Childhood misconceptions

I thought eighteen wheeler trucks were the real "monster trucks" and if there was one next to us on the road outside my window, I needed to hide or they were somehow going to get me

Now I'm scared of them because they cause a ton of accidents and take up the whole road while driving slow

I learned most of my childhood misconceptions from cartoons, my parents and I had a language barrier during my childhood.

1) toys would wake up at night when kids would go to sleep
2) babies could talk in their own language
3) mom's had eyes in the back of their head

i just remembered one

when i was little i used to have audial hallucinations p regularly especially when i was alone & it was rlly quiet so i thought i had the ability that i could hear random people from anywhere around the world talking. i thought that was cool but wow itt actually sounds really scary & schizo?? anyway i havent had an audial hallucination in a ocuple years but the last time i did it was actually really terrifying and i cried, it started off pretty 'normally' (as normal as hallucinating can get) but then there was a voice of a man and he kept getting louder and louder till it was like he was yelling

Last edited:
i thought being a virgin had something to do with olive oil. that virgin people just have olive oil all over them, so that made them a virgin.

I thought airplanes were ghosts.
You bought licorice from the liquor store.
A watermelon would grow in your tummy, if you swallowed the seeds.
Never swallow gum. You might die.

When I was like 2 I thought that a country was a state and a state was a continent. I also couldn't fathom that there were people who lived somewhere other than where I lived.

Like, we had literally no education on lgbtq+ terms and culture until I got way older so I had no idea what "bisexual" was.. gay bees?*

I mean they told you what being homosexual was but that was it lol :| I know what is nowadays thankfully enough but yeah a lot of the things were pretty new until you got real old and could read about on your own pretty much.

*(the swedish word for bee(animal) is "bi" (pronounced the same way as bee but not "bi" as in bisexual" so yeah lol)

YES I was a cringe child, don't judge me. Also I was brought up pretty sheltered as well lol :v

Last edited:
When I was in elementary my mom tried to tell me that if I stood out in the rain I'd get sick but somehow I misheard her and thought she said that if I looked at the rain I would get sick so I was always afraid to look out the window if it was raining

For some reason when I was extremely young I thought the entire plant was just an island surrounded by ocean. I have no idea where I got that idea, I lived near Chicago.

I realize I'm reviving a dead thread, but I just remembered this one, and I was going to say (I thought this was relevant because of the meme), I used to think as toddler that Kmart stores got the "K" at the beginning of the name because it stood for "Karen", because I thought a woman named Karen ran the store. :p

Like, we had literally no education on lgbtq+ terms and culture until I got way older so I had no idea what "bisexual" was.. gay bees?*

I mean they told you what being homosexual was but that was it lol :| I know what is nowadays thankfully enough but yeah a lot of the things were pretty new until you got real old and could read about on your own pretty much.

*(the swedish word for bee(animal) is "bi" (pronounced the same way as bee but not "bi" as in bisexual" so yeah lol)

YES I was a cringe child, don't judge me. Also I was brought up pretty sheltered as well lol :v

This, is kinda cute thou, gay bees🐝🌈🐝

I remember watching a video back in elementary school that married women have children, like un-married women did not and that to have children you have to he married. Funny considering my parents weren't married when they had me.

Last edited:

Is that really something that needs to be taught?

when i was like 6 or 7 i was bloated one time so i thought i was pregnant so i started panicking and crying all day and my mum finally found me sniffling to myself and asked what was wrong so i said something like AM I PREGNANT : ( and she just laughed and said no and told me it doesnt work like that

To add to the shenanigans above me, when I was little- maybe 3 or 4- and still didn't understand reproduction, I thought parents bought their children.

And for some reason, I thought cartoons were being made as I watched them.

This one is reeeeally stupid, but when I was younger riding in the car with anyone, I was amazed that the blinkers just knew what direction the car would turn. I didn't know at the time that they were turned on by the driver and that they were used to tell other drivers which direction they were turning, I thought the blinkers were random flashing lights and the car somehow always knew which way we would turn. It's hard to explain.

Also those street lights that have more than three lights on them (the others being used as left turn signals), my brother and I used to joke that they were yo signal things like tornadoes and floods, idek why lmao

As a child I had a very limited knowledge of geography outside Canada. For example, I thought Rome was located in the middle of China. When I first heard the name United Kingdom my brain decided that it was some medieval version of the United States located on an island near Oregon. For a lot of other places, I had absolutely no idea where they were, just that they were out there somewhere. Luckily I can locate most countries on a world map today so that has sorted itself out.

Also for a while, toddler me was convinced there were aliens living on the Moon. I don't know what started that but it stopped being a thing once I learned how barren the Moon actually was.

Back