• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Never fails to amaze me how people can make their towns look bigger

HappyTails

On Indefinite Hiatus
Orange 🍊
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
just by putting down some trees.
Right now, I'm just visiting some dream towns to get some ideas for Alubarna and the town I'm visiting right now looks so big because they have a lot of trees and flowers everywhere, although I know their town is the same size as mine. Is it like depth perception or something?

My town is overrun with flowers and buried gyroids. Since I'm bored of the game and infinitely rich I'm doing some landscaping haha. I hope I can achieve this!

My town always feels so small. But that's probably because my paths are very restricting. I want to have an area though with lots of trees for a more open bigger space feel. :)

Is it like depth perception or something?

That, and I think many other factors. Actual map layout, multiple distinct areas etc.
I've noticed some contradictions as well: many trees can visually expand or shrink towns, just like ponds. I'm always mixed on heavily pathed towns, because they easily look crowded in my opinion. I like a blend of open spaces and tighter packed clusters best.

I always make my paths 3 tiles wide although it actually really depends on where in my town I'm putting paths though. Like in front of houses, the paths are usually 2 tiles wide and everywhere else it's three tiles.

If houses could be placed one square apart it would certainly help the towns feel larger!

i think it's also because you're used to your town, and so visiting another is just so new to you, and there's so much explore that it feels bigger :)

buy placing small paths, and many trees and bushes, I feel like the town looks bigger. You get the whole big forest feel.

Yeah I think it just has do with the layout of the town overall as well as the placement of various things such as trees, buildings, PWPs, etc. I know what you mean though, it seems like sometimes towns are gigantic compared to my own and it makes me reconsider how I have things arranged in my own town haha :)

Theory: Open to Discussion:

A town that has the Town Tree, Town Hall, Re-Tail, Cafe and villager houses etc. all spread out - spread out all over the map makes a town seem much larger than when all these features are clustered together.

True?

I just visited someone earlier who had lost their original game and had just started a new copy and their town in comparison to mine was night and day. (Not literally - both night.) I've got flowers covering nearly every square, furniture all over the beach - it's been a mess for far too long. Their town was plain grass all around and it looks so vast. Felt like it took ages to walk across it when I looked around.

Theory: Open to Discussion:

A town that has the Town Tree, Town Hall, Re-Tail, Cafe and villager houses etc. all spread out - spread out all over the map makes a town seem much larger than when all these features are clustered together.

True?

The town I visited had their villager houses spread out all over the map and it made the town seem huge. So for me, true. It actually made me reconsider my villager placements

Back