• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Isabelle IS - A - BELL?

Despite the fact I've seen the video that states Isabelle's head is designed like a bag of bells a while ago, it didn't click to me that she wears a bell in her hair until the other day. So when she moves her head, she would make a jingling sound.... like a bag of bells would.

I really do enjoy all of the pins in AC

Last edited:
Ah puns...

Count on Animal crossing for puns everywhere you turn XD

Nana the Monkey, reference to Bananas
Fang the Wolf, reference to the fact wolves have fangs
Resetti, reference to the fact he always appears when you reset

*slow claps* Nintendo, amazing job XD

Don't forget Don Resetti, which is a pun to "Don't reset"

hahah i never even noticed that till i saw read the first post of this thread. when i saw the title i was like "omg, it makes sense cuz she always chirps off the start of a new day and such"

There's a ton of puns, references, and jokes in Animal Crossing.

I think it's pretty dark to name a cow Patty and a horse Elmer...

What do they call the bells in the Spanish version? It seems so odd that they named her canela when they could have gone with Cascabel .. which means bell. And sort of has the word bell still on it.
Lol, right. Bells are bayas un spanish.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Ah puns...

Count on Animal crossing for puns everywhere you turn XD

Nana the Monkey, reference to Bananas
Fang the Wolf, reference to the fact wolves have fangs
Resetti, reference to the fact he always appears when you reset

*slow claps* Nintendo, amazing job XD
- There's also Lobo, which means wolf in spanish
- Pate: sounds like pato (duck in spanish)
- Chevre: goat in french.

- - - Post Merge - - -

lol, it's just like Reese and Cyrus. (Recycle)
In spanish she's called Paca and Cyrus is Al. Al-paca.

Last edited:
In Japanese, Re-tail is called "R-Parkers," and it's a lame pun because it's pronounced the same way as "alpaca" in Japanese!

Oh man I was so surprised when somebody first told me about this, I felt like an idiot lol. Yeah I love how they design their NPCs, they're so good at coming up with clever puns/designs/etc. My favorite part of her being a bell (lol) is definitely the jingling sound she makes when she walks! Turn up your music all the way when you're finding a spot for a PWP and you'll hear her jingling like a bell bag :)

I never noticed any of these! They're very cute though, I like that the translation teams put a lot of thought into making sure the puns worked in pretty much every language.

I never really noticed the Isabelle one, but I have seen a lot of the other puns. The Reece and Cyrus one is kind of weird to me though. Maybe if it was Reece and Michael it sound a bit more like recycle... minus the "M." ;)

Back