• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Disorder town

Laov

Bells
I just got an idea for a town, I'm not sure I can pull this out and I'd like to have some advices or opinions if anyone has any!
I thought of making some sort of "disorder" town, where there would be several characters, one representing some sort of depression, very dark and sad area and house, another would be the complete opposite and almost too bright and colorful, another that would look kind of regular but a bit messy. All would have the same name to show it's all in one's mind.

Any thoughts? :)

it's a very unique idea, and if you pulled it off well that would be super cool! just one thing to keep in mind: ofc people actually suffer from these disorders so just make sure you're not romanticizing them or trivializing them in any way- and i definitely don't believe you weren't planning to tread very carefully with these topics (because it seems you've put a lot of serious thought into it), but yee just remember! :)

i like the idea of everyone's name being the same- it definitely puts everything into perspective. one idea i have is to maybe shift the focus just a teeeeny bit and have your town also address recovery? it might be tough to handle, but i think you're on to something!

if you end up making the town, be sure to share it w us here on the forum! :blush;

Don't worry, that's something I would be careful about. The point is not to make it look good or anything, and I'm not sure I could share the town with anyone as it could maybe be triggering if it's not too badly done - but I'll see, I'm not there yet!

For the second part I didnt really get it, what do you mean by address recovery? (sorryyy my English isn't so good so sometimes I don't understand everything ><)
Also I'm still thinking of the town name (even though 'disorder' works I think), and the way I'll tell the story. If I put houses in a certain order or not, if there's another character I can create other than the 3 I already thought of... Still thinking it!

Thanks for answering!

Since 5cm/s hasn't answered your question yet, maybe I can help. I believe what was meant by "address recovery" was to address (pay attention to, or include) the issue of recovery, of healing, from the disorders you are including in the town. Like have a "recovery center," a healing place or perhaps a counseling center. Hope that helps.

By the way, I like your idea, and it sounds like you would do it carefully.

I do have one thought: If you name the town disorder, it might put a negative slant on it. You already know that the three aspects of the mind that you are considering representing in the three characters are all one character. Perhaps your town name could reflect that also. For example, (and I'm adding this because you commented about your understanding of English) one character is depicting disorder, the almost too bright and colorful one is the opposite, and the third one is somewhere in between. I'm suggesting that the town name should be somewhere in between.

How about the name "Poise"? It's a beautiful word that means: "composure and dignity of manner." Some more meanings of the word poise are: "self-control"; "calm"; "self-assurance"; "balance".

The more I think about this, the more I think it would be quite a challenge. I wish you well if you undertake this effort.

This sounds like a great idea! You could have the worst part of the spectrum towards the top of the town, and have it progress to happiness around the bottom, like the idea of "it always gets better at the end". (The reason I say have the most depressed part at the top is because of cedar trees, but I guess it would all depend on where your plaza is)
Good luck with making this town, I would love to see it fleshed out!

Thank you both for taking the time to answer! And also to explain, I wasn't sure address could also mean that so thanks for also improving a little bit my English!

Maybe the "main" one, the one in between and who actually lives the closest to actual reality could have his house like he's in some sort of hospital, or at least have some medicine and stuff like that. I haven't thought of it!

I like the idea for the name, I'm not settle with it yet (it sounds so weird to me haha) but the meaning is great for this

Didn't thought of the cedar trees but I agree, it would look better for the "sad part" as the rest could have fruits and more colors.

Again, I am really grateful for the help, there are a lot of details I didn't think of yet. I can't wait to start working on this town but I want to be sure of what I'm doing first, and your posts help me to do that, I appreciate. ♥

Edit : for the name, also thought of Psyche and Spiritus. It can still be Poise, I'm still really unsure about this

Last edited:
I like psyche...related words to psyche are vitality, essence, insight, judgment, sagacity.

Thank you! Some words I had never heard before, it's nice

I am not sure if it would be better to put some sort of order for the house placement (like having one way only to "read" this story) or if I just put them without thinking too much.
If I go with one way to visit and put happy>neutral/real>sad it would look like depression only. The other way around would be someone that got helped.
But I feel like it isn't exactly what I wanted in the beginning. But I am not sure how I can translate the idea in game, for example if the real should be closer to the main place so it would be the first one to be seen... Maybe I'm just overthinking that.

Since it sounds to me as if you are wanting to stay with your original ideas, an alternative to the suggestion about possibly making the whole town progress from kind of dark to light, so to speak, is this idea. You could have most of the town neutral/real, including around that characters home. For the other two homes you could create the atmosphere of the other two characters in a certain amount of space around their house, and inside, of course.

I still like the idea of recovery, but as I think more about the three different aspects of one person, I'm not thinking healing/recovery as much. I myself have times when I am "down" or maybe slightly depressed. I also have times when I feel kind of "giddy" or very upbeat. I'm of the opinion that a lot of people are changeable this way. Most of the time I am steady and, I hope, poised, calm, balanced. That's more your original idea, right?

You said in your first post: "I thought of making some sort of "disorder" town, where there would be several characters, one representing some sort of depression, very dark and sad area and house, another would be the complete opposite and almost too bright and colorful, another that would look kind of regular but a bit messy. All would have the same name to show it's all in one's mind."

Your English is wonderful, by the way. I don't even have a second language. I admire those who do.

It's exactly that. I feel I'm going to stay with my original thought, I'll see how it turns out (even if it's doable, which I am not sure of yet haha)

I'd still be happy to have other ideas on how to do it right but I think I'll start working on it soon :)

Thank you very much for the answers and support, and also for what you said about my English. I know I still have a lot to learn and I do it thanks to people like you! If you ever want to learn French, you know where to find me haha!

It's exactly that. I feel I'm going to stay with my original thought, I'll see how it turns out (even if it's doable, which I am not sure of yet haha)

I'd still be happy to have other ideas on how to do it right but I think I'll start working on it soon :)

Thank you very much for the answers and support, and also for what you said about my English. I know I still have a lot to learn and I do it thanks to people like you! If you ever want to learn French, you know where to find me haha!

As far as learning French, thank you, it's a lovely language to hear but I doubt if I could ever learn it. Had a hard enough time trying to learn Spanish and it seems a little bit more like English. It's all those silent letters in French! And the same can be said about English, right?

You're welcome for the ideas! That was an interesting brainstorming session (interchange of ideas) we had. I wish you well with the town and hope to see screenshots even if you don't make it a dream town. ☺️

Hi! I just wanted to offer a little bit of insight I've seen in other story towns to help you out (ie. a town that tells a story)

If you want the town to be explored in a particular way, from side of town to the other or from one character to the next, use PWPs and landscaping to guide guests through your town. Only have one bridge or use signs so they know where to go.

If it's just going to be a private town then you don't have to worry since this may make your town less "playable" especially if you only have one bridge! This sounds like a great idea though and I really like where you're going with it! If you don't release a dream address, I'd love to see pics of your town. Good luck!

Thank you very much for the advices!

I take good notes of it, I hope it will look good in the end ^^

I think this is a very unique and original idea! It'll grab lots of interest & attention. And yeah, you should be careful when making it, so it doesn't offend anyone. I'm pretty sure naming the town "disorder" is quite offensive.

I don't think you should make the disorder idea too big in the town, maybe give it a nice name and some landscape, and you can still do the disorder idea along with it :)

Back