• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Linkin Park's Chester Bennington dead at 41

I suppose, but toughening up can be harder for some than others. Like I'm battling severe depression right now and I'm having a very hard time getting passed it because I feel like nobody really cares about how I truly feel except for my online friends.

And we aren't excusing him because he's a good musician, a lot of us (currently) understand his pain. We can never know why he did what he did. But things like this make people more aware of what depression can do to someone, and that people really shouldn't just look the other way if someone seems to be depressed.

I could come across as rude too, but instead of pointing fingers at him and calling him a bad guy, I'm just praying that his kids find happiness again after living through such hardships.

I know I'm really driving the point home here, and sorry for that, but the only reason his kids are going through hardship right now is because their dad hanged himself in the house they all lived in together while they were out of town. Can you imagine being a little kid and having to deal with that? They'll all be carrying that around for the rest of their lives.

Again, I know what it's like to be that far gone, and I guess I'm mad at the guy because I'm living proof that it does get better if you just hang in there. I hope that you'll take something away from that, if nothing else. I'm sorry you're dealing with severe depression and I don't think your depression is stupid, just to clarify; that was more me being flabbergasted by the fact that someone would actually put their depression first and leave six children behind like that. I'm sure you think I'm brash and wouldn't want to talk to me about anything even remotely personal, but if you do need someone that's (mostly) gotten past depression to talk you down, I'm here for that, at least.

I realize that anyone can be depressed, but it is interesting how richer countries tend to have a higher depression rate than third world countries. I guess when you stop struggling you stop being grateful and appreciative for the little things you have. And I'm saying there comes a point where you have to toughen up because I was in that guy's shoes at one point. I do have compassion and understanding for the situation that guy was in. I know getting past it isn't like flipping a switch, but unlike me and every other depressed person that chose not to kill themselves, he tossed aside the feelings of everyone he cared about, and let his own emotions be more important than sticking around to raise his kids. That is inexcusable to me, and it's frustrating that everyone seems willing to give this guy a pass and feel bad for him because he made good music. Do you see where I'm coming from?

Do you know why that is? Please be aware that many countries do not offer mental illness assistance or isn't reported because it's not important enough. In many cultures, depression or feeling suicidal is something everyone accustoms themselves to push aside or dismiss it as if nothing happened. Many countries don't even have hotlines or any form to get help so many are unreported or are never treated. Just because you managed your depression (congratulations btw) does not mean it's the same experience or recovery for anyone else. That's like saying, 'Hey, I got over x cancer so everyone else should too' by that logic. Your stance was being very dismissive especially when you literally stated it's "a stupid first world problem". Even here in the US, it's still stigmatized and there's still work to do.

It's a tragic situation because he was fortunate enough to get resources but sometimes depression is too much for one's mind to take. From what I've heard, he has gotten help in the past but depression can strike back in cruel ways.

that was more me being flabbergasted by the fact that someone would actually put their depression first and leave six children behind like that

You're saying he put depression first and his kids second like depression is a priority. That doesn't really make sense. Who wants depression to be their first priority?

Idk, just thinking about it makes me feel even worse, I feel emptier now than I have in a long time, and trying to get you to show a little more compassion isn't helping.

This isn't directed at anyone since the current topic isn't too bad, but I just want to remind everyone that if you disagree with someone, remember to do so civilly and refrain from disrespecting one another.

You're saying he put depression first and his kids second like depression is a priority. That doesn't really make sense. Who wants depression to be their first priority?

Idk, just thinking about it makes me feel even worse, I feel emptier now than I have in a long time, and trying to get you to show a little more compassion isn't helping.

I disagree with what he chose to do because I think that once you have children, taking care of them should take precedence over you, your emotions and the things you want in life. I think that having kids means you are responsible for the life or lives you created no matter what. He chose to let his depression take precedence over being there for his kids and that's what I've been angry about since I read about this earlier today. I do feel compassion with people for depression, but suicide is a choice; you have to do it for it to happen. My whole point is that suicide wasn't the answer to his problems and that he should have stuck around to see his kids grow up. They would have been happier and he would have been happier.

This is really sad to hear. His fans, family and friends will mourn the death of this unique individual and while I wasn't a fan of his songs. (Numb is a great song) I do appreciate his talent and the way he has influenced many people today.

@ Miii

Everybody is different so applying your situation to his death to start ranting is ghastly, show some respect and pay your respects instead of posting unneeded and negative comments in an already negative atmosphere, I'm aware about his family (it is terrible, I feel empathy and sympathy for them) but you crapping all over a recently deceased kind man is just completely unnecessary. Especially because you are using his death to spread your agenda against everybody in "first world countries" who suffer depression despite not considering that it is a mental illness for many and a mental state for others because of several reasons usually being traumatic, a mental illness is nothing to criticize and you can't tell people to toughen up because they can't, they can't control it and people who are depressed but not diagnosed with depression likely have completely valid reasons (rape, abuse etcetera) to be depressed.

