• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Does anyone else like that villagers plot wherever?

macaire

It's me
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
So I've seen a lot of people commenting on how they want the signs brought back so they know where villagers are moving in. The other day I played City Folk again and realized how annoying I found the signs. They were everywhere! How did I ever get a path down in that game? I'm very happy with the current way of villagers plotting. With the amiibo update you can use patterns to keep them from going in some places and I have used that many times. Plot resetting isn't even a thing I have to deal with anymore.

Long story short: I'm happy the signs are gone and I don't want them back.

Last edited:
It's been so long that I've actually played the previous versions, I had to look it up what you meant.

They're kind if similar to the version in acnl. Except they won't reappear when the villager moves out. I am indifferent if the signposts would come back. It's kind of nice to see NPCs leave little notes around town. Plus I kind of have knack for reading signs.

City Folk doesn't have as many PWPs like acnl (GameCube version sorta), so I don't see them likely to appear or especially the special character messages. Or if they did, it'd be not as invasive.

I kind of do tbh, I like having random plotting villagers too because it just makes me feel as if it's pure random and natural, always a challenge to plan the town around them too but I also lowkey miss the cute commentary on the signs, I wish there was a to let them post in certain areas or have them post their tips on the notice board or something!!

Not really. They choose awful spots but my priority was getting them in and designing around them. I never wanted to try plot resetting.

To me, your argument is pretty much a "less of the two evils" situation:

I've never played the older games, but I think signs would have had the issue of you never controlling where they live - they're controlled for you. I do get the idea of the signs sticking out, too. But at least you would know exactly the spots they would move in.

In New Leaf, you get some variation over where villagers live, and the places are not fixed areas. You also don't have to deal with signs. However, villagers can move in very unpredictably, and the measures you must do to control where they move can be very annoying. I fear that if I started playing pre-update, I would go haywire in all the time in plot-resetting - and technically, plot-resetting is an exploit in the game that I don't think the developers intended to give players.

To me, why not have the best of both? Let us make and set up signs that tell where villagers can move within the boundary limits - and make it so we only need to set one up when a new villager is going to move into your town in advance!

Signs were terrible, but still hate the plot plopping, especially when they ruin your orchards :,)

I used to kind of like it because I had no plotting issues in my first New Leaf town; all but two villagers moved in a very nice spot and only one of those two was really annoying, but I liked the randomness of it. However, in my current town I get the opposite; nearly all of my villagers seem to go out of their way to find the most aggravating spots that they know will drive me up the wall the most, and that's turned me off quite a bit. I also thought the little notes on the signs in previous games were a nice touch; I didn't care about having them stick out, but I never really landscaped my towns, either. I think at this point I'm leaning more towards having the signs, just because I really despise where almost my entire village has placed their houses and I think the signs look kind of nice.

I think it's slightly a double-edged sword? When you're not ready and they crush your hybrid flowers and well placed trees and block paths that's so annoying but then you can get them all grouped in one place or in rows or how ever you want them. That's a lot better if you're willing to take the time to plot reset. It would be much simpler, if as the mayor, you were giving the option of placing their plots when they move in - like with Isabelle and Public Works Projects. I suppose there's always positives and negatives.

All my villagers wreck stuff so...no I miss the signs. I know there's patterns but I'm doing dirt paths so...it's not helping me right now lol.

I miss the signs because it is nostalgic and helpful however it extremely limits creativity. im glad I can choose where the houses go.

Back