I didn't know Emperor Butterflies sold for 2,500 bells!!!

HappyTails

On Indefinite Hiatus
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Why didn't anyone tell me this!? I beetle hunt on the island every night and pass up the butterflies as if they aren't there! Dude I could have been making so much money.

But guess what? Now that found out, the butterflies are mysteriously not showing up as much anymore.

Another case of things you should really know if you were paying attention.

Another tip: If Hermit Crabs annoy you on the island, you can stop them from spawning by laying flowers and seashells around the perimeter of your island beach. If flowers, you also increase the amount of butterflies appearing at the same time!

Actually the emperor butterflies are a pain for many hunters because they are actually half the price of the lowest selling coconut beetle (goliath beetle @ 5,000 bells).

To maximize profit you will ignore emperor butterflies and only go for beetles. Problem with butterflies is you can't chase them away, you have to either enter the building or catch them to "remove them". If you don't, they stack up and then nothing else can show up on the island.

edit: they are great if you need to leave the island and have spaces to spare, though.

Last edited:
Oh I still get the bugs from the trees but 2,500 bells is still a lot of bells, especially for someone who has 0 bells, like me. I'm getting the emperor butterflies, beetles and sharks.

But it's annoying to wait for beetles to decide whether or not they want to spawn while there is a 2,500 bell bug flying right there that I can catch.

Last edited:
Wow, I'll have to keep those in mind for my bug hunting.

I mostly just stick to trying to catch sharks at night. Those can go for around 10-15 thousand bells each.

I usually go for them if I'm running low on timer or need a basket-filler to sell quickly and make extra profit, but most of the times they just get in the way of beetle-hunting

If you don't have any flowers on the island, you won't get the butterflies.
They will stop other bugs from spawning (incl the palm tree ones), it will slow the spawning of other bugs up.
So if you have flowers on the island then you really need to catch the butterflies.

The Emperors are easy to catch, I sell them to the little girl for 125 bells each (it mounts up) or will take a few back if I am short of time. I also sell the hermit crab to the little girl (50 bells), rather than lining my shore with shells/flowers. (I like a clear view for sharks). Hermit crabs are not really worth the bother of preventing as they are easy to catch or they will run into the sea.

I have the central part of the island full of flowers, with a central path I run up and down on, one central tree & 2 pairs of bushes (similar as provided at the start).
Emperors seem to flutter by the bushes a lot, making them extra easy to catch; I don't find the palm tree bugs in short supply, I get a continuous number spawning.

Last edited:
I usually catch Emperor Butterflies only if there's literally no other insect worth it
Still, they get a decent amount of money^^

In order to get the best-selling bugs, I get rid of all the flowers, bushes, and non-palm trees. It helps things go more quickly, and is more profitable overall. I wait until I've collected every bug I can catch on the island though. That way, I can donate them to the museum.

As other users have said, I think your time and pocket space are better spent when hunting palm tree beetles; they go for a lot more and are a lot less annoying to catch in my opinion haha. When I go bug hunting I remove all flowers/bushes/regular trees from the island so most of what is left is beetles, it seems to go a bit faster filling up my pockets that way. Anyway, good luck hunting!! :)

Back