What's your opinion on hacked dream towns?

The_Storyteller

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Hi all,
I don't really have feelings either way about people who hack their towns. It doesn't really affect me or take away from my enjoyment of the game, and what other people do with their towns isn't my business.

But what of hacked dream towns? I love that ACNL introduced the Dream Suite. It's a great way to get inspiration for your town and just to see what other people have created. But I personally find it really disappointing when I go to a dream town and it's really obvious that it's been hacked. Like when there's houses on the beach and trees in the river... I have heaps of frustrations with the limitations on landscaping and whatnot in my own town, but working with what you have is half the fun.

I don't know, maybe I'm just being sensitive? What's your opinion on hacked dream towns?

I personally wouldn't hack acnl or any game at all. I like to play within the game's restrictions or how it's meant to be played.

However, I still do enjoy exploring a hacked town. Since acnl is somewhat city builder simulation, and it doesn't necessarily affect others directly; I view hacked towns as an art form. It just shows how this person thinks of placement, and how they utilize a lot of the environment pieces.

I really like when there's bamboo/weeds in the rivers and ponds. It's like a sandbox game to them.

More power to them. Maybe it will show the designers what options people really would like and they can implement them next game (highly doubt it, but I can hope).

At the end of the day, it is nice to see how a town could look with very little restrictions.

I don't hack my towns, but hacked towns can look really interesting. I almost always visit random dream towns, so the occasional hacked dream town I come across is a nice change of pace.

I think they're fun to explore when they're more abstract but it does make me sad that I can never get my town to look as nice as some of the more realistic hacked towns do.

I like visiting hacked towns for when I don't have anything better to do. TBH most of the concepts in them are really interesting and would be cool to see in later installments. But while they are nice and pretty creative, I totally understand what you mean and I usually don't use them for inspiration since I don't hack my town and I would feel discouraged about how limited my options are.

I love visiting hacked towns- but I'm always super jealous that I'm so limited as well. I would love to have a little dock in my town or things in the ponds :c

I don't get frustrated but I don't really like visiting hacked dream towns. I like natural towns that stick with the towns limitations, since that's how I play.

The only reason I'd hack my game is so I could have the maximum amount of IGB and not stress over affording house expansions and PWPs and whatnot. The landscaping stuff looks cool in other people's towns but I agree with having to work with what you have.

I don't hack mine. I know my 14 year old cousin has hacked his. I am neural though. I don't want to do it but don't mind exploring a hacked town.

I think they're nice when they're not obviously hacked/show-offy. Like PWPs that are impossible to get, such as event tents and cut-out standees, or pwps on top of each other etc. Houses floating above the beach or right on top of the railroad, trees in rivers, 99,000 bag bells all over the ground lol. It's a bit excessive. But other than that.. to each their own, i personally think its more fun to pay off my house by working for it and catching all the bugs/fish & filling the museum in due time, but landscaping is a different story. i tried to landscape my town on the game's natural perimeters but... it's just too annoying, the way lines of bushes will break, or orchards will have dead spots, the fact unlocking the PWPs you want will take YEARS, etc. so I ended up investing money in a powersaves dongle and buying a whole other DS with earlier firmware so i could install custom firmware on it, and then use a save editor to landscape my town.

Last edited:
I really despise them mostly because I get jealous of what they can do. If I can change minor details that bother me about my town then I would do it. But I don't hack because it takes the enjoyment out of the game. And I take pride in my town because it was created through my own hard work :)

I can hack my town if I want to but that's not my style. Sure, a lot of hacked towns look really good, even better than non-hacked, but I don't like doing stuff on my 3DS in order to make those save editor/tools work. Using custom firmware is synonymous to pirating to me.

I don't hack (nor will I) but i find it very interesting to explore hacked towns and see what people can do when given full control over every asset of the game, it really shows their creativity and offers a new perspective on the game that you probably wouldn't see otherwise

I like seeing hacked dream towns because it shows a potential for what towns could look like in future games, because of how everything is placed differently. It also shows how creative people are in the community.

I don't think I would try to hack my game, but I have hacked City Folk before... It was a tricky process and I barely remember how I did it, but it was fun for a little while. But then if you didn't enter things right it could backfire your save file, and I don't want to do that with my 3DS.

I think a lot of them look really cool!

Unfortunately, some of them go overboard with the greenery, making their town difficult to navigate. It sort of kills the charm.

There are so many things I wish we could do in the game without hacking, so it's nice to see some things pan out via hacks, like the bushes right on the edge of a cliff, or next to a home/PWP/etc.

I'm actually split on the issue. Like, you should just use what is given, and doing something great with that makes things more impressive. BUT it's impressive in a different way that they could hack ACNL in the first place, so kudos.

Well, I wouldn't ever hack my town. I think that hacking is going overboard sometimes, but at the same time, I kinda appreciate it.

The truth is, I think that hacked towns are 'Improvement Towns' telling everybody what needs to be included in ACNL. For example, I don't understand why it's not a rule for player's or villager's houses to be on beaches. I'd love to see somebody have a beach-house town.

I also don't understand why clovers or trees can't be underwater. It would be cool to have an underwater harvesting land, where you can dive underwater with your wetsuit and collect everything you need! That'd be splendid!

I've visited a hacked town, where the river was in a nice, straight line and the beach was stretched, running along the side. I think that when you're the mayor and when you start off with Rover, instead of him showing you the different plotted maps, my opinion is that you could choose where your beach and river is. I don't want default, chosen maps to be my town plot.

Well, I think producing hacked items and doing other cheats that are not related to the appearance is going a bit too far. I don't think you should use the hacks for in-game stuff.

I think it's really cool, it's a way to see a way more personalized town, with less limitations. I would never hack my current game, but I'd consider it if I ever got a second copy of it. Hacked dream towns are really unique honestly, and it would be a bit more boring if there were weren't any of them

Back