Thoughts on discussing sensitive topics on TBT

I think there should be a specific section for threads relating to politics and ethics and things like that. Maybe only make it accessible to members with a certain post count or something.

having a high post count doesn't equate to actual food for thought when that person types or not. lol

I don't really like the arguments Brewster's Cafe has to offer almost all the time. Which is basically why I avoid chatting in those threads.

But still, it is pretty mandatory, but it isn't a crime not to post in it.

having a high post count doesn't equate to actual food for thought when that person types or not. lol

I meant to avoid trolls, and people who care so little about their membership here they don't care whether they're banned or not. :p

I just think this particular forum isn't the ideal place for me to discuss anything touchy. I know there are many younger users on this forum and I can't discern where I should and shouldn't censor myself....

I think there isn't a real problem with discussing 'sensitive topics' on TBT. Granted, this is a forum for a specific series of Nintendo games, so it probably wouldn't be a focus point, but there's no harm in maybe having a sub-board for discussions that could be sensitive. I don't know if it should be age/post-gated, but maybe some strict moderation to keep threads safe.

I also sort of think that a topic is only as bad as you make it out to be. Discussing religion, politics, gender/sexuality, etc. is not inherently bad and I feel that a lot of people feel that they are taboo because of how quickly a discussion becomes an argument.

In my opinion, if the person you're talking to decides to get heated and start to become angry, they aren't a good conversationalist! :)

i dont really mind it, but when i come on i want tbt to be happy and stuff

but nothing is really happy in this world :(

i dont really mind it, but when i come on i want tbt to be happy and stuff

but nothing is really happy in this world :(
#deep #grunge #emo

Internet drama is insignificant and none of the people you argue with matter so it's just some good fun honestly I love a good tag team roast

I think some things are fine to discuss such as politics and sensitive topics around the world. However once you start talking about sensitive topics pertaining to your real life and getting too personal that's where I draw the line. Im not sensitive so the line to cross is really far out there. I'd just rather talk about happy things on here. We have enough sadness and sensitivity in the real world.

I think we should be able to discuss most of what want. I mean, as the users of this forum, we're kind of what keeps this thing from being forgotten. I understand, however, that kids also use this forum, so I do think that we should stay away from topics like sex or drug use.

Discussing religion, politics, gender/sexuality, etc. is not inherently bad and I feel that a lot of people feel that they are taboo because of how quickly a discussion becomes an argument.

I agree completely... I'm LGBT+ myself (bisexual) and I do think those things need to be accepted! In my opinion, posts that condemn or put down LGBT+ people should not be allowed on this site. That's sort of what I consider "sensitive"; the hateful opinions.

It's sad that the topic of marginalized people tend to be sensitive topics, because I think the world would be better if everyone accepted and respected marginalized people.

The kind of stuff I don't approve of is hateful opinions that harm people, and sensitive topics tend to make the hateful people speak out? It's kind of hard to explain.

The only upside of the hatred is that we would know which people to avoid.

Anyway I don't think that racism, homophobia, transphobia, sexism, ableism, or bullying should even be allowed on TBT.

- - - Post Merge - - -

itheyre important topics to discuss. if someone doesnt want to get involved in the discussion they dont have to.

i hate when people "just want everyone to be friends" and when they call any discussion on a sensitive subject, or even any discussion where two people have different views, a Fight and go into the thread and go all "let's all be friends uwu just agree 2 disagree !!!"
it's so incredibly ignorant and stupid to go into controversial threads and write stuff like "just b friends :')", "uh oh this is going 2 b DRAMA !!!", "pleas stop discussion threads im on tbt for the boring food polls uwu" or whatever. usually controversial topics and sensitive topics have a very good reason to be cobtroversial and/or sensitive so telling people to not "fight" (aka discuss it lol) w other ppl is rly ??????????.
people often want to avoid controversial topics because they dont want people to get upset. but these topics need to be discussed because no matter how much you try to act like controversial, sensitive and/or bad things don't exist they still do and it's not lokely that it will change unless attention is brought to it.
if you dont want o be in discussions about controversial things then dont, but dont tell other people to not discuss it.

