• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

I'm honestly so depressed at the state this world is in

pastellrain

creator of whimsica
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Orange (Fruit)
There's so much hate everywhere. So much racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, bullying, crimes, and hostility. I want those things to not exist. I want there to be no bad people or fighting.

I won't ever be truly happy until innocent people no longer have to fight for what they deserve and the world is harmonious.

Can anyone offer me reassurance that there's love around? All you have to do is post words of kindness. It will mean a lot even if you don't know what to say.

Sorry I'm so selfish but I need someone to tell me that there is still love in the world, I haven't really felt it for so long.

I know I'm idealistic but just knowing this stuff exists really damages me mentally. I really can't control how I feel.

maybe im too young to say this , maybe im not mature enough to tell this
yes , its true bad stuff around the world exists , and sadly , you and me wish we could be in a pink world where racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, bullying, crimes, hostility and many other stuff didn't existed , but sadly , lets be real , that won't be happening.
However , that doesn't means our world is completely black and sad : There are many people who have the heart as big as our entire planet , there are people who know we are the same people , regardless of our sexual preferences , skin tone , gender , etc. and they give all the love and support to everyone c:.
There are people who helps homeless , there are people who fight for gender equality , there are people who fight for LGBTQ+ community rights ,there are people who fight against bullying and of course , there are people who fight against all of the crimes we have been seeing over the years.
There are people who are making the change , even if we can't see it.
And if we see it this way , maybe not today , or tomorrow we wont see it , but who , maybe in some years we will see the world we want to see , maybe not in 1 year , or 2 , but one day we will be able to see it. Maybe we could even see it in 30 years , time makes things to change real fast.
And even if we can't see it , the new generations will be able to see the change and hopefully live in a peaceful world with a peaceful society and hopefully the world we always wanted the new generations will be able to enjoy peacefully. <3.

Meanwhile , take this!:
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Homophobia is dying, and so is everything else but at a far slower pace.

Anyway it's no so bad. Just means more drama and then I can fight *****es.

The world today is infinitely better than it has ever been. If you're feeling hopeless, read back through human history a little. The world was an atrocious, violent, disease ridden, hate filled place just a few hundred years ago (less than that in many places), which is nothing compared to how long we've been around. Humans are nicer now than we've ever been.

You can read about how Joseph Stallin started the Holodomor (death by starvation) from 1932-1933 that killed around 3 million Ukrainians, or the millions of other people that psychopath killed. There's also the brutality and insane death tolls of World Wars 1 and 2. There's also Chinese cannibalism to look into. Or the horrific rule of Augusto Pinochet over Chile. Or the Holocaust. Or the Rwanda genocide. Or the Zunghar genocide. Or the Armenian genocide. Or the Cambodian genocide. Or if you feel like reading way back, you can read about the Crusades. There are more instances of human atrocities committed in the past than I can fit into a single post.

If comparing the worst of human history to now isn't your thing and you'd rather read about something more positive, you can read about how people all over the world worked together to completely eradicate Smallpox, or how we've all but eliminated diseases like Polio, Measles, Diptheria, Rubella, and Tetanus.

You can also take note of how much the care of the mentally ill and disabled has improved recently in human history. Or how infanticide isn't really a thing anymore. There's also the fact that gay people can now get married in some parts of the world and live a normal life, where they used to either have to keep it a secret or risk being alienated from everyone they knew and cared about or risk being killed just for being the way they were.

The world will always be a work in progress, but it has gotten so much better and we're only continuing to improve.

Change takes time, and expectations shift as things become the new normal. The world was objectively a scarier and darker place for the groups you mentioned even 10 years ago. 20 years ago? Even worse. 50 years ago? Way, way worse. And so on.

Don't be sad! (◕‿◕✿) About everyone I see on tbt is nice and kind!

Have all the hugs you need!

imo there is more love than hate but ppl focus so much in the hate that it seems like it's the bigger one

Associating yourself with nice people can give you a more hopeful insight on the world. I know that from experience.

I find that listening to instrumental music (even ACNL music counts) can help brighten your mood. I have a bunch of relaxing music on my iPod to help me concentrate or keep me in an uplifted mood. Taking a walk or any kind of exercise can also do wonders as well. I also recommend coloring books! There's something very relaxing about coloring that puts your mind at ease. There's tons of adult coloring books at your local bookstore or online if you're looking for something to a show or game you enjoy. Silly animal videos are helpful at times or watching a comedy movie or series is good, too. Cooking a new meal generally keeps me in good spirits or playing a game is great. Keeping a plant is good.

Just remember that something small can definitely count towards your happiness. Feeling sad is okay and it's very understandable. Writing a diary to rant can be a good way to release those emotions or talking to someone helps. <3

Be the change you wish to see in the world. That is all anyone has ever been able to do to make the world a better place.

You should have faith in the fact that someone, you, were able to step aside and notice that something is up. So many people are just "used to it" and carry on as if they saw nothing.

Right now, it shouldn't matter to you whether the state of the world will improve or not. It will be sometime before any changes come around. You need to find confidence in yourself first, so you can get through anything. That might be easier said than done, but sometimes unravelling it helps. Something bothers you and makes you feel negative. First, what is it that bothers you? Then ask yourself, well why do I need to feel negative about this? The secret to being happy is finding ways to fight emotion and instinctual behaviours that are in our species. That might sound a bit crazy and its late where I am so being tired doesn't help, but it's how I am where I am right now. I don't ignore what is happening around me but it doesn't get me down.