You are not Chester so comparing your experiences with his is foolish because they certainly differ, you don't know what he was thinking and you don't know what his life was like. People with depression face different challenges and likely have other problems that pile onto why they commit suicide.

I agree that committing suicide when you have 6 children and a wife, is a horrendous thing to do but like I said, nobody knows what he was thinking in the moments running up to his death. He may have completely forgot about everything and everyone he loved because the pain was taking over him, he may have just went blank and did the act without thinking it through for all we know.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm not disregarding the other things you have said, I can see your point but I certainly don't agree.

This is really sad to hear. His fans, family and friends will mourn the death of this unique individual and while I wasn't a fan of his songs. (Numb is a great song) I do appreciate his talent and the way he has influenced many people today.

@ Miii

Everybody is different so applying your situation to his death to start ranting is ghastly, show some respect and pay your respects instead of posting unneeded and negative comments in an already negative atmosphere, I'm aware about his family (it is terrible, I feel empathy and sympathy for them) but you crapping all over a recently deceased kind man is just completely unnecessary. Especially because you are using his death to spread your agenda against everybody in "first world countries" who suffer depression despite not considering that it is a mental illness for many and a mental state for others because of several reasons usually being traumatic, a mental illness is nothing to criticize and you can't tell people to toughen up because they can't, they can't control it and people who are depressed but not diagnosed with depression likely have completely valid reasons (rape, abuse etcetera) to be depressed.

You are not Chester so comparing your experiences with his is foolish because they certainly differ, you don't know what he was thinking and you don't know what his life was like. People with depression face different challenges and likely have other problems that pile onto why they commit suicide.

I agree that committing suicide when you have 6 children and a wife, is a horrendous thing to do but like I said, nobody knows what he was thinking in the moments running up to his death. He may have completely forgot about everything and everyone he loved because the pain was taking over him, he may have just went blank and did the act without thinking it through for all we know.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm not disregarding the other things you have said, I can see your point but I certainly don't agree.

I'm not crapping on him, nor am I pushing an agenda against depressed people in first world countries. I'm saying he made a bad choice that probably messed up his kids up for life. No kid is fine and dandy after their dad kills himself in their house while they're gone.

And come on. Depression doesn't impair your memory. Do you honestly think that he just forgot he had a family when he decided to hang himself? That's a stretch and I'm sure you know that. It's a messed up situation, and I'm not claiming to know the guy personally. I'm claiming that he made a bad decision for himself, and a worse decision for everyone he left behind.

I'm deeply sad at the lost of a musician that I loved growing up. And still do. As a sort of tribute, I'm I've been playing what few LP songs I've got on my phone on shuffle and repeat. Kind of disappointed that I don't have the full albums on my phone before I heard the news.

As for suicide and depression. You can never know what is going through another's life. A lot of people may be able to relate in different ways, be it people that have contemplated suicide, those that have attempted it, and those with a mental health background. But at the end of the day, we can never know what sort of demons he was battling, and the toll it was taking on him. Especially given today marks the birthday of a close friend of his... that recently passed.

But a big travesty here isn't that he suffered from depression, or that he took his own life... but with society's view on celebrities and mental health. While we do live in an age where mental health is talked about, and advocates are pushing people to be more open, there's still a stigma about having something wrong with you. People generally are fine talking about depression and what not, but still many are afraid to admit that they've got a condition or afraid of seeking help/proper diagnosis.

And in regards with celebrities, is that as a whole, society expects them to be perfect. We think because they've got money and fame, that they should be happy. That they can get anything they want. But money can't buy happiness. And it's growing more apparent that it can't with YouTubers shutting down channels or taking because they admitted the toll that social media can take. People think because a person is famous or rich, that they don't go through the same **** as anyone else. That don't understand what hardship is. But stress and trauma is relative, and everyone is human.

And this is longer than I expected it to be...

So yeah, to wrap this up, RIP Chester. You and your music will be missed.

RIP Chester Bennington. Hybrid Theory is one of my all-time favorite and who knows how much I've played that album over and over during the early 2000 era. His unique voice (talent) and music will be greatly missed.

I'm not crapping on him, nor am I pushing an agenda against depressed people in first world countries. I'm saying he made a bad choice that probably messed up his kids up for life. No kid is fine and dandy after their dad kills himself in their house while they're gone.

