• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

regrowing grass because i'm living in a desert!

5cm/s

houseplant enthusiast
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Tasty Cake
White Lily
Ruby
White Tulip
hi! i found this guide on gamefaqs on how to fix grass erosion, and the comments on it all seem positive, but it's three years old and i'm wary hehe

i wanted to know if anyone has tried this method to regrow grass, or if they have any other tips to grow it back! i've been plot resetting and leaving character sized dirt patches, and villagers are moving in and out and leaving dirt sections all over like maniacs, and those never go away :') i stay on my paths and don't run very much but alas my town is dying my grass is crying :cool:

I've done what the guide says too (before the update), and it works! The only side effects I believe were extra flowers (ones villagers planted) and bedhead.

Not sure if they changed this after the update though : /

Last edited:
I've done what the guide says too (before the update), and it works! The only side effects I believe were extra flowers (ones villagers planted) and bedhead.

Not sure if they changed this after the update though : /

thanks for the tip! and yess i was pretty sure it would work because it sounds correct, but i wanted to know if anyone had tried it post-update, because ya never know, right? :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

I think that rains helps a lot, also try to walk without your shoes (idk it kinda works for me)

omg i never thought of that?! i'll try it just to see haha

I've read that planting trees/flowers/bushes helps the grass grow back more quickly; that's what I do and it seems to work :)

TTing still works at regrowing grass. I would go a month and back, but that is if you don't care about your villagers. I would do the hiatus trick before attempting this.

I used to use this method a lot, and my grass grew in very well after using this method when I accidentally put myself back in time a year in a TT accident:eek:

Small tip that I think is still correct, it's been rumoured and seems to be true to me that if you water a flower and then walk on it that it then reverses the growth back into deterioration? Idk if its true but I've had a patch that used to be grass that I've slowly walked over with watered flowers there and nothing is growingback so idk~

I hope it works for you, it should <3

I'm not a TT type, and when I found my grass begin to die I started to plant more trees, flowers, bushes on the dirt patches even if it was temporary.

I'm also really careful not to walk on my dirt bald spots after I water the flowers because it does hurt the process. The bigger patches of dirt are starting to have the green creep back in, so it's definitely working.

thanks for the tip! and yess i was pretty sure it would work because it sounds correct, but i wanted to know if anyone had tried it post-update, because ya never know, right? :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

omg i never thought of that?! i'll try it just to see haha

Ahh, true! If anyone has tried it after the update, I'd love to know if it still works because I might do it soon too... starting to get a bit too much dirt in some areas :p

Yes, time traveling a month or so all at once regrows grass! I recently did it, so it still works after the update. The method in the link has a risk of losing a villager, though. Doing it the opposite way is safer: stop someone from leaving, save, and then go a month forward. Then you can save and go backwards to the present time. Idk why the op is so against going forward then back. If you read the whole thread, there's a post about how someone lost Phoebe by going back and then forward :/

I also prefer to change the clock with Isabelle instead of fiddling with the 3DS settings, but I guess it doesn't really matter, unless you have other games that would get screwed up if you change the 3DS's clock.

Yes, time traveling a month or so all at once regrows grass! I recently did it, so it still works after the update. The method in the link has a risk of losing a villager, though. Doing it the opposite way is safer: stop someone from leaving, save, and then go a month forward. Then you can save and go backwards to the present time. Idk why the op is so against going forward then back. If you read the whole thread, there's a post about how someone lost Phoebe by going back and then forward :/

I also prefer to change the clock with Isabelle instead of fiddling with the 3DS settings, but I guess it doesn't really matter, unless you have other games that would get screwed up if you change the 3DS's clock.

ahh tysm! i'll try your tip to time travel forward instead of back- thanks for the advice! :blush: you're such a big help!

ahh tysm! i'll try your tip to time travel forward instead of back- thanks for the advice! :blush: you're such a big help!

Please let us know what your results were. I have been planting flowers, watering them and trying very hard not to walk on them. It is working for sure, but painfully slow.

Please let us know what your results were. I have been planting flowers, watering them and trying very hard not to walk on them. It is working for sure, but painfully slow.

ofc! just gotta wait for a villager to ping to move :)

Make a path that leads to all the important spots in your town and do your best to walk only on it. Straying from it here and there isn't a big deal, but walking all over all of your grass all the time doesn't give it any time to regrow.

update! tumblr_inline_mnz5bjK4an1qz4rgp.gif

so, i followed the rules of the guide, but tt-ed forward instead of back (following the tip i received), and yesss my grass has regrown!

it's not completely all back (some spots are still have light-colored grass, and some spots have tiny dirt patches still, but nowhere near the size they were at before), but big sections that were annoying to me are repaired for the most part! no villagers moved out (i declined a request to move before i tt-ed), and the only difference is that there are a couple weeds (only a couple because i have the beautiful town ordinance in effect), there are random normal flowers, and i got a bed head.

overall, very pleased with the results and may redo the whole process again next time i get a villager who wants to move!

Yay, I'm glad it worked out! You probably know this already, but there are some dirt patches - the ones that exist on the first day you start your town - that can never grow grass on them.

update! View attachment 204257

so, i followed the rules of the guide, but tt-ed forward instead of back (following the tip i received), and yesss my grass has regrown!

it's not completely all back (some spots are still have light-colored grass, and some spots have tiny dirt patches still, but nowhere near the size they were at before), but big sections that were annoying to me are repaired for the most part! no villagers moved out (i declined a request to move before i tt-ed), and the only difference is that there are a couple weeds (only a couple because i have the beautiful town ordinance in effect), there are random normal flowers, and i got a bed head.

overall, very pleased with the results and may redo the whole process again next time i get a villager who wants to move!

That is great news! I'm so glad that it worked out for you.

Back