Last edited:
yeah, we were a lot worse only 100 hundred years ago. consider yourself lucky to be living in today.

yeah, we were a lot worse only 100 hundred years ago. consider yourself lucky to be living in today.

Considering recent years' backlashes with women/lgbt rights and stuff I wouldn't say in some cases.

But yeah I wish a lot of things could just gtfo here...

The world used to be (and in some ways, still sort of is ... unfortunately) filled with SO much hatred and disgusting people. People are still ****ty, but we've gotten better. There's whole communities on the internet protesting in favour of those being discriminated against, such as the LGBT+ community. It's really quite amazing that the internet has brought so many loving people together. Of course, you get the trolls, but they're a minority.
I think what you could be worried about is perhaps terrorism and crime in general? There's no stopping crime, you mustn't deny that, but remember, we have the United Nations now. They help combat terrorism and discrimination by a sovereignty.

Last edited:
As a whole I'd say we're better off now than ever. Sure, sometimes we take a step back, but then we take two steps forward. That's why I think it's important to persevere during bad times because I honestly believe that things will get better.

And I know that there are good people out there. They're just not as loud as the bad ones.

Well, not everything in the world is bad. Social issues have improved a great deal over the years. So many young LGBT kids and kids of color get love and support when just 10 years ago they would be shunned. Try not to focus on the negative!

Believe me, I started suffering from depression about five years ago, and it's horrible. It's run in my family since at least the late '70s, so yeah, it really sucks. Not only that, I also have OCD and anxiety, which suck too. However, these disorders aren't things I can remove from myself.
And yes, a lot of **** happens in the real world, but what can we do about it? Homophobia/biphobia is something that strongly bothers me, especially because it exists in my family (my parents are extremely conservative in more ways than just politically) and I'm bisexual, but at the end of the day, I can't change their opinions and views, and I can't let the thoughts of others bother me. I can only live my life the way it was meant for me and I can't just do everything that others want. This is my life, not the life of anyone else. I don't mean to sound selfish either, but I've gradually made that realization since when I was in middle school (all three years I was in it were rough, but the early part of it in 2011 and especially 2012, when I was in 6th grade on into starting 7th, was particularly rough).
Middle school here in Mississippi was extremely conformist-if you didn't "fit in" to what was expected, you were ostracized by almost everyone. And believe me, I wasn't the only one that had to deal with this either-plenty of my friends did too (in fact, that's how I met them, we were all sort of loners together and we bonded, although quite a few of these friendships wouldn't last into high school). Soon enough, I realized that this whole social structure that came with Southern middle school was BS and I realized I could do what I want, whether people like it or not, or if they like me or not. That's when I realized I was a rebel at heart.:cool:
While I know I did get off topic here, I will connect this to the points you brought up: during that same time in middle school starting in 2012 to 2014, people constantly made fun of me for being "gay" (they didn't even know what my sexual orientation really was, they just made assumptions) just because I hung out with some of my best friends who were other guys a lot of the time. That was when I noticed that there are just a lot of people out there full of ****.
At the end of the day, love trumps hate. I know Hillary Clinton may have not won the presidential election, but I personally believe there is more love and hope in this world than hate and destruction. However I am guilty of focusing on the bad more than the good a lot of the time-while I have never come out about my sexuality to any of my family members, pretty much all of my friends IRL know (along with plenty here on the Internet, of course) and while most responded well, not all did. It bothered me that one friend I've had since 2007 didn't respond well at all and appeared extremely unhappy about my bisexuality, but at the end of the day, why should I care? It's my life, not his.
I know this ended up being a wall of text, but I feel it needs to be said.

- - - Post Merge - - -

You should have faith in the fact that someone, you, were able to step aside and notice that something is up. So many people are just "used to it" and carry on as if they saw nothing.

Right now, it shouldn't matter to you whether the state of the world will improve or not. It will be sometime before any changes come around. You need to find confidence in yourself first, so you can get through anything. That might be easier said than done, but sometimes unravelling it helps. Something bothers you and makes you feel negative. First, what is it that bothers you? Then ask yourself, well why do I need to feel negative about this? The secret to being happy is finding ways to fight emotion and instinctual behaviours that are in our species. That might sound a bit crazy and its late where I am so being tired doesn't help, but it's how I am where I am right now. I don't ignore what is happening around me but it doesn't get me down.

Exactly. If the main thing you want is for the world to be a better place, you have a good heart.

sooner people know the better.. things like sexism, racism, homophobia and crime etc wouldn't exist in the mass amounts now if media didn't exploit it to trigger people. believe it or not, tragedies/hate revolving around things as such is an agenda created to make people feel how you (and i) feel, to evoke some reaction and death. the world is never going to be harmonious, sadly. diligently thrive getting what you want out of this life if you truly believe in yourself. best thing you can do for yourself now is shut away all the things that bother you. turn off the news, don't listen to the radio, BLOCK WHAT YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE ON SOCIAL MEDIA.. just shut it all out. you'll know it exists but you won't have any reminders. i hope you don't find this patronizing because i don't intend to be. i really know how you feel.. remember that how you feel will come and go, and in a world like his that's perfectly normal.

Back