• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

what genre of games do you like?

what genre you like best?

• Total voters
I wish I could pick multiple, because I like all kinds of games! I think my top three are simulations, VNs, and horror, though I'm okay with anything other than FPS (I'm a terrible shot)!

When you say movie interaction games, do you mean things like the The Wolf Among Us or Life is Strange where it's mostly cutscenes with QTEs? Those are really fun, but there's so much pressure for the story to be good.

Back when I was young fps's, couple years ago rpgs, nowadays its visual novels and some moba/fps/rpg's/survival games

I was stuck between RPG, horror and simulation but I had to go with simulation: it's just more fun to play someone else's life!

It's funny because I didn't even mean to like RPGs, after a while I just noticed most of the games I've played and thoroughly enjoyed are RPGs.

How can you not include platformers on a forum dedicated to a Nintendo game?

I AM OUTRAGE

Out of that list, probably horror.

rpg generally, srpg can be found unless it's too edgy story to everything.

silly shooters like tf2 and garden warfare 2 are fun too, i don't like serious war games though :V

visual novel/adventure can be cool but i hate those dating sims with 56 different endings, wtf

RPGs are my favourite but I do enjoy movie interaction games like Until Dawn (if that's the genre I think it is). I prefer games with replay value though. I also like platformers but i haven't played a good one in a while... I like the Kirby games

I love RPG's haha... I haven't played too many, and some can be really gross (like 99% of those hecking otome games) but there are also a fair amount of really good ones, I feel. I would really like to find more to fall in love with, personally haha.

My favourite games are simulation games like Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon. C: I also like some platformers like Kirby and Sonic.
Visual novels are fun too of course, like Kanon and Little Busters.

Anything customizable! If you give me the chance to change my character's haircut, I'll be there for it.

I'm very open when it comes to games, except for horror and gore stuff.

My absolutely favorite genre is OpenWorld. I still remember as a kid my dream game was just being able to drive around a city and interact with it, buy clothes and dress your character and whatever (very weird I know...), and then playing GTA San Andreas for the first time really blew my mind. But in the end I just love the freedom of it, being able to jump and walk around everywhere.

Second to it I would probably put interactive movies, Telltale-ish as well as FMVs. I love all of those recent Telltale games, I just bought the majority of them and I love to be drawn into the story by being able to make choices. I know with Telltale games the story is always extremely linear and they haven't managed to put actual Point'n'Click puzzles in their games, but I just love it. And all those games have those weird artstyles so that everyone can play it and I really appreciate it.

I also love RPG, Simulation, Racing, Puzzle and Strategy and everything like it, but when it comes to those genres it really depends from game to game. I can enjoy all of those, but if the game is bad the genre will not save it for me in those games. I suppose a bad story will ruin story games too, but I'm very open to OpenWorld games.

I don't know. I always find it hard to look for games based on genre, especially on Steam. Everybody just spams games with slightly fitting tags which is fine but kinda bugs me because it's hard to find the perfect mix of certain genres for yourself.

- - - Post Merge - - -

What's the difference between movie interaction and visual novels?

Movie vs Book. Visual novels usually let you just go through pages of dialogue with a neat grapic behind it with little to no cutscene whereas movie interaction are mostly movies where your only interaction is your choice. FMV are 100% movies and games like the Telltale ones usually have little sections where your character can walk around and look at things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not picky, I'm actually all over the place. I love games like animal crossing, but then I love games like Gears of War. I think as long as it's fun to play, I'm into it. RPG, FPS, puzzle, MOBA, etc.

I would have say platformers but a lot of them are just overly zealous that takes away the fun from it so yeah. They used to be cool and I still like Kirby though.

Definitely an rpg fan, although I suck at the more complex ones lol
Out of the poll though horror games are my second favorite (love the horror genre in general). Though to tell the truth I often end up just watching LP's cuz I'm more interested in the stories than the actual gameplay, which is usually pretty mediocre especially in those indie horrors.

Back