• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

what genre of games do you like?

what genre you like best?

• Total voters
Simulation games are where it's at for me! I'm not smart enough for puzzle games, not quick enough for most FPS games, RPGs (particularly MMORPGs) tend to get too complicated for me (though there are some exceptions), horror games sound fun in theory but I haven't tried enough of them, and visual novel/movie interaction games are alright but not my main thing.

I love games like AC, Stardew Valley, The Sims, Rollercoaster Tycoon.. fun stuff

I love puzzle/riddle-solving games. Bonus points if the game is in a point-and-click style (gotta reduce that motion sickness somehow).

I really like Rpgs! I love getting immersed in a story. But I also like simulation and a few Fps games. Puzzle games too but only sometimes.

I definitely like RPGs the best. That being said, I also enjoy horror games and visual novels.

Role-playing games are the best. Nothing says immersion like rpgs which is why I like them. I do like puzzle games, but I like them even more if they are also rpgs.

There are definitely some genres missing. Out of these though, I picked RPG.

I'm into RPGs, especially JRPGs. Stuff like the Mother/EarthBound series, Persona, Pokémon, and Shin Megami Tensei, are some personal favorites. I finally got into Dragon Quest with 11 and want to get into some of the older games. I've been watching someone play Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth recently and it has gotten me wanting to get into the Yakuza/Like A Dragon series from the start because I like what I see.

I have a particular fondness of turn-based tactical RPGs like the Fire Emblem series and the first couple Shining Force games. Triangle Strategy, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc., give them to me.

Fighting games and side-scrolling beat-'em-ups were two of my introductions into the world of video games, so I have a fondness for them. I'll play most fighting games, stuff like King of Fighters, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter, Tekken, etc. Super Smash Bros. games aren't traditional fighters, but I'll mention them here too as they're pretty enjoyable. As for beat-'em-ups, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 2 and Golden Axe were my introduction, I played Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game back when it first came out, and I've also played stuff like Streets of Rage 4 and River City Girls in more recent years.

Another early introduction to video games for me were puzzle games thanks to the video game Columns. I enjoyed the Animal Crossing Puzzle League minigame in Animal Crossing New Leaf and it opened my eyes to the Panel de Pon style. Tetris 99 being (partially) free on the Switch got me into Tetris and I find it to be a nice, quick time-killer. I've also played Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine a few times via Sega Genesis Classics and that's fun too.

I've also discovered a fondness in recent years for pinball video games, though I haven't really dived too terribly deep into those yet. My older sibling had a cool game called Dragon's Fury for our Sega Genesis and I always thought it looked cool, getting into it myself years later. I found out that it was actually a port of a game called Devil's Crush and that the people who made that also made a few other neat pinball games called Alien Crush and Jaki Crush. A few years ago I learned of a game in the same vein called Demon's Tilt, though I only just recently got it on sale since the normal asking price was a bit more than I wanted to spend on this sort of game. I might have to look around for more neat pinball games.

I'm not too into simulation games, but I'm quite fond of Animal Crossing and I like Stardew Valley.

Also, shoutout to visual novels since I've seen them mentioned here. I've only played a few, but they're fun.

I've loved platformers since I was little. I especially like 3D platformers. I think the first platformer I ever played a bit of was Super Mario Bros. on the NES. Some of my favorite platformers are Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury, Yoshi's Woolly World, and Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Aside from that, I did some Googling to check the genres of some other games I love, and these are a few that had multiples games I enjoy:
Action-adventure: Luigi's Mansion 1 and 3 and most of the platformers I mentioned above are classified as action-adventure
Simulation/Role-playing/Farm Life Sim/Social Simulation/Life Simulation: Stardew Valley and Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life, Animal Crossing (all games), and Disney Dreamlight Valley
Also, fitting in with the Role-playing genre, I played a few MMORPGs when I was younger, namely RuneScape and Toontown. There was a period of my life where I was obsessed with RuneScape

I love sports games. It's the only reason I have an XBOX Series X. I'm looking forward to a game potentially releasing in the near future and I would need this system to play it. It's impossible for Nintendo to make decent sports games, so I use an alternative.

I like RPGs, I like some FPS, and puzzles are fun. Also silly games like Lethal Company and Escape the Backrooms intrigue me. I like a variety of games.

Cozy slow life sim! So like AC, Stardew Valley, Palia - basically low stakes games with no combat mode where you can't really mess up.. *control issues*

Back