And come on. Depression doesn't impair your memory. Do you honestly think that he just forgot he had a family when he decided to hang himself? That's a stretch and I'm sure you know that. It's a messed up situation, and I'm not claiming to know the guy personally. I'm claiming that he made a bad decision for himself, and a worse decision for everyone he left behind.

The last sentence was the only thing you had to say at all.

I'm aware depression doesn't impair people's memory, I didn't claim it did. I was simply stating he may have just lost out in the moment and simply didn't think (forgot) about everyone and everything else in the heat of the moment, his depression likely isn't the only reason why he killed himself. I don't know why you have to state the obvious, everybody is more or less thinking exactly what you are thinking, this is thread is to pay your respects and your condolences, if you can't do either why even post? This thread isn't asking for your opinions on first world depressed people or even Chester's death, it's a tribute thread not a thread for hate or criticism. (Referring to the blue highlighted parts.)

Anyway I'm done with this conversation, not really going anywhere.

Last edited:
This is one of those deaths that I actually can't process yet. It's actually such a shock to me that I can't believe it.

Rest in peace, man.

I'm guessing it was a combination of LP becoming a meme and them not releasing a well received album in over a decade. Sad stuff.

Apologies for what I said earlier, but I don't take things that I find completely false very well.

Yeah, I know. Been there, done that. That doesn't justify going through with it when you have children to take care of, though. At a certain point you just have to toughen the **** up and get over yourself. I mean he was a famous musician with a successful career and tons of fans, while there are plenty of people in the world living in dirt huts half starving to death wondering if they'll have anything to feed their kids tonight. Depression is a stupid first world problem and I'm both over it and sick of it.

Severe depression can make you feel completely worthless and like the world is better off without you. When you're suicidal, you often feel like you are doing the world and the people you love a favour by killing yourself. Telling someone to 'toughen the **** up' can make them feel worse about themselves.

I think you're confused: people do not choose to be depressed. Depression is a mental illness. Anyone can be affected by it. I doesn't favour anybody and it is a silent killer. To starving families and children in West Africa, to middle-class citizens, to billionaire businessmen.

So please, just ****ing stop.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Anyway, back to the topic on hand.

Linkin Park was a band that I listened to at my lowest times, when I was struggling with depression, anxiety and self-harm. Clich?, I know, but they helped me get through the worst times of my life. I grew out of their music, as my taste in music has gone from metal to indie hipster lo-fi ****, but I always remembered them as an amazing band. I haven't been this shocked about a death since David Bowie died. It was incredibly hard to process and frankly, it doesn't even seem real.

Severe depression can make you feel completely worthless and like the world is better off without you. When you're suicidal, you often feel like you are doing the world and the people you love a favour by killing yourself. Telling someone to 'toughen the **** up' can make them feel worse about themselves.

I think you're confused: people do not choose to be depressed. Depression is a mental illness. Anyone can be affected by it. I doesn't favour anybody and it is a silent killer. To starving families and children in West Africa, to middle-class citizens, to billionaire businessmen.

So please, just ****ing stop.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Anyway, back to the topic on hand.

Linkin Park was a band that I listened to at my lowest times, when I was struggling with depression, anxiety and self-harm. Clich?, I know, but they helped me get through the worst times of my life. I grew out of their music, as my taste in music has gone from metal to indie hipster lo-fi ****, but I always remembered them as an amazing band. I haven't been this shocked about a death since David Bowie died. It was incredibly hard to process and frankly, it doesn't even seem real.

Believe me, I started suffering from depression in 2012 due to all of the social pressures that came with being in middle school (NGL, being 12 and enrolled in middle school sucked) and also the fact that my relationship with my parents had started to severely fall out (my relationship with my dad had actually started to fall out as far back as 2008, but 2012 was when it hit with my mom and so having bad relationships with both parents really sucked). Also, I have several family members who have it-my aunt was diagnosed with it in 1978 when she was 20 years old and has suffered greatly from it, to the point where she had a major panic attack and went missing for two weeks in 2001. My uncle was diagnosed with depression himself in 1993, as in 1988 my grandpa (his dad, he's the brother of my mom) died and just the following year, his girlfriend left him to get married to another man. Then, in 1997, another girlfriend he had died of cancer. I wholeheartedly agree, depression is something that is just flat out horrible and can take the life out of people.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm guessing it was a combination of LP becoming a meme and them not releasing a well received album in over a decade. Sad stuff.

Some of the work they released back around 2009 I liked.

Pretty horrible. I wasn't a huge fan but they had some pretty big hits that I know I listened to many many times. Sad to see anyone go like that, and it's really sad he's leaving so much behind. =[ Hope his family finds peace with it.

I used to love Linkin Park. I now think I might get back into them in memory of our fallen Conrad.

Back