also obviously this doesnt apply to every topic But "trying to make everyone be friends !!!" can be siding with one side of the argument. if person A wants something to change and person B wants things to stay the same and person C butts in to tell everyone to stop discussing the issue because of "fighting", person C is siding with B. bc if nothing changes B has gotten what they want. C isnt neutral but in my experience C usually claims to be neutral and sees themself as the person who Brings Peace and isn't mean to anyone. idk if thats confusing but Hhhhh.

that A B C thing i wrote above can be applied to a lot of discussions about power and oppression. if there's a discussion about gender (lol whomst on this site would ever discuss gender ha ha) and A says "i want more rights for trans people" and B says "no lol" and C is like "stop fighting !!! everyone stop posting and never talk about this ever again !!!" then C has supported B, even if they don't agree with B's views. that means that C is allowing transphobia which makes C a transphobe but Cs keep defending themselves w their "i just want everyone to be friends uwu"
it doesnt matter what C actually thinks, C can still b transphobic

I really do see your point and I agree. I may not have worded my original post correctly because I'm not against what you just said.

I think transphobes are bad and deserve to be banned, because trans people need to be accepted.

I consider hate topics sensitive subjects. Like if someone posted something like "Lol trans people don't deserve rights" and nobody condemned them. I've personally seen things like that happen far too much. The world is a really sad place.

I think it's uncalled for when people talk about their hate when it's not even related. Such as a YouTube comment making a joke at the expense of Latino/a people, for example. That's the kind of stuff I think is bad.

So sorry if my original post got misunderstood. I was basically venting in it because sensitive topics give me really bad anxiety because there's always the potential that someone will ruin the friendly environment with their hate.

Again, I wish that the acceptance of marginalized people DIDN'T HAVE TO BE CONTROVERSIAL. I want everyone to accept them, no matter what.

Last edited:
Sometimes I'll type out a long thought-out response on here on a sensitive topic, but I'll be like "I'm on an animal crossing forum what am I doing?" lolol.

I think it's fine to comment and post these kinds of threads, I just avoid them because I feel like there are better places to discuss these things (totally personally though, if you like discussing it here and it suits you best, thats great!)

The reality of TBT is that a lot of its membership is too young to be able to handle their emotions properly, so any serious thread would just go down the drain because every teenager would think that they are 100% in the right and have no interest in a debate.

I think not allowing people to participate on this website because of what they think, is a form of discrimination in itself. Grow some skin, who cares what other people think? If someone doesn't like me I really don't care. I have much more important things to do than worry about someone anonymous on the internet.

Personally, I have no care for politics other than basic human rights. Everyone should be accepted, no matter what...but there are always those that will bash others. Mostly to make themselves feel better, or they learn it from those they idolize. Maybe I'm just more accepting than most.

It's great that we have the internet, because we can be completely anonymous and say our views on things without fear of getting attacked for it in real life...well, unless you come across that one ******* who decides to dox you for it. But I never let that effect what I say, and it helps that I don't go looking for trouble.

What I'm saying is: Don't be afraid or scared to speak your mind, and be willing to listen to another person's opinions so you can better understand where they come from. Sure, there will be those who blindly hate. But if you stay cam and mature about it, you'll most likely end up helping the other person without getting your hands dirty over it.

itheyre important topics to discuss. if someone doesnt want to get involved in the discussion they dont have to.

i hate when people "just want everyone to be friends" and when they call any discussion on a sensitive subject, or even any discussion where two people have different views, a Fight and go into the thread and go all "let's all be friends uwu just agree 2 disagree !!!"
it's so incredibly ignorant and stupid to go into controversial threads and write stuff like "just b friends :')", "uh oh this is going 2 b DRAMA !!!", "pleas stop discussion threads im on tbt for the boring food polls uwu" or whatever. usually controversial topics and sensitive topics have a very good reason to be cobtroversial and/or sensitive so telling people to not "fight" (aka discuss it lol) w other ppl is rly ??????????.
people often want to avoid controversial topics because they dont want people to get upset. but these topics need to be discussed because no matter how much you try to act like controversial, sensitive and/or bad things don't exist they still do and it's not lokely that it will change unless attention is brought to it.
if you dont want o be in discussions about controversial things then dont, but dont tell other people to not discuss it.

