Childhood misconceptions

I feel like an idiot for saying this but when I was a kid I thought women get pregnant and have a kid when they eat too much haha

Swallowing seeds would make you pregnant with a fruit baby, and that viruses in your body were like mean little attacking alien things inside of you because of shows...(Thanks Jimmy Neutron...)

Also not a misconception but just a horrible fear, anytime we went to a grocery store and my mom wanted me to return the basket I would think she was going to take off and leave me, one time she started the car when I was halfway to the return port and I ran back to the car screaming and crying "No!" thinking she was going to leave me, I think it was because my dad had left so I figured it was me and my mom was going to as well.

I thought of another one...for a very long time I believed that the sky was the boundary of the earth and part of it, like we live on a solid sphere and a hollow sphere defines the boundary/edge of the earth. So basically I thought we loved in a ball lol. Unfortunately I believed that to a very late age too...

I thought my dad got everything for free because he worked at walmart,

I thought the rain was God's tears,

I thought there was a dead guy buried under my house, etc

i didnt know people were supposed to have nipples so i scratched on one of mine so parts of it fell off and i still have a scar
also i didnt believe in dinosaurs until i was like 8, i though they were just action figures and that adults pretended they were real like they pretend santa is real

my sister mixed up caffeine and cocaine a lot as a kid and she told our friends there was cocaine in coffee lmao

I have no idea why, but until I was like 10 I thought that Mr. Clean was what God looked like. I also used to hear my heartbeat when I would be trying to go to sleep at night, and I thought that the pounding sound was a skeleton coming up the stairs to get me.

when i'm all finished eating cereal and all that's left is milk & the light above reflects on it, the shadow looks like a crescent moon. i rly thought i had the moon in my bowl that's where it goes during the day

-the moon would follow us in the car

-if i wrote to the tooth fairy asking for what i wanted and put the letter under my pillow it would work

-one time i had a dream that there was a portal to another home in my closet, essentially having a family living in my closet and they were super nice. when i woke up i tried to write a letter to them and left it in my closet

-i thought if you ate the seeds of fruit they would actually start growing in your stomach so i would be scared and extra careful not to eat seeds and one time i accidentally swallowed a watermelon seed and i started crying bc i was so scared just imagining watermelon vines crawling out of my mouth and stuff

-i thought gum wasn't digestible bc thats what literally everyone would say so sometimes i would lay in bed at night thinking of how much gum must be in my stomach and if i'll still remain in okay health in a few years

-these are kind of nsfw but???? when i was little i thought s*x was just having a guy pee on ur face and stuff omg
also when i discovered m*st*rb*tion i was worried my dead relatives would see me up in heaven and be disgusted in me so i would hied under the blankets and pray to god for forgiveness

thats all i can remember rn

Last edited:
I thought babies just randomly formed in a woman's body. Boy, was I wrong...

I thought the same thing. I also thought you had to take medicine(like a liquid or some pills) in order to prevent a baby from forming.

I also thought rocks were a type of plant.

Last edited:
I also thought you had to take medicine(like a liquid or some pills) in order to prevent a baby from forming.

actually this IS correct and 90% true (birth control success rate statistic lol)

Last edited:
1) Used to think males and females had the same anatomy
2) When I found out that wasn't true, I thought it was a cylinder
3) I was super gullible and believed that frick frack was done with clothes on and only with the intention of child making

my dadd told me taht he was super man and i believed him lol

I was told when i get older (adult) i could do anything i want, aka freedom. that a lie, theres too much responsibility and priorities.

I was told when i get older (adult) i could do anything i want, aka freedom. that a lie, theres too much responsibility and priorities.

Amen to that brother/sister.

-I used to think that I'd get a reward for telling the cops about any crimes I witnessed. (Not true. Life lesson 1: Don't mention that neighborhood pothead to the cops. You'll be the one in trouble. I went into hiding for two weeks until the cops caught that guy for 1) pot and 2)attempted murder.)

-I was always told that high school would be the quickest years of my life. Me getting kicked out of college proved all of them wrong.

-I used to think my neighbor was a human by day and a werewolf at night. Found out later that he just was clothed during the day and naked at night.
-I believed that babies came from storks.
-I thought that Shrek and Cat in the Hat were kid-friendly.
-I thought that if I ate watermelon seeds I would poop watermelons. Thanks mom.
-I used to think it hurt getting spanked....then he used a belt. Proved me wrong.
-I used to get mad because I thought my Mom was calling me a pie as an insult, but she really just called me a sweetiepie.
-I used to think that cowlicks came about because a cow came in your house at night and licked you.

I wasn't the smartest pineapple in the patch.

I thought that when two countries were at war, they would go to an entirely different continent called War where they would fight. I also believed they had water breaks and lunch breaks, where they would go and eat and hang out, and then fighting would resume after an hour or so.

I was a weird kid....

My mom told me that if I swallow gum, a tree will grow in my stomach.....one day, when I did....

Also, when I was like 8 and read my older sister's book that was about anorexia, I was crying that I had it and keep pronouncing it wrong XDDD it seems so funny when I remember it

You know those funny flashing lights and crazy patterns you can "see" after a while if you keep your eyes squeezed shut for a few moments? I used to think it was a power only I had and that I could have visions of outer space with it lmao
I used to think the strange colors I was seeing were some sort of living lights and one time I tried to show one to my mom, lol. I'm going to assume she thought I was showing her an imaginary friend.

I'm not sure how often this topic is posted but it's always a good one imo.

I can only think of three at the moment.

-I thought fires (in the real world) were completely random and could spring up anytime, anywhere. As you could imagine, I was deathly afraid of fires as a kid.

-I thought that a "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" was just a normal friend that happened to be the opposite gender of you, and when you grew up you were supposed to marry your opposite-gender friend. Strangely enough, I never wondered what you were supposed to do if you had more than one friend of the opposite gender.

-I thought you could ask Santa Claus to custom make you your very own video game. I wanted a Pok?mon game where you played as a Pok?mon and went on adventures... But then Mystery Dungeon came out, so I did get that wish anyway.

Here are a few of mine:

- I thought that if I saw my veins through my skin, I was gonna die. I'm not exactly sure why, but I had a feeling that my veins were gonna literally pop out of my skin and I'd bleed to death.

- Until I was 12, I thought my stomach was my whole abdomen. Like it was a giant balloon that just liquified my food, never thought that there was also other organs and intestines that help with that. Mostly because I have a sensitive stomach, and...yeah, I'm not gonna finish that.

Those are the major ones I remember,

I thought that 'illegal alien' meant aliens from outerspace
Same here!

I also thought the exit signs on highways led you to your death (as in 'exit life' or something, and also partially because the arrows always pointed on an upwards angle rather than left or right). You can imagine my panic the first time I noticed us taking a highway exit (which was actually a few years after I first got scared of them; I probably just didn't notice if we took any before). I always wondered why so many people took the highway exits.

Also, I thought that hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, etc. would hit my city overnight and kill me every night when I was really little, even if it wasn't raining or storming and even though we didn't live next to the ocean or any fault lines or anything. I was really paranoid back then.

Back