Dungeons and Dragons

I only ever played D&D 3e and it was a homebrew session, so I don't have much experience with it. I work with a bunch of other tabletop systems - my favorites are the World of Darkness system/settings (90s goth vampires basically), and Song of Swords. They're very different in what they use, but I think it's fun to experiment and play using different systems!

Last edition of D&D I properly played was 3.5 (unless you technically count it's sort-of spinoff Pathfinder). My group attempted 4th ed, but we didn't like how "streamlined" and MMORPG-esque it had become. And I don't think my group will touch 5th ed. because of the issues of 3.5 (rules/feats bloat) and 4th. Though in saying that, we've tried a lot of other rules systems.

No I haven't, but I've always wanted to! I don't have any friends that play and I live in the middle of nowhere so I doubt I'd be able to find a group, let alone a good group that isn't just a bunch of neck beards that would creep on me.

I've never played but it looks fun and I'd like to try, none of my friends would be into this kind of thing though so getting a group would be difficult and idk if I'd want to join up with people I don't know.

Joining a new group, especially one with strangers is a daunting task... more so if you are an introvert or have social anxiety. Ironically, one of the appealing factors with a tabletop RPG is the social aspect.

I think I've heard of people in the past doing Skype cinferences or chat versions of tabletop RPGs. As great as video games are, they sometimes lack the complete freedom... or a GM having to run with things on the fly because a player did something completely random and unexpected.

Gonna necro this thread because why not.

I've been playing for a little over a year; my partner has been playing for almost 10 years iirc so he introduced me to it. c: We play 5e with our group and it's pretty lax; our last session was nerve-wracking to me because my character's cantrips were useless against the dragon we were fighting. Plus, the dragon had the upper hand because we were in an underwater cave so movement was reduced by half (difficult terrain). Then there was a plot twist so we were spared from the dragon's wrath. I'm enjoying it so far though. Genuinely curious if there are other active players on here.

I haven't, but I've always been curious about it given it gets slack in a lot movies and shows for being "boring/lame". Not that that means anything. Maybe it's a thing to do someday.

Last edited:
I play it most weekends. Safe to say I like it.

I haven't, but I've always been curious about it given it gets slack in a lot movies and shows for being "boring/lame". Not that that means anything. Maybe it's a thing to do someday.

I opened a box that caused the apocalypse once and died by falling off a dragon I climbed trying to make him read a book.

As long as you enjoy the game, it's only as boring as the people playing it. I recommend it if you get the chance.

I have yet to play 5e. I've played a little bit of 3.5 and Pathfinder, but I haven't played more than a few sessions of either.

I'd like to get involved in a proper campaign someday, but it's hard to find people to play with.

i've been trying to get into it, i've even been working on a character for it! but like fenris said it's hard to find people to play with + i'm shy :B luckily my friend is gonna start doing tiny little campaigns soon so i'll be able to join those :D

It's a fun game. But the problem is you really need 4-5 people to play, you need to play pretty regularly (I'd say maybe 2-3 times a month), and each session takes a few hours minimum.

I haven't played since 3.5 was the current version. I did play it for a while, but it was so hard to get reliable groups because of how much time it needs. The DM (Dungeon Master) also has a hard job, in that they need to do prep work outside of the game time before each session to plan for it. I've been both a DM and a player. I sold all of my books after a few years.

Yup! Our group plays once a week, and has been for the past year or so. We just finished Tomb of Annihilation, so it's a bit weird to be finished that arc of our campaign. I play a wood elf forest druid - started at Level 1, and now she's Level 11! :blush: This was my first foray into D&D, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy it. I get to escape my life for a bit and be a powerful sassy caster who Thorn Whips everyone.

I really want to get into it. My friend keeps on inviting me to games on Fridays, but I'm always busy. Plus, I'm so scared of doing things wrong since I've never played a real game before (I've done a lot of research tho lol).

I've never had the opportunity to play Dungeons & Dragons, but I really like watching other people playing it. It can be pretty funny, entertaining, and interesting. I hope to be able to participate in a group sometime to actually experience it myself.

Back