ATTENTION: People with Borderline (BPD)

Weiland

Flick Fanboy 🦎💞
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Switch
7046-6089-3415
So, I'm pretty sure I might have this disorder (borderline personality disorder). I don't like self diagnosing but I fit pretty much all the symptoms and all the stories I've read about it. I already have schizotypal and schizoaffective, so having another mental disorder is the last thing I want but I really need to get help for it. I know a lot about clinical psychology, so I know it isn't another disorder. I also have the emotional intelligence of a young kid (I lose my temper really easily, get upset super easily, get excited easily, etc).

So, my point: Can any of you tell me your personal experiences or stories with this disorder? I'm curious as to whether or not I will fit in with those stories too.

Just ask a doctor and dont self diagnose because thats lame as ****

No one is 100% like another

I could try that (trust me self diagnosing is stupid) but I don't see a proper mental health professional for another few months.

I could try that (trust me self diagnosing is stupid) but I don't see a proper mental health professional for another few months.

Unless you have BPD specific treatments in mind, you could probably look into DBT for general coping.

If you wanted something like BPD meds, you should bring it up to your general doctor and have them refer you.

So, I'm pretty sure I might have this disorder (borderline personality disorder). I don't like self diagnosing but I fit pretty much all the symptoms and all the stories I've read about it. I already have schizotypal and schizoaffective, so having another mental disorder is the last thing I want but I really need to get help for it. I know a lot about clinical psychology, so I know it isn't another disorder. I also have the emotional intelligence of a young kid (I lose my temper really easily, get upset super easily, get excited easily, etc).

So, my point: Can any of you tell me your personal experiences or stories with this disorder? I'm curious as to whether or not I will fit in with those stories too.

I sometimes go through emotional child-like states for moments at a time. I don't know how to describe it but when it happens my emotions become sensitive and I act like a child. It took me years to become self aware of it.

My partner has bipolar disorder. I'm pretty sure I have one or two mental health issues myself, but I'd honestly prefer not to know.

You should definitely get checked out if you want to get help, though. Self-diagnosis' aren't the way to go. Once you know, you'll be able to get help, and you'll be in a position to learn more about it, if it turns out you have it.

My partner has bipolar disorder. I'm pretty sure I have one or two mental health issues myself, but I'd honestly prefer not to know.

You should definitely get checked out if you want to get help, though. Self-diagnosis' aren't the way to go. Once you know, you'll be able to get help, and you'll be in a position to learn more about it, if it turns out you have it.

It's important that you do know if you have any sort of mental illness. Living in denial isn't healthy.

Oh, and also, I had a friend with BPD. One of the nicest people I ever met. I don't really want to speak for other people, though, so I won't get into that.

When diagnosing BPD, there's a list of symptoms in a book somewhere that correspond with the disorder. If a doctor/mental health professional can tick off 5 related symptoms, they can normally diagnose with BPD then and go from there.

My stories are crazy extreme :> I often get super upset and angsty when something little happens, like a droplet of water falling into a volcano and the whole volcano spews lava across the valley. However I don't have incredibly bad mood swings like I did when/before being diagnosed. I still have attachment issues and avoid all friendships because of it.

i was about to recommend the other thread but i was going back over and noticed that you had already posted in that, aha!

i had been treated just for depression for about four years, and i always felt that there was something else going on. meds helped a little bit, but only to take the edge off the sadness. i was still having "emotional meltdowns" (which were essentially psychotic episodes) where i would just lose it - i'd either be in an almost uncontrollable rage, or completely inconsolable with crying, shaking and hyperventilating, etc. the thing that made it so difficult was that i couldn't identify the triggers, so i couldn't prepare for / avoid those situations. it was basically like there was a switch that flicked in my brain and suddenly i went into an "animalistic" (for lack of a better term) state that was based purely on instinct and emotion rather than logic. my mum even said once it was like i was possessed (lol thanks mum) but tbh it's kind of a good way to explain it - it was like i wasn't in control of my mind or body anymore. it could last a little while or up to an hour, but the worst part was that when i'd come out of it i'd have barely / no recollection of what happened. it's pretty scary to come to and have a whole period of time that you can't remember, and be told you did stuff you don't remember doing

i'm on mood stabilisers now (have been for about two years at this stage) so i don't get those crazy episodes anymore, but the rest of the bpd symptoms are still there. people talk about "black and white thinking" but with bpd it's like you have black and white emotions as well - it's all or nothing. i definitely used to have very unstable relationships - i would latch onto people immediately, and be terrified that they'd realise what a bad / broken person i was that i would constantly seek reassurance and attention from them. to a bpd it feels like a completely rational thing to do, but to a normal person receiving 5 text messages within ten minutes asking "are you mad at me" "sorry did i do something wrong omg i'm so sorry please don't hate me" "are you ignoring me what did i do" "i'm sorry i like you so much please don't leave me i didn't mean it" "please i need you don't leave me" is freaking terrifying, so invariably it pushes them away. i'm in a stable relationship now (he actually also has bpd which weirdly enough works?? we've been together over a year and a half and have never even had an argument, let alone split on each other) so i don't have that issue but the emotional instability is still a killer, especially once you start having to deal with adult stresses and responsibilities :')
when i was at my worst (in 2015) i was reeeeeally impulsive as well. i would binge and spend allllll my money, eat a tonne of food (or none at all), i was really promiscuous, got tattoos i really regret now, and self-harmed a lot.

um so basically that's my experience with bpd. i'm a lot better now, but i'm not gonna lie, it's still a struggle to cope. unfortunately bpd is really hard to treat (and some medical professionals flat-out refuse to diagnose you and/or treat you), and i know that it sucks feeling like you're adding something else onto the list of crap life's thrown at you, but if anything at least being aware of your symptoms and the way they effect you can help you prepare coping strategies and that kind of stuff.

not everyone with bpd responds to therapy, but DBT works best out of everything for borderline so take a look into that if you want! also idk if you're already on meds, but definitely ask about something that can maybe help stabilise your mood. unfortunately the reality with bpd is it can never be "cured" or go away, so it's about finding strategies to help you cope as best as you can day to day.

sorry for the essay (and sorry i couldn't end on a more positive note), but good luck!

Talk to your doctor if you're able to get a professional diagnosis, so then you can get treatment and support.
I'm someone living with BPD without treatment and so is my partner and it's unhealthy. Luckily we have each other as a support system but you should never rely on someone else for your well being. If you're able to / can afford it I suggest going to DBT, it really helped me when I was still able to attend it.

Back