• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Childhood misconceptions

pastellrain

creator of whimsica
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Orange (Fruit)
I'm not sure how often this topic is posted but it's always a good one imo.

I can only think of three at the moment.

-I thought fires (in the real world) were completely random and could spring up anytime, anywhere. As you could imagine, I was deathly afraid of fires as a kid.

-I thought that a "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" was just a normal friend that happened to be the opposite gender of you, and when you grew up you were supposed to marry your opposite-gender friend. Strangely enough, I never wondered what you were supposed to do if you had more than one friend of the opposite gender.

-I thought you could ask Santa Claus to custom make you your very own video game. I wanted a Pok?mon game where you played as a Pok?mon and went on adventures... But then Mystery Dungeon came out, so I did get that wish anyway.

To avoid me seeing anything "bad" online, my parents convinced me that YouTube was a virus.

I thought Canada was in the sky since it's always above the U.S. in maps. That's So Raven didn't help.

Edit: I also thought the people on TV were acting live, I didn't realize until a while later that it was just re-runs.

Last edited:
I thought Canada was in the sky since it's always above the U.S. in maps. That's So Raven didn't help.

"Isn't Canada pretty tonight?" sorry i had to

I used to think that kissing made babies (but most kids did??)
Also I thought the Easter Bunny was a jerk cause he didn't bring what i wanted i feel so bad because my parents spent money and i didn't like what they gave me

I thought if I put my blanket over my head, monsters couldn't harm or see me. So when I got scared of noises at night or couldn't sleep, I'd put my blankie over my head and walk to my parent's room.

Basically like the invisibility cloak from Harry Potter.

I thought babies just randomly formed in a woman's body. Boy, was I wrong...

Similarly, I thought that babies were randomly formed in a woman's and men's body. I thought women gave birth to girls and men gave birth to boys...

I was also very wrong :p

- I believed that Santa, Easter Bunny, etc were real until I met the real world at the age of ten lmao

- Despite being raised as a Catholic, I did not understand the meaning of a virgin. I thought that Joseph and Mary just didn't have a romantic relationship so thy didn't hold hands or kiss.

- Whenever I blinked too fast or saw the spots when I closed my eyes, I thought I was dying so half the time I would refuse to sleep.

- My older sister once tried to warn me that I would get a headache and sore eyes if I played too much. Me being the overimaginative six year old girl that I was, I was convinced that someone would pop out of nowhere and beat me with a bat as punishment. Which is why I always check the bathroom curtains when I go into the bathroom >.<

- I never realized that pink hair wasn't natural so I would get really jealous when I saw people with dyed hair and ask my mom why I wasn't born with purple hair.

- I thought that the moon actually followed me whenever I was in a car so I would call the moon my lonely friend and wonder if the moon had any friends.

I had like this misconception of the radio not being "real" and everybody was working hard to create those fake musicians with the people we see being models while the people we hear are different trained singers and I don't know. I thought like some random person made **** up and everybody created the likeness of celebrities based on those ideals, but none of it ever true. It really makes no sense and I can't explain it, bottomline I thought the status of being a celebrity was made up and just sold to us.

I suppose this is way I still can't idolize any musician or actor nowadays, I just don't see them in that light.

To avoid me seeing anything "bad" online, my parents convinced me that YouTube was a virus.

Oh my god, my Dad did the same thing! He told me that Internet Explorer would give our computer a virus.

I guess he was trying to help me avoid the horrors of IE.

As a kid my parents told me it was illegal to drive with the interior light on in the car

my boyfriend tells me that wtf!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh my god, my Dad did the same thing! He told me that Internet Explorer would give our computer a virus.

I guess he was trying to help me avoid the horrors of IE.

my dad said myspace, facebook and youtube was a virus too LMAO is this a parent thing?

he even had me convinced that yahoo caused viruses LOOOL

I used to think gum would stay in your stomach for seven years and block your stomach off if you swallowed it. Whoops.

You know those funny flashing lights and crazy patterns you can "see" after a while if you keep your eyes squeezed shut for a few moments? I used to think it was a power only I had and that I could have visions of outer space with it lmao

Back