than a week in either direction, and I usually bring myself back to my current time asap. Even when I do travel, I usually don't go through more than two in-game days within one real-life day, so I don't think I'm losing much of the experience :)

I am a time traveller but slowly weening off it lol. I only time travel when I go through intense phases of playing ACNL and I usually just do it to speed up landscaping and the growth of trees because landscaping is my favourite part of the game. Now that I have 1 main town that is complete, I started a new town that I rarely time travel in and playing somewhat lol naturally. Now a days if I do time travel, I'll play like 3 days in a row, then I wont touch my ACNL games until 3 days IRL passes. During those other days I'll play other games XD I either play like that or just play one day at a time, but for the most part I'm always on the correct days/season. It's hard for me to quit time travelling completely because my play times vary so much that end up changing the time to suit my work hours.

Honestly I'm a bit of a TT addict lmao. Like I wanna just play normally and let time pass naturally but Its so hard when you have a project you wanna finish so you can do the next one or you're expecting a new villager and you just want to have him in your town already. I do feel like I'm cheating and I try to stop but there's always that 'just one more time' argument in my head that always wins. I'll probably end up deleting my town and starting over to play normally lol

I used to time travel like you did but on City Folk. I stopped because my friend did—she said she just waits real life days to complete things like expanding her home. Now I keep my towns for much longer (I'd usually only have them for 3 months before starting a new one but now I keep each town for 2–3 years at a time).

It's annoying sometimes when you have to wait whole days before something new happens but in the long run it's really enjoyable for me.

Last edited:
I've been a time traveler since my days playing Wild World and I've never had a problem with it, it just doesn't seem like cheating to me in any way and it's very helpful when trying to breed a lot of hybrids or something. I also time travel backwards when I don't play for a while because I don't want to lose villagers just because I was busy, then I can slowly TT forward until I catch up to the real time and I try to slow down after that. I don't plan on stopping because it helps me enjoy the game more, I'm too impatient to play on real time. I applaud people who have that kind of patience though! lol

I used to time travel A LOT. I don't anymore (well I won't when I'm done my dirt paths that doesn't count). Hardest part... Learning to play at a slower pace. I enjoy my town more now/when I don't. The game feels more relaxed that way. Time traveling isn't cheating or anything it's just a different way to play.

Back