• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Paper Mario Series!

WinteryGarnet

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
3427-3714-6504
So, my friend and I are HUGE fans of the Paper Mario games, specifically Super Paper Mario. It's the game that brought us together in the first place. However, since that game, we feel as though Nintendo has been slacking and losing quality in their paper mario games. I mean how can you go from TTYD and SPM to Sticker Star?
What are some of your thoughts, and do you hope we'll get a better Paper Mario for the Switch XP

Short version: You are correct and no we will not.

Someon
So, my friend and I are HUGE fans of the Paper Mario games, specifically Super Paper Mario. It's the game that brought us together in the first place. However, since that game, we feel as though Nintendo has been slacking and losing quality in their paper mario games. I mean how can you go from TTYD and SPM to Sticker Star?
What are some of your thoughts, and do you hope we'll get a better Paper Mario for the Switch XP
Someone understands! :)

Because Nintendo want to be new and innovative they won't recreate something that already exists. We had so many near-clones of Pokemon back in the day, but now each game has to be a overhauled experience.

That's why we keep getting new takes on the "Paper Mario" formula and may never get something as great as the old ones again. I hope I'm wrong, though.

The first one is the best and then the sequel, after that it goes downhill for me.

I love the first two Paper Mario games, and Super Paper Mario though it took me years to finish because I gave up on it too fast when I first got it! (at the time I felt it was too different from the old games lol but I didn't know what still lay ahead in Sticker Star..) I've stopped holding out hope for another instalment I'll like since they dropped Color Splash; it just feels so lazy on Nintendo's part to keep making basic platformer-style games with a Paper Mario face slapped on it. To me SPM was enough of a spin/innovation on the formula, and it was still charming and memorable because it retained a lot of the elements that made the first two games good in the first place.
But that's just my onion, I'd be happy if we got another actual RPG Paper Mario, but there's not really anything stopping me from replaying the old ones when I want to.

Thousand Year Door was my favorite even though I could never beat the end bosses. I hope they make another Paper Mario like the first two games. I didn't play Color Splash because I don't want to play a game with cards.

Yeah, I know a lot of people didn't like SPM as much because of the different playing style, but I just love the characters and story. That's what I loved so much about the paper mario games, was that they had a lot more story to them. That's the kinda game I would want to play. If they make a Paper Mario for the switch I think it would be cool to go back to more traditional formats with the companions characters, and more in depth story elements.

Yeah, I know a lot of people didn't like SPM as much because of the different playing style, but I just love the characters and story. That's what I loved so much about the paper mario games, was that they had a lot more story to them. That's the kinda game I would want to play. If they make a Paper Mario for the switch I think it would be cool to go back to more traditional formats with the companions characters, and more in depth story elements.

I watched a playthrough of SPM and they story was good but the gameplay didn't look great to me. The first two had me hooked and had charm to them that has not been seen since.

The most common 'lore' behind the decline of Paper Mario is actually because of Miyamoto. He doesn't think PM is a game where story or character is important, so they keep trying these weird gameplay systems that never quite land, and the story has suffered mightily since Thousand Year Door

I only like the first 3, though I admit I never played Color Splash. My favorite is The Thousand Year Door.

I have said this before but I am a HUGE Paper Mario fan! I know most really enjoyed the RPG elements of the original ones but I love all of them! I think how they incorporate different crafts and little arty things is so clever, creative, and really brings me into the games since I love that stuff in real life! My first and favorite Paper Mario game was Super Paper Mario! It was super fun on Wii and has TONS of humor, collectibles, secrets, and post game content! I enjoyed the original on Wii U VC as well! Sticker Star was really easy but I still loved it. I even played Color Splash… I really liked it and I am close to finishing it as I never did years ago when it first came out for some reason… Oh and finally I have Origami King but I haven’t been able to sink a ton of time into it recently but I have GOT to play it more because its so cute and different!

I only like the first 3, though I admit I never played Color Splash. My favorite is The Thousand Year Door.
I just realized I posted here already so I'm going to update and say I haven't played Origami King either. ... Because I got Bug Fables that year lol
I would like to try Origami King, but I can only get a few games each year and it isn't high priority right now.

Paper Mario 64 was my favorite game in the series, followed closely by The Thousand Year Door. Since then, the franchise seems to have gone downhill. I’m not even excited for upcoming Paper Mario games anymore.

i grew up playing the paper mario series so it definitely has a special place in my heart. i think super paper mario is where the franchise peaked, it felt like a fresh take on the paper mario format but it also had a great storyline. i thought the flipping between dimensions was so cool and was such an interesting way to get players to search every nook and cranny. thinking back, i think i felt like the game had a lot of charm and heart overall. sticker star is where things felt kinda soulless in a way? it just didn't give me the same feeling as the previous 3 games. i never ended up replaying it either which is unusual. it was the same case for paper jam and colour splash. i don't think i ended up finishing either of those games though.

origami king was alright but it just felt like it was lacking. i don't really like the route they went with the battle system but i liked the story overall (i didn't really like the bosses though, but i won't say much in case anyone else doesn't want to get spoiled) i just feel like they weren't incredibly creative and not what i'd expect out of a game in the paper mario series.

I just realized I posted here already so I'm going to update and say I haven't played Origami King either. ... Because I got Bug Fables that year lol
I would like to try Origami King, but I can only get a few games each year and it isn't high priority right now.
I def recommend bug fables if you miss the first two paper mario games☝️

Origami king was not it for me tbh. I enjoyed a few parts of the dialog and story but the battle system was so tedious and awful. Credit where it's due though I greatly enjoyed the blooper battle. I remember thinking "Oh snap! I'm having fun!? In Origami king!?"

super paper mario was what i started with and i loved the gameplay and moments like that romance vn parody and also i complain about games i never played about on bulletboards or something like that lol best one in the series imo

I'm thinking about replaying Origami King next year. I beat it the first time but now that I haven't played it for a long time maybe its fresh again. I really like the series and maybe I'll get Thousand Year Door.

I love the Paper Mario series, but out of all the ones I've played (all of them, except Origami King), Sticker Star is the only one I never finished. I don't even think I got very far in it. I want to give it another chance, but all I remember about it was being really bored of it.

I’m in the minority that actually liked Sticker Star. It was my very first Paper Mario game and I enjoyed the levels and puzzles in the game. What I don’t understand is why I never got that free special Donkey Kong Arcade port for the VC if you registered the game on the old Club Nintendo website before a certain date which I definitely did. I registered the game a week after it was released and the deadline to get the DK game was still active for another two months and had been going on for a month by then.

Back