• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What was the hardest bug for you to catch?

smallpeach

peach kink 🍑
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Pink Candy
Jack
Green Candy
Yellow Candy
Personally, I'm low key posting this to whine how hard it was to get the tarantula and scorpion (both of which I just caught :D) but there is a bug that I've had a worse gripe with: the fly. Weirdly enough, I've been able to catch dozens upon dozens of ants even though I've had the Beautiful Town ordinance for the longest time. I've taken it off in exchange for Bell Boom multiple times, but it still isn't enough! I find it insane that I can't catch one of the (assumably) most common bugs.

So begs the question, have you had anything like this happen? What has been (or still is) the hardest bug for you to catch?

I would say the diving beetle because you're just standing there waiting for the little jerk to resurface. It's nice when it's in the little ponds but when they're in the rivers..that's another story. Then you snap and slap the water angrily.

I haven't caught the hairy menace or doom stinger yet but the tarantula is never calm when I come upon it. It's always frantically looking for its keys.

I can't win.

oops - the fly is easy - I haven't checked to see what all items it will appear on (probably trash you fish out or river/sea) - but it can take a long time in showing up.

The easy way is a rotten turnip - just buy the min (10) when the price is low with Joan, don't sell, rots in 7 days, or even a min backward time travel will rot it.
It attracts ants and flies - you move out of the acre and you will get them again.
I leave a rotten turnip by the side of R-Tail (not currently wanting perfect town, so I don't care) and if I have a spare space prior to entering I'll catch one or both. You are talking less than 100 bells but - well it fills the inventory.
And villagers will ask for them in trade.

My difficult bugs are the tarantula & scorpion - I just don't see them very often, scorpion I find harder to catch than the spider.
Petaltail dragonfly is another I don't see very often (I know its time & season) - you can't catch on tours & keep it/bring back to town (well I haven't been able to, banded dragon fly you can bring back from tours like the balloon).

Edit I checked Liquefy (gamefaqs) about the fly - its garbage (trash), raffelasia (whatever its called) & rotten turnips. Curiously not rotten fruit, apparently that attracts only ants.

Last edited:
I'm torn between the tarantula and the banded dragonfly, I don't want to run to catch it and destroy all my flowers ahaha

Bee, Tarantula and scorpion.
oops - the fly is easy - I haven't checked to see what all items it will appear on (probably trash you fish out or river/sea) - but it can take a long time in showing up.

The easy way is a rotten turnip - just buy the min (10) when the price is low with Joan, don't sell, rots in 7 days, or even a min backward time travel will rot it.
It attracts ants and flies - you move out of the acre and you will get them again.
I leave a rotten turnip by the side of R-Tail (not currently wanting perfect town, so I don't care) and if I have a spare space prior to entering I'll catch one or both. You are talking less than 100 bells but - well it fills the inventory.
And villagers will ask for them in trade.

My difficult bugs are the tarantula & scorpion - I just don't see them very often, scorpion I find harder to catch than the spider.
Petaltail dragonfly is another I don't see very often (I know its time & season) - you can't catch on tours & keep it/bring back to town (well I haven't been able to, banded dragon fly you can bring back from tours like the balloon).

Edit I checked Liquefy (gamefaqs) about the fly - its garbage (trash), raffelasia (whatever its called) & rotten turnips. Curiously not rotten fruit, apparently that attracts only ants.
I've had tons of trash in my town and never seen a single fly. The only thing that worked for me was the spoiled turnip.

Last edited:
The mole cricket. I never knew how to get it, but luckily I stumbled upon it sometime and then I finally got it.

Tarantula, scorpion, and most beetles. I haven't even seen a tarantula or scorpion yet though, so they're definitely the worst :/

definitely the tarantula and scorpion - I still haven't caught them yet rip. the mole cricket can also be pretty hard to catch :/

Def mole cricket or the tarantula/scorpion, I also found that finding the scarab beetle was rather hard too ;;

The tarantula, scorpion and the bee. I say he bee is the hardest right now. My little fingers are bad at multi tasking and being fast enough to hit them with the net. Plus their theme song scares me! It makes me nervous.

The mole cricket was easily the most difficult to catch for me

Scorpion, definitely! I ran across it four times in one night and I wasn't able to catch it.

I gotta agree with tarantula. It taunted me for years and kept attacking me xD I nabbed one though finally

Scorpion and tarantula were the hardest one for me. Scorpion was harder to see since it's red and likes to blend in with the flowers.

For the mole cricket I dropped by my spare town that didn't have a lot of trees. No worrying about digging up flowers or shrubs.
Headphones for all 3 bugs helps.

the tarantula and scarab beetle, neither of them were showing up for me, i spent days walking around and scaring off bugs trying to find them lol

I had some trouble with the orchid mantis because it was so hard to see and easy to run off if you aren't paying attention. I didn't know that for some beetles to spawn you have to have a tree stump. Wharf roaches and dragonflies move crazy fast if you startle them, so it took me several tries to catch those. Obligatory: tarantula/scorpion

The scarab beetle is easier to catch on the middle trees on the island. It's later at night. Think it's around 12am. I went in and out of the hut until I found one.

The orchid mantis is easier on the island or during a tour that will let you take bugs home. I placed a few white flowers on my island during the day and caught them there. Picked up the flowers and stored them in the box for next time.

Last edited:
Back