Corruption question

walnut

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Really hope this is the right place to post this, lol. But last night, I was reading a bunch of horror stories about people with corrupted town data and it was getting me really anxious. But I also noticed that most of the articles and posts I was reading were written around 2013-2014. So I guess I'm just curious: is corruption as common now as it used to be? Has the WA update fixed anything? Or do I still need to be worried?

At one point I thought my game was toast actually, it got really glitchy and would pause for excessive amounts of time where I would be frozen in place while running around or checking the mail or something. It got so bad that my sister gave me her copy of New Leaf so I could start over since she hardly ever played it, but I did updates on my 3ds system and then the game itself and that seemed to fix the problem for whatever reason. I'm thinking that maybe not updating or people giving you hacked items without your knowledge might affect the game? This was only about a year ago so idk about the timeline or anything but maybe some of the later updates helped fix bugs, that would be my guess anyway. It's probably just that nintendo releases updates to fix bugs when necessary like most other games/systems; idk about the WA update, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. From what I can tell not many people have problems with corruption.

Mine corrupted a while after the update, I did time travel a lot to scan my card to get the coupons but on that day I just turned it on, as I walked out of my house it just went black and a big red warning saying my save file was corrupted. I actually cried as had had it since the day it came out. Thinking back now and email from nintendo made me think it was a power issue on my DS. Luckily it was my second game. After a small break I re started my town and with the help of some very special friends managed to get to the point I love my town again. It has scared me though and I rarely time travel now, just in case.

Unfortunately town corruptions can just happen out of nowhere. My old town was doing perfectly fine for a year after I got it, but in July 2015 it just randomly corrupted and disappeared.

I've had my new town for about 2 years now and nothing has happened to it... yet.

It does seem really upsetting when you lose a town to corruption, but after I started my new town I wasn't as upset about it. Cause, you know, all in all its just a game.

You shouldn't worry about your town corrupting too much
I mean, for me it just happened on a normal day, I don't think the game needs something to trigger it to corrupt. Just gotta hope for the best and take good care of your game. I'm sure it'll be fine. Like katysu said, the chances of it actually happening for no reason are very slim.

Unfortunately town corruptions can just happen out of nowhere. My old town was doing perfectly fine for a year after I got it, but in July 2015 it just randomly corrupted and disappeared.

I've had my new town for about 2 years now and nothing has happened to it... yet.

It does seem really upsetting when you lose a town to corruption, but after I started my new town I wasn't as upset about it. Cause, you know, all in all its just a game.

You shouldn't worry about your town corrupting too much
I mean, for me it just happened on a normal day, I don't think the game needs something to trigger it to corrupt. Just gotta hope for the best and take good care of your game. I'm sure it'll be fine. Like katysu said, the chances of it actually happening for no reason are very slim.

Good advise x

Oh gosh. I guess I'll just have to hope it won't randomly happen to me, then. I get too attached to my towns for my own good OTL.

Eep this really scares me too. I haven't had a corrupted file in my years playing, but I've heard a few different ways a town can corrupt. Obviously if your game is glitchy and laggy it may be something to do with your cartridge/system, but here's what you should prevent:

- never power off when the game is loading (for example, the animation of the train buffer thing on your touch screen or when Isabelle is getting your town ready, Luna is uploading a dream etc etc.) I've even heard that after you save/quit playing, you should wait until the "animal crossing" sign appears before you power off
- don't drop your 3ds or cause the cartridge to pop out anytime during game play, this is probably for obvious reasons
- be careful trading with corrupted items or going into dream addresses that can cause your game to glitch.
- careful removing any files on your sd card that might relate to your game unless you know exactly what you're doing

I've time travelled excessively in all my games and I'm pretty sure that doesn't cause corruption. I've also flipped the wifi switch off during trades a couple times but I'm not 100% sure if that does anything to it, but I guess it's risky.

Last edited:
Now that I've started putting more time and effort into my town I've had passing thoughts of this happening too :eek: I try to be as careful as humanly possible when saving and shutting down, but I do time travel a lot (even though that doesn't seem to have anything to do with corruption). At this point I'm not sure I could push myself to start a new town from scratch. Part of the reason why I'm so eager to get my town ready for a dream address is so that if my town ever goes belly up, I can just buy a new cartridge and visit it in a dream. Now that I've written it out it sounds super narcissistic but whatever! :p

Last edited:
I once curropted my file by trying to see the pictures I had taken with the 3ds. I don't take pictures or try to get them out anymore because of it.

I think one way that might fix a corrupted file and avoid resetting your town would be to start a new character instead of loading a previous character and then save with the new character after building their house.

Back