also obviously this doesnt apply to every topic But "trying to make everyone be friends !!!" can be siding with one side of the argument. if person A wants something to change and person B wants things to stay the same and person C butts in to tell everyone to stop discussing the issue because of "fighting", person C is siding with B. bc if nothing changes B has gotten what they want. C isnt neutral but in my experience C usually claims to be neutral and sees themself as the person who Brings Peace and isn't mean to anyone. idk if thats confusing but Hhhhh.

that A B C thing i wrote above can be applied to a lot of discussions about power and oppression. if there's a discussion about gender (lol whomst on this site would ever discuss gender ha ha) and A says "i want more rights for trans people" and B says "no lol" and C is like "stop fighting !!! everyone stop posting and never talk about this ever again !!!" then C has supported B, even if they don't agree with B's views. that means that C is allowing transphobia which makes C a transphobe but Cs keep defending themselves w their "i just want everyone to be friends uwu"
it doesnt matter what C actually thinks, C can still b transphobic

^^^ this. too many people want to take claim of the "neutral side" for reasons either they don't know anything about the situation, or do side with the person who wants to conserve the way things are or were, but whether they know it or not to not fight for the change is assisting the ones who don't want to change. by choosing to the stay ignorant or unaware or uncaring of the situation is choosing B.

by choosing to be neutral is choosing to be passive/in denial of the wrongdoings of person B or acceptance of immorality.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Sometimes I'll type out a long thought-out response on here on a sensitive topic, but I'll be like "I'm on an animal crossing forum what am I doing?" lolol.

I think it's fine to comment and post these kinds of threads, I just avoid them because I feel like there are better places to discuss these things (totally personally though, if you like discussing it here and it suits you best, thats great!)

me sometimes when i type out a tangent ^^. though personally for the most part, i dont really look at it that way. i look at it as any other chatroom with a bunch of other people. although its important to know what person im talking to and where they come from. of course this is an AC forum and there are posts for AC and its best to keep politics/morality/that deep stuff and such out of AC and sunshine stuff. which is why we have brewster. brewster is pretty much the only forum on this site to find heavy topics, and its so much easier to find any other happy happy sunshine topic than it is to find a heavy topic throughout this entire site.

honestly i don't like 'discussing' sensitive topics at all. like what is there to discuss? more helping, less debating.
and i hate talking with people who are obviously racist or sexist or ableist and such. sure you can try to call out their harmful views, but there's no arguing with that and fixing someone who doesn't want to or can't realize their own problems and how they harm others, because more often than not they take it as personal offense bc of their self-entitlement. the only thing we should 'discuss' is positivity and acknowledgement of everyone's differences

i agree LGBTQ+ matters, race matters, mental health matters; these should be talked about openly. by talking about them you'll have less children confused about who they are, or what's 'wrong' with them. and by talking about these matters, it raises awareness of them & also humanizes & normalize people that struggle daily with them, because many others still shun & even undermine their issues as though they're taboo, or separate from a societal issue, or are of no concern. it's one thing to not want to discuss/share your own struggles w them *ahem* but to find them offensive, well those kinds of topics are only sensitive to those that are racist, homophobic, or privileged enough to choose to dismiss (^:

but i reeeally don't find BTF, an animal crossing forum, an appropriate place to talk about things like politics or war considering the majority of the userbase is 12-16 lol. like.. good on any older folks who want to bring them up seriously here, and are capable of carrying a debate here, but it would still be more mature to talk about it on on a more formal and appropriate website, or within a personal conversation. still, us on the older side should still choose to set a good example for the younger users and be positive when it comes to acknowledging diversity, discovering/experimenting w sexuality, seeking help for mental issues, etc.

Last edited:
Back