• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Piano Playing!

Bunnilla

gone
Bells
Tasty Cake
Holiday Candy Cane 2016
Purple Candy
Red Candy
Father's Day Carnation
Mother's Day Carnation
Pikachu Easter Egg
Pikachu Easter Egg
Sakura Easter Egg
Sakura Easter Egg
So I'm supposedly getting a Yahama piano tomorrow, does anyone have any tips for learning? This would be my first time seriously playing a type of instrument and I want to actually be good at it. Also feel free to share if you play the piano or any other instruments / how did you learn or what works for you. c:

I used to play, but it was weird for me because I never learnt properly. I learnt how to play by ear, and my hand positions were never right.

I also seemed to only learn by memory, too. I used to be able to play really long, complex pieces, but I couldn't now because it's been so long.

Try not to get into any of those habits, 'cause they messed me up.

Fellow piano player here c: As anyone will tell you practice is essential if you want to improve. I would suggest learning all the scales (majors and minors, including the black key ones) and doing finger exercises (I have a book at home that specifically focuses on the left hand, and another that focuses on fast/speed). For practice I suggest around 40 minutes to an hour a day if you can manage daily practice. I also tend to practice scales as warm-up before I move onto playing full songs.

As for actually learning songs, start small and work your way up. Once you get the hang of learning the notes in a song then play some songs you like! It makes practice more fun if you play music you like listening to :) If you don't know what a song quite sounds like, then go on Youtube and listen to others play it.

If you make a lot of mistakes or some stuff is just frustrating, it's nothing to fuss over. I've been playing for a little more than 10 years but I still only consider myself a mediocre player, lol. But if piano's a hobby you really want to stick with it's definitely worth it :)

I played both violin and piano, I dropped piano because it was too much for me. I gotta tell you- I've been playing violin for over 10 years now. There have been plenty of times when I wanted to quit. I argued with my parents, we literally tore each other apart. But it all paid off for me now, and I'm really happy I didn't drop out. So if you decide to pick piano up, always remember why you chose the instrument in the first place! :